There are 175 users in the forums

The Defense Cost Us This Game: Check out these Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yeah but it was Alex Smith. Everything is because of him.

Simplistic posters on the board believe everything revolves around him.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Joecool:
It was ALL the defense's fault.

Don't worry about the fact that they shut out GB in the second half except for that one 25 yard drive due to Alex Smith INT.

Don't worry about the fact that our offense only passed for 5 yards in the first half.

Yeah, the ENTIRE game was on the defense.

I must say, the defense turned it around in the second half. The offense came alive but THIS time, it was the offense that lost it for us in the second half with a dumb INT.

Both sides sucked in the first half and both sides played well in the second half. Both sides couldn't finish it in the 4th quarter.

And yet it was because of Smith leading us to three TD drives in the second half that we actually had a shot at winning the game at the end in SPITE of the int.

-9fA

In SPITE of the INT? Smith threw the INT, therefore, In SPITE of Smith, right? Where was Smith in the fisrt half?

The defense only gave up 2 TDs in the first half.

Why did GB accumilate so many yards? Because our offense didn't provide any help.

I said that Smith was still able to put the team in a position to win in spite of the int. Where the hell did i say that the int was in spite of Smith?

NOBODY showed up in the first half. Why do you keep pointing the finger at Smith? Where was the defense in the first half? Where was the offensive line in the first half? Where was the vaunted rush defense in the first half?

Greenbay took the first two drives all the way the way to the red zone. Greenbay was able to move up and down on all us all day. Whether you want to believe it or not, this was NOT because of Alex Smith.

It's a cop out to blame the whole of the defensive woes solely on Smith. Go look at the poor tackling on the Jennings TD and tell me that he scored because Smith couldn't get anything going.

You have absolutely NO objectivity AT ALL when it comes to Alex Smith. None. Prime example - you say the defense "only gave up 2 TDs in the first half" as if it was a solid defensive effort, I say they gave up 23 points.

-9fA

You are talking about not having objectivity when everyone was harping on Shaun Hill when now we know that Shaun Hill helped provide us with better chances to win than any other QB we have.

Now that's not having objectivity. Oh how pretty is that deep pass? I guess a losing record is pretty also.
^^ Way to sidestep the whole post.

The one time when Hill tried to bring us back from a 2nd half deficit, he FAILED. Miserably.

-9fA
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Yes of course, the defense.

Gee, isn't it funny how the defense played better in the second half?

Isn't it strange how the defense plays well when the offense moves the ball?

Our fans ask a LOT from our TIRED TIRED defense. Some seem to expect them to consistently shut down the top offenses in the league, week after week, as the offense goes 3n' out 3n' out 3n' out.

When they are not constantly on the field sucking air, they "magically" seem to play better. Odd, isn't it?

Tired D huh, so what's your excuse on the very first possession of the game. The packers drove all the way to the goalline. Then on the O's first possession, the niners drive to score a FG. Then you tell me what happens next. Does the D stop the pack? Nope, drive after drive, the pack moved at will.

Even in the second half, when the pack had the ball with over 5 minutes to go. The O had just drove the length of the field and gave the D plenty of time to rest. What happened next? The pack moved at will again killing the last 5+ minutes of the game.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
It was ALL the defense's fault.

Don't worry about the fact that they shut out GB in the second half except for that one 25 yard drive due to Alex Smith INT.

Don't worry about the fact that our offense only passed for 5 yards in the first half.

Yeah, the ENTIRE game was on the defense.

I must say, the defense turned it around in the second half. The offense came alive but THIS time, it was the offense that lost it for us in the second half with a dumb INT.

Both sides sucked in the first half and both sides played well in the second half. Both sides couldn't finish it in the 4th quarter.

And yet it was because of Smith leading us to three TD drives in the second half that we actually had a shot at winning the game at the end in SPITE of the int.

-9fA

In SPITE of the INT? Smith threw the INT, therefore, In SPITE of Smith, right? Where was Smith in the fisrt half?

The defense only gave up 2 TDs in the first half.

Why did GB accumilate so many yards? Because our offense didn't provide any help.

I said that Smith was still able to put the team in a position to win in spite of the int. Where the hell did i say that the int was in spite of Smith?

NOBODY showed up in the first half. Why do you keep pointing the finger at Smith? Where was the defense in the first half? Where was the offensive line in the first half? Where was the vaunted rush defense in the first half?

Greenbay took the first two drives all the way the way to the red zone. Greenbay was able to move up and down on all us all day. Whether you want to believe it or not, this was NOT because of Alex Smith.

It's a cop out to blame the whole of the defensive woes solely on Smith. Go look at the poor tackling on the Jennings TD and tell me that he scored because Smith couldn't get anything going.

You have absolutely NO objectivity AT ALL when it comes to Alex Smith. None. Prime example - you say the defense "only gave up 2 TDs in the first half" as if it was a solid defensive effort, I say they gave up 23 points.

-9fA

You are talking about not having objectivity when everyone was harping on Shaun Hill when now we know that Shaun Hill helped provide us with better chances to win than any other QB we have.

Now that's not having objectivity. Oh how pretty is that deep pass? I guess a losing record is pretty also.

A better chance to win? He was figured out by his last 2 games. Look at what he did in his last 6 qtrs before he got benched, Hill was garbage and if not for Smith the Texans game and yesterdays game would have turned out like the Atlants game.
I've been the biggest D.Goldson supporter, but he's starting to piss me off. He continually takes bad angles and always just looks for the big hit without worrying about wrapping up.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I've been the biggest D.Goldson supporter, but he's starting to piss me off. He continually takes bad angles and always just looks for the big hit without worrying about wrapping up.

