Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary's post-game press conference

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by ptw1:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by miked1978:
next year we will be even younger with 3 new OL rookies.

I think we will sign two vetran O-lineman in free agency and draft a guy or two, maybe even 3 but only 1 will start. The key is getting a good O-Line coach....

BTW, Is it me or does it seem like everytime Wragge comes in for Baas, our O-Line plays better and move the ball better
?

I agree on both accounts. I say pass on a 1st round lineman. I rather they sign 2 average to above average lineman that I know what they will produce than take a chance on an unknown, especially the way Smiley, Baas, Rachal turned out. Save the 1st round picks for play-makers on the defensive side of the ball.

Smiley is actually a pretty good player.
I say sign the best Free Agent O-Lineman, draft one in the first round and maybe the 3rd or 4th round too.

Thats the point. He looks better in Mia then he did in SF. I don't trust the 9ers can develop an OL.

Smiley looked good in SF. he looked bad that one year under hostler and then he was out. he was a good player with the niners they just let him get away.

Same with Kyle Kosier and Harvey Dahl. Heck we could build a better O-Line of the guys we let go than the guys we have right now
By MATT MAIOCCO
PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 1:59 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 1:59 p.m.
GREEN BAY, Wis. — Coming off a takeaway fiesta against the Chicago Bears, the 49ers’ defensive backfield knew the standard had been set.

Coach Mike Singletary spent extra time in meetings with the 49ers’ secondary last week to emphasize that forcing turnovers was something he expected from the team’s cornerbacks and safeties.

But Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers was not nearly as generous as the Bears’ Jay Cutler.

Rodgers threw for 344 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions against the 49ers, who recorded five interceptions — four from the secondary — in the previous week’s game against Cutler.

“We expect it,” 49ers safety Dashon Goldson said. “Any secondary should do that. You got to get turnovers. You got to get off the field and give the offense a chance to score points.”

According to a source, Singletary last week challenged the 49ers’ defensive backs to make game-changing takeaways part of every week’s recipe. Singletary also asked the players in the defensive backfield what tools he could provide them with to assist them in doing their jobs.

“As coaches, they like to get a feel for what the players like and what they dislike,” 49ers cornerback Dre’ Bly said. “They don’t want to call plays we feel uncomfortable running. They try to put us in a position to win. For a team to be successful, you have to get opinions from players. We had discussions.”

When asked about Singletary’s message, Bly answered, “He was asking for a little more out of us.”

Despite their five-takeaway performance against the Bears, the 49ers rank tied for 14th in the NFL with a plus-1 takeaway/giveaway difference.

“Because we played well last week, that’s got to be the standard,” Bly said. “When you force turnovers you increase your chance of winning. I’m not going to say he basically called us out. The heat is on everybody to perform well, but when we do what we did last week, the chances of us winning are extremely highly.”

The time Singletary spent in meetings and discussion with the secondary did not pay dividends on Sunday. The 49ers did not get a strong game from cornerback Shawntae Spencer or Tarell Brown, who left the game in the second half with a left knee contusion.

“I think our corners were playing a little bit too loose, and I think they took advantage of some of those things,” Singletary said. “We have to challenge the receivers better. We did not tackle well. There are a number of things we didn’t do well.”

Sing spent more time with them this week and this is probably the worse they played all year
Man could the same thing that happened against the Rams have happened again? The defense played terrific against the Rams then get their asses handed to them against the Falcons because they thought they were hot s**t and didn't try. Then they get 5 turnovers against the Bears and walk into Green Bay thinking they were hot s**t and rubbing each others balls. Do you think that's what happened? Look at MadDog's thread to see how horrible they played, does our defense let their ego get the best of them?
  • JD81
  • Veteran
He had his hat over head eyes and head down the whole time but the worse thing is he keeps saying "we are a young team" as an excuse when we are not even a young team. I hope they roast him tomorrow, Lowell Cohen fire away!

Actually in terms of age we are close to the top of the league in regards to youth.
The talking is old already. Excuse after excuse. It's boring, like his team is.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
The talking is old already. Excuse after excuse. It's boring, like his team is.

Yup. It seems we have complained about the same thing for the last 5 years:
1) Offensive play calling
2) Poor line play on both sides of the ball
3) Consistent QB play- I hope Alex definitively is our guy by the end of 09'.
4) Coming together as one complete unit
One day fellas, one day we will be above .500 again and competing for a playoff berth, but I am questioning everything- all the way up to management.
MOAR SPREAD OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by JD81:
He had his hat over head eyes and head down the whole time but the worse thing is he keeps saying "we are a young team" as an excuse when we are not even a young team. I hope they roast him tomorrow, Lowell Cohen fire away!

Actually in terms of age we are close to the top of the league in regards to youth.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/forever-young-s.html

You nailed the biggest problem of all. Even if we get some GREAT O-line talent in the draft, they will still make rookie mistakes and need time to learn and jell. We'll have to bring in high-dollar veteran linemen if want to succeed next year.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

You nailed the biggest problem of all. Even if we get some GREAT O-line talent in the draft, they will still make rookie mistakes and need time to learn and jell. We'll have to bring in high-dollar veteran linemen if want to succeed next year.

at least one position on the line needs to be addressed in free agency, we have too many needs to get them all in the draft
I'm the last person to blame coaches but when you know your QB's (the most important postion) strengths, you play to those strengths. For uor coaches not to be doing this is ludicrous.
  • NM49ERFAN
  • Info N/A
It kind of sucks when we're already talking about what we need in the off season when we are in the middle of a season.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:

at least one position on the line needs to be addressed in free agency, we have too many needs to get them all in the draft

true. this is an uncapped FA right ? we could afford to get a legit RT or LG and draft the other. then we could draft eric berry, 2 more OL, PASS RUSH, PASS RUSH, PASS RUSH
knowing scotty mac they'll go pay big money for a bunch of has beens that aren't worth it. niners should go get a former lineman to come in as o line coach. i would like to see derrick deese showin these youngsters how to block. for years niners tried to get a replacement for him at left tackle and all he did was protect.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
MOAR SPREAD OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't Do It! Fired Martz for a reason!