There are 203 users in the forums

The Defense Cost Us This Game: Check out these Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
BTW, the Packers got the ball with 5:33 left and we couldn't make ONE final stop to get the ball back? f**king defense allowed them to run out 5 minutes of game clock? No one cares though right? I would have loved another shot to win that one.
Originally posted by Archie:
I like this post because it's what I think. I think we have good corners but when a qb has time to wait on his receiver to make another break normally a pro qb will make an accurate throw. I said last week on another post that good teams have 3 things, good offensive line, pass rusher, and a good qb.

Originally posted by Joecool:
The 5 total yards passing in the half has nothing to do with it.

The defense isn't to blame. No pash rusher and QB is.

I agree. The entire defense is being blamed for pathetic individual play. It's one thing if it's difficult to decipher why we lost but it has been obvious for years now.

1. No pass rush
2. No QB

We've had a very good OL before and we still couldn't win. We have talented pass catchers yet we still only gain 5 yards passing in a half.

ALMOST all of the peices are set into place.
Originally posted by Method:
BTW, the Packers got the ball with 5:33 left and we couldn't make ONE final stop to get the ball back? f**king defense allowed them to run out 5 minutes of game clock? No one cares though right? I would have loved another shot to win that one.

Man that was so frustrating to see them start kneeling after the 2 minute warning . One more shot on offense would of been great to see, even if we came up short. The refs blew it on the spot but Sing should've never challenged it.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You also have to factor in that the T.O.P. by our offense in the first half was just as much to blame than our defense not stopping them. Just as our defense getting the ball back for us so Smith could throw for 3 TD's. But IMO, the nail in the coffin was Smith throwing an INT within our own redzone. Without that pick that set up a TD, final score 24-23 49ers.

Your Smith hate is so transparent it's comical, somebody else threw the 3 td's I suppose , freakin weak, the D gave up 484 yds !
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

Man that was so frustrating to see them start kneeling after the 2 minute warning . One more shot on offense would of been great to see, even if we came up short. The refs blew it on the spot but Sing should've never challenged it.

Yes, the defense should have stopped them. Method, you are correct.

However, we WERE down by 5 AND had the ball but Smith threw a dumb INT to give them only 30 yards to score and lead by 13 again.

So, you still fail to mention the Smith INT. Also, it was last year, when you complained about not caring about passing stats and if the QB isn't winning AND turning the ball over, then get him out.

So far, I guess Alex needs to get out. There has only been one QB that has won us games we are supposed to win. It's a stage of improving: winning games you should win. We are now moving backwards.
The WZ OVERRATES the D
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
While the majority of talk on the board today revolves around the offense, the clear problem today was the defense. The final numbers should be troubling to 49ers fans who have felt confident for most of this season that the defense would carry the team in tough games:

Packers total yards: 484
The #1 team in the NFL in total offensive yards per game is the Saints, and they only average 426 yards a game.

Packers 3rd down%: 10/18- 55%
The #1 team in the NFL in 3rd down conversion is the Colts, at 50%. So, the Niners clearly did not get the Packers off the field, especially in the last drive that chewed up the final 5 minutes.

Packers 1st downs: 26
The #1 team in the NFL in first downs per game is the NE Patriots, with an average of 23.7 per game. The Niners allowed more than the top team in this catagory as well.

Time of Possession: 41:39
The #1 team in the NFL in time of possession is the NYG at 34:23. Our team allowed almost seven more minutes. Now, part of the problem was the first half ineptitude of the offense, but the defense clearly did not help the team to minimize the amount of time the Packers had the ball, including the final 5 minutes when the Niners knew the Packers were simply going to run the ball to kill the clock.

Offensive Snaps: 79
The #1 team in the NFL in offensive snaps per game is the Dolphins, with an average of 65.8 per game. The Packers had more than 13 additional snaps than the #1 team, a mindboggling number.

So, while the argument of the spread offense, Alex Smith, Jimmy Raye, the offensive line, and Singletary's offensive philosophy are all important to resolve in order to bring continuity on offense, the defense clearly needs to shoulder the blame for this debackle.

Cheers.

MD, clearly we cannot leave out the fact that the defense was on the field (due to the offenses 3-and-outs) quite a bit. Our defenses started strong with 2 red zone stops, and then simply couldn't keep up anymore. 3-and-outs by the offense spell doom for the defense.

However, we WERE down by 5 AND had the ball but Smith threw a dumb INT to give them only 30 yards to score and lead by 13 again.

So, you still fail to mention the Smith INT. Also, it was last year, when you complained about not caring about passing stats and if the QB isn't winning AND turning the ball over, then get him out.

So far, I guess Alex needs to get out. There has only been one QB that has won us games we are supposed to win. It's a stage of improving: winning games you should win. We are now moving backwards.

What the hell? This is a thread about the defense. Stop spamming.
  • Mex49
It is spelled C O A C H I N G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about the defense costing us the game. What cost us the game is our QB and our Pass Rushers not performing.

• 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

According to Billick that pick was due to the O trying to practice their smashmouth all week
  • Mex49

It's about the defense costing us the game. What cost us the game is our QB and our Pass Rushers not performing.

The coaches let our QB try only 7 pass plays in the first half and he was sacked 3 times and hurried the others. Smith is taking a back seat on the blame bus.

If Smith doesn't throw an interception there, and we actually drive 99 yards to get the touchdown, we'd be up by 1, you're right. I was very close to blaming this loss on Alex, ask anyone in the chat on Sunday, but IMO at the end it wasn't his fault. It's a trend now when we run the spread Alex can pass all over the place. He was throwing some brilliant passes over the top. One I'd blame him for was the underthrown ball to Crabtree, but we ended up scoring on the drive anyways. If you feel the need to bash on Alex, you can do so in a million other threads, this one is about the defense.

Our defense is supposed to be the side of the team that makes plays. Other then the Chicago game, I just haven't seen it. They couldn't even make a stop with 5 minutes left man, how does this not upset you?
[ Edited by Method on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:34 AM ]
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for 9ermj.

If Smith doesn't throw an interception there, and we actually drive 99 yards to get the touchdown, we'd be up by 1, you're right. I was very close to blaming this loss on Alex, ask anyone in the chat on Sunday, but IMO at the end it wasn't his fault. It's a trend now when we run the spread Alex can pass all over the place. He was throwing some brilliant passes over the top. One I'd blame him for was the underthrown ball to Crabtree, but we ended up scoring on the drive anyways. If you feel the need to bash on Alex, you can do so in a million other threads, this one is about the defense.

Our defense is supposed to be the side of the team that makes plays. Other then the Chicago game, I just haven't seen it. They couldn't even make a stop with 5 minutes left man, how does this not upset you?

Well said, and to the point, Singletary "built" this team to be defense first so when your D gives up 484! yds to the other team and roughly 100yds of it on the ground I think it's safe to say the D blew Sunday

It does upset me but not as much because our defense has played very well this season. Our overall defense isn't the primary reason we are losing games.
Share 49ersWebzone