There are 271 users in the forums

Im sick of the Rodgers is > Smith posts....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jesus.

And if the pats drafted David Carr he'd be in thre hof.

If the Steelers drafted Joey Harrington he'd have 3 SB rings.

Jesus Christ. Alex Smith is garbage. Aaron Rodgers is a hof QB.

We messed up! It happens!

Here's to the freaking CBA getting done soon!!!!
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Was Rodgers a better prospect than Smith when they entered the NFL? Yes
Should we have drafted Rodgers? Absolutely
Would Rodgers now be better than Alex if we had drafted him? Yes
Would Rodgers be as good as he is if we had drafted him? No
Would he have led us to the superbowl? Not a chance in hell. Our coaches never would have fully utilized his skills. We probably would have won the division a few times though- one and done in the playoffs.

Even with Harbaugh now?

With Rodgers we might have been good enough that Nolan would still be the coach and Harbaugh wouldn't even be in the picture. Not that I think our multiple losing seasons were in any way a good thing, but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you start to turn it around.

[ Edited by gravelburn on Feb 7, 2011 at 01:08:12 ]
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
The Yorks are worse than Rodgers is good. They would have ruined him, just the same as they did smith. With bad coaching.
Originally posted by dmatt:
The Yorks are worse than Rodgers is good. They would have ruined him, just the same as they did smith. With bad coaching.

They did ruin it in a sense. They hired NoWin and Scot DRUNK. 2 guys with no clue on how to run an NFL team. And you see who they picked and developed. If we had more competent GM's, player personnel directors and HC's we would not have had the problem.

But that's history now. So we have to go forward from here.
Paraphrasing Chris Mortensen from last week, "If the Niner's drafted Rodgers I don't think we would be talking about him".
The Rodgers/Smith debate could go on forever. The simple fact is we'll never know.

Someone has already posted that Smith was the most mishandled player in recent NFL history, and I would agree with that. When he came out of college most pundits said that he was raw and would have to sit for a year in order to learn the offence, whereas Rodgers may not have had the potential of Smith, he would be able to start sooner.... oh, and he looked as though he would be pretty good in a WCO, which our then OC Mike McCarthy (who does he coach now?) was trying to establish.

Nolan drafts Smith, doesn't sign a decent vet for him to learn from, and then starts him by mid-season. Smith inevitably fails. While Rodgers sits and learns from a great (if hated by myself and many other niner fans) QB. Luckily Rodgers doesn't develop Brett's penchant for painkillers or exposing himself to reporters.

The next five seasons for Smith should be turned into a book called "How to mould a quarterback into a decent young player, and then destroy him". The moment Norv Turner left, it was going to be tricky for Alex, the OC's hired since then have all been sub-par, the coaching philosophy was outdated and counter productive, and the injuries as well as Nolan's reaction to them was the worst decision made by someone from this team since Lawrence Phillips decided that blitz pick-up wasn't his job. All of this combined with Singletary's absolute devotion to running the football when the spread worked for everyone would have left almost any QB in the NFL seeking a trade.

Meanwhile Rodgers learnt from Favre and McCarthy and with the same offensive philosophy each year as well as a supportive network of coaches, players and fans, he has been able to thrive.

In short, Rodgers may have had more success in SF than Smith, but we wouldn't have won the superbowl (not with McNolan running the show), maybe Rodgers doesn't get the shoulder injuries in 07 and 08, but maybe Nolan keeps his job, and you all know if that had happened we might, we'd be in a situation far worse than we'd be in today. If Smith had been able to sit and learn like Rodgers did, maybe he wins the superbowl, maybe earlier, maybe later, maybe he's a bust whatever happens, although I don't think so.

I'm not saying keep Smith, in fact I think it's better for everyone that he finds somewhere new to play, and gives us a chance to move on, but I do think he will be a decent QB in the NFL.