I disagree. He and Tarrell Brown had horrible games but it was Goldson who was making TD saving tackles against the Bears.

I think the D had a terrible start to the game but they weren't helped out by an offense that couldn't get a first down. They haven't been playing "top 5" at all.

Sadly, they're still miles ahead of the offense.
[ Edited by jaghetersofie on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM ]
Originally posted by jaghetersofie:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I disagree. He and Tarrell Brown had horrible games but it was Goldson who was making TD saving tackles against the Bears.

I think the D had a terrible start to the game but they weren't helped out by an offense that couldn't get a first down. They haven't been playing "top 5" at all.

Sadly, they're still miles ahead of the offense.

Our offense looked infinitely better then our defense in the 2nd half. LOL. Our team blows.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
While the majority of talk on the board today revolves around the offense, the clear problem today was the defense. The final numbers should be troubling to 49ers fans who have felt confident for most of this season that the defense would carry the team in tough games:

Packers total yards: 484
The #1 team in the NFL in total offensive yards per game is the Saints, and they only average 426 yards a game.

Packers 3rd down%: 10/18- 55%
The #1 team in the NFL in 3rd down conversion is the Colts, at 50%. So, the Niners clearly did not get the Packers off the field, especially in the last drive that chewed up the final 5 minutes.

Packers 1st downs: 26
The #1 team in the NFL in first downs per game is the NE Patriots, with an average of 23.7 per game. The Niners allowed more than the top team in this catagory as well.

Time of Possession: 41:39
The #1 team in the NFL in time of possession is the NYG at 34:23. Our team allowed almost seven more minutes. Now, part of the problem was the first half ineptitude of the offense, but the defense clearly did not help the team to minimize the amount of time the Packers had the ball, including the final 5 minutes when the Niners knew the Packers were simply going to run the ball to kill the clock.

Offensive Snaps: 79
The #1 team in the NFL in offensive snaps per game is the Dolphins, with an average of 65.8 per game. The Packers had more than 13 additional snaps than the #1 team, a mindboggling number.

So, while the argument of the spread offense, Alex Smith, Jimmy Raye, the offensive line, and Singletary's offensive philosophy are all important to resolve in order to bring continuity on offense, the defense clearly needs to shoulder the blame for this debackle.

Cheers.

As Emmit would say: They got debacled.
I am so piss off that Defense cost us this games.. whats wrong with the defense allow to Rodger had 300 or 350 yards? damn I thought, the defense is good thing for us the 49ers but the defense look like soft again? that is worst!! i would say BS to the defense!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM ]

The entire team stunk. From the coaches to every position on the field. Pure garbage. No need to analyze anything. It is that simple.
The entire team stunk. However, it's important to note that our defense would have held the Packers scoreless in the 2nd half if Smith hadn't thrown an interception from our own 2 yard line (Packers picked it at our 20 and returned to the 11 yardline and then scored a td a few plays later). That td was the only points the Packers scored in the 2nd half of the game.

The Niners defense was getting shredded all day and were gassed in the 4th qtr..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You also have to factor in that the T.O.P. by our offense in the first half was just as much to blame than our defense not stopping them. Just as our defense getting the ball back for us so Smith could throw for 3 TD's. But IMO, the nail in the coffin was Smith throwing an INT within our own redzone. Without that pick that set up a TD, final score 24-23 49ers.

Your Smith hate is so transparent it's comical, somebody else threw the 3 td's I suppose , freakin weak, the D gave up 484 yds !

And your love for Smith is even more comical, actually its pretty embarrassing if you think about it. I swear, if Smith gets the slightest criticism your all over that person. My opinion just states that I think that pick Smith threw costed us that game, but not Alex Smith overall, after all he did contribute with 3 TD's.....cheezus some of you guys defend him like hes your son or something.
Originally posted by 9ermj:
You also have to factor in that the T.O.P. by our offense in the first half was just as much to blame than our defense not stopping them. Just as our defense getting the ball back for us so Smith could throw for 3 TD's. But IMO, the nail in the coffin was Smith throwing an INT within our own redzone. Without that pick that set up a TD, final score 24-23 49ers.

Your Smith hate is so transparent it's comical, somebody else threw the 3 td's I suppose , freakin weak, the D gave up 484 yds !

And your love for Smith is even more comical, actually its pretty embarrassing if you think about it. I swear, if Smith gets the slightest criticism your all over that person. My opinion just states that I think that pick Smith threw costed us that game, but not Alex Smith overall, after all he did contribute with 3 TD's.....cheezus some of you guys defend him like hes your son or something.

LOL. Kolohe. Calm down before I gotta hold you back , hawaiian.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
This loss was a team effort. Piss poor offense in the first half, piss poor defense all game. Even with that we still had a chance. All we needed is one stop with 5:50 left in the 4th and we might've been able to do it.

We need serious help in our secondary this off season. Our pass coverage is horrid. We're ranked 31st in yards allowed, in the bottom third on completion %, TDs allowed, plays over 20 yards and plays over 40 yards.

Our run defense also stunk it up this game. Ryan Grant got 120 yards rushing against us and he's not that good of a back. The last drive in the 4th quarter they ran it down our throats and we couldn't stop it.

I'm tired of the offense getting all the blame when it's on the defense too. We couldn't get a 4th quarter stop against Indy to give us a chance to get the go ahead score. We couldn't do it against Minnesota to stop Favre from driving 80 yards down the field to win the game. We almost let Cutler beat us on a last minute drive. Luckily Cutler was feeling generous and gave us that game gift wrapped.
Share 49ersWebzone