LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Im sick of the Rodgers is > Smith posts....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
People who actually think Alex Smith is anywhere as good as Super Bowl MVP Rogers make me

Aaron Rogers has an opportunity to be one of the greatest QB's ever. Alex Smith has opportunity to never ever do anything in the NFL, and be happy that the 49ers were stupid enough to draft him and get paid fat.

At least the Steelers didn't get #7
This thread is very outdated.

Of course Aaron Rodgers--Super Bowl MVP is a better QB than Alex --has never won a really big game in 6 years Smith. Congrats to the Super Bowl Champion Packers---they will remain a huge obstacle to any NFC team the next few years. 15 players on IR and they still WON the Super Bowl. Amazing.

I am happy to go with our great new coaching staff and see the Niners become legit again. Go Niners!!!!!!!!
I am not an Alex hater and I don't blindly dismiss his circumstances like some dimwits do. I dont think there is a more mishadled player in recent NFL history.

At some point however, one has to realize that Aaron Rodgers is clearly a better QB. After watching Aaron play through the post season, I am convinced that if these two QB's circumstances would have been swapped, Alex would not be nearly the dissapointment he's sadly become, but I don't think he'd be playing in the Superbowl either. Conversely I don't think Rodgers would be playing in a Superbowl with the 9ers but I bet the 9ers would have won a decent amount of games they have lost over the last 6 years.

His arm is amazing and so too is his decision making. I still don't get how the scouts NFL wide got this one so wrong. Hate the Packers but I am happy for Aaron.

Sam Bradford didn't have the greatest situation either but going into his 2nd year, there is little doubt that this kid is gonna be great.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
That's it!!! Alex Smith CAN'T comeback to this team anymore. All it will do is remind all of us of Nolan and McCloughan's incompetence. It's time we move on!!!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
lol

You guys act as if we drafted Rodgers, he wouldn't be a bust.

Alex Smith = Aaron Rodgers.

Both of them are the same with the same skills,

different coaches , different teams IS ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

You sir....just fail.

[ Edited by kray28 on Feb 6, 2011 at 23:31:07 ]
Rodgers is a top 3 QB in the NFL, if not the best right now. His qualities are amazing and easy to see. Alex Smith has not beaten a good team for awhile.

Many point to Smith's lack of stability as a reason for his poor performance, but if you look at rookie QB, which is supposedly less prepared than Smith, you see that the good ones show up very early. Smith just never shows he can carry a team in 4 years of playing. What we see from Smith isn't an early look; it is IT. Can he be a winning QB? I think so, but can he ever be a top 10? No way.
Originally posted by Method:
I think people should be warned for bumping threads.
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by Method:
I think people should be warned for bumping certain threads.

Fixed.

ok, this
I think Rodgers would tell you it's pretty dumb to compare. Rodgers was "better" because he was pro ready from the get go. He got drafted by the right team with the right coaches. Add that to his already god given talent and there you go: Super Bow MVP.

Alex was the raw project with supposedly more upside. Would he have been a Super Bowl MVP by now? No. I don't think so. But would he be better than he is now? Yes I think so. I think Alex could have ended up being good enough to get his team to the play offs and maybe just maybe win a SB with the right team and right season.

I think Rodgers would have fared better than Alex in SF but Id bet my life that we wouldn't be in the Super Bowl this year.

Oh well...what's done is done. I'm more concerned about our QB situation for 2011. We currently don't have sht. Who cares about 2005. 23 other teams passed on Rodgers. It is what it is. Move on.
  • hb123
  • Veteran
mathews and rodgers officially got everyone and the nfl on their sack..

a smith, what a disgrace it's been

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I think Rodgers would tell you it's pretty dumb to compare. Rodgers was "better" because he was pro ready from the get go. He got drafted by the right team with the right coaches. Add that to his already god given talent and there you go: Super Bow MVP.

Alex was the raw project with supposedly more upside. Would he have been a Super Bowl MVP by now? No. I don't think so. But would he be better than he is now? Yes I think so. I think Alex could have ended up being good enough to get his team to the play offs and maybe just maybe win a SB with the right team and right season.

I think Rodgers would have fared better than Alex in SF but Id bet my life that we wouldn't be in the Super Bowl this year.

Oh well...what's done is done. I'm more concerned about our QB situation for 2011.

We currently don't have sht. Who cares about 2005. 23 other teams passed

Rodgers. It is what it is. Move on.[/

Yeah your right the 9ers wouldnt be in the súper bowl now. They would of probably lost to the bears in the championship game due to an average defense. Like San Diego and Dan fouts were years ago.

I am still scratching my head over that pick of smith over Rodgers. Rodgers reminded me of Marino and smith played in division 2 college in my opinion. He was in AA where rodgers was in AAA. Smiths stats were padded by the system and the level of competition he played against.

Where Rodgers was very good in a NFL type offense against very good teams. Very accurate and quick decisions. A no brainer pick over smith But if you have no brain it's a different story.
Originally posted by tmg808:
Rodgers completed a lot of dump passes and had plenty of time to do so. A 5 yd pass to Jennings that went for 64. He threw 65 yds to the running back, hitch passes to the WRs that turned into 1st downs, He didn't go up the field. The 49ers Defense made him look better than he was today. Alex Smith went 16/23 last week, difference is the Bears tackled. 49ers played soft coverage and tackled poorly.

To me he is a JT O'Sullivan that doesn't fumble. He has been sacked 10 more times than anyone in the league. He is just a slightly above average QB on a good team. The Packers went 13-3 two years ago. To say he made the 49ers pay is ridiculous, the Packers were a better team than the 49ers today, and it wasn't on Arron Rodgers shoulders.

;p;
Was Rodgers a better prospect than Smith when they entered the NFL? Yes
Should we have drafted Rodgers? Absolutely
Would Rodgers now be better than Alex if we had drafted him? Yes
Would Rodgers be as good as he is if we had drafted him? No
Would he have led us to the superbowl? Not a chance in hell. Our coaches never would have fully utilized his skills. We probably would have won the division a few times though- one and done in the playoffs.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by tmg808:
Rodgers completed a lot of dump passes and had plenty of time to do so. A 5 yd pass to Jennings that went for 64. He threw 65 yds to the running back, hitch passes to the WRs that turned into 1st downs, He didn't go up the field. The 49ers Defense made him look better than he was today.

To me he is a JT O'Sullivan that doesn't fumble. He has been sacked 10 more times than anyone in the league. He is just a slightly above average QB on a good team. The Packers went 13-3 two years ago. To say he made the 49ers pay is ridiculous, the Packers were a better team than the 49ers today, and it wasn't on Arron Rodgers shoulders.

dumbest post in history

Banworthy
Originally posted by gravelburn:
Was Rodgers a better prospect than Smith when they entered the NFL? Yes
Should we have drafted Rodgers? Absolutely
Would Rodgers now be better than Alex if we had drafted him? Yes
Would Rodgers be as good as he is if we had drafted him? No
Would he have led us to the superbowl? Not a chance in hell. Our coaches never would have fully utilized his skills. We probably would have won the division a few times though- one and done in the playoffs.

Even with Harbaugh now?
Share 49ersWebzone