Passing over Smith for Rodgers wasn't the biggest mistake this organisation made that year. It was passing over McCarthy for Nolan.
i got faith that harbaugh will get us back to our winning ways and i am sick and disgusted that we just had to watch a team representing a dairy farming hillbilly infested wasteland win the chip running our core offensive philosophy and organizational principles using our homebred talent and personnel for the twentieth yr straight while we sit back and wonder aloud what couldve been. screw the pack and cuz rodgers plays for them, screw him too. he ain't a niner and screw all the niners who get in his ears wit advice and support. it is time for all 9ers and fans to understand that green bay wisconsin ain't never gave us sh$t never have and never will so we need to not give them any credit whatsoever. i hate them wit a passion and now that they just won we gotta face a squad in our conference for god sakes that knows what it takes and has the confidence to get to and win the super bowl. no less that they will be running a program just like the one we used to and have plans to do again. geez, i can't believe u nuts that rooted for this squad. i am niner centric and i oppose anything in our way of getting back to the dance and winning it all. this includes rodgers, mccarthy, and esp the pack. f dem cheeseheads gettin all that glory when it should b us
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
i got faith that harbaugh will get us back to our winning ways and i am sick and disgusted that we just had to watch a team representing a dairy farming hillbilly infested wasteland win the chip running our core offensive philosophy and organizational principles using our homebred talent and personnel for the twentieth yr straight while we sit back and wonder aloud what couldve been. screw the pack and cuz rodgers plays for them, screw him too. he ain't a niner and screw all the niners who get in his ears wit advice and support. it is time for all 9ers and fans to understand that green bay wisconsin ain't never gave us sh$t never have and never will so we need to not give them any credit whatsoever. i hate them wit a passion and now that they just won we gotta face a squad in our conference for god sakes that knows what it takes and has the confidence to get to and win the super bowl. no less that they will be running a program just like the one we used to and have plans to do again. geez, i can't believe u nuts that rooted for this squad. i am niner centric and i oppose anything in our way of getting back to the dance and winning it all. this includes rodgers, mccarthy, and esp the pack. f dem cheeseheads gettin all that glory when it should b us

Oh they aren't THAT bad, well maybe. I been to Lambutt Field for a couple playoff games and... better left unsaid.

One thing is for sure got put to bed today at the SB; THERE IS NO COMPARISON BETWEEN ROGERS AND THE OTHER QB DRAFTED at #1. That is for damn sure.

Hey man, if you go to Lambeau you see men cheerleaders with letterman sweaters doing pyramids and other college stunts, and then, the most wanker of all cheers, da da da ta da, Go Pack Go! Done to THE whimpiest drum and fife thing you have ever heard.

Anytime I get in a discussion with a Pack fan, I just look em in the eye and go, da, da ta da, go pack go, in the weaselist voice I can muster, Shuts em up every time, they are incredulous I know what they do there..

At least the Steelers didn't get #7..
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MONTANA9ERFAN:
Paraphrasing Chris Mortensen from last week, "If the Niner's drafted Rodgers I don't think we would be talking about him".

That's silly considering Rodgers was very very accurate and just had it right from his days at Cal. Staying calm in the pocket is something Alex struggled with all his career, whereas Rodgers always had that before he was even drafted.

what hurts the most is that Rodgers just said he was a niner fan and remembers watching Joe and Steve but I will admit I wanted Smith over Rodgers that draft. all teams make mistakes though and we just gotta move on

[ Edited by DANADA on Feb 7, 2011 at 05:52:24 ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
lol

You guys act as if we drafted Rodgers, he wouldn't be a bust.

Alex Smith = Aaron Rodgers.

Both of them are the same with the same skills,

different coaches , different teams IS ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

Yep, all that is different is the team they are on. I saw Rodgers roll right and throw it away the whole game. Whatever... And talk about crap o-lines, Green Bays hasn't been stellar either, but Rodgers seems to pull off some wins... imagine that?
This thread is from November 2009.

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
This thread is from November 2009.

It's called recycling.
Share 49ersWebzone