There are 250 users in the forums

The Defense Cost Us This Game: Check out these Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Another thread hijacked with Alex Smith talk. Oh well...back on subject...the team has got to find some solution to the pass rush. Rodgers threw more than 40 times entering the fourth quarter, and I think he hit the turf once (courtesy of Sopoaga).

The two sacks by Manny and Parys happened in the 4th quarter. Until then, they were silent. Really silent.

I was watching the difference in time allowed to throw and the shape of the pocket between the two teams in the first half. All I can say is...WOW!!! What a massive difference.

The Niners have to put pressure on the opposition. Rodgers could have taken a nap on a Lazy-Boy, smoked a cigar, made a sandwich, played a match of Wii tennis before he had to throw the ball.

When you add in the fact that the Packers have given up the most sacks in the NFL, it becomes even more pathetic.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The 5 total yards passing in the half has nothing to do with it.

The defense isn't to blame. No pash rusher and QB is.

thats the most illogical statement i have ever heard.. DID you see those stats? no pass rush i agree with, but our corner play is horrendous.. every quaterback tosses 300+ on us. And everyone puts the blame on the QB, when the defense cant stop green bay when THEY KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO RUN THE BALL! we supposedly have a great run defense
Another thread hijacked with Alex Smith talk. Oh well...back on subject...the team has got to find some solution to the pass rush. Rodgers threw more than 40 times entering the fourth quarter, and I think he hit the turf once (courtesy of Sopoaga).

The two sacks by Manny and Parys happened in the 4th quarter. Until then, they were silent. Really silent.

I was watching the difference in time allowed to throw and the shape of the pocket between the two teams in the first half. All I can say is...WOW!!! What a massive difference.

The Niners have to put pressure on the opposition. Rodgers could have taken a nap on a Lazy-Boy, smoked a cigar, made a sandwich, played a match of Wii tennis before he had to throw the ball.

On one of Grant's first big runs, Haralson abandoned the outside ran inside and got in Willis's way. It was amazing. I thought he was getting it together at the end of last season. His regression this year is pitiful.

Personally, I'd like them to let Willis rush the passer more often. He's better at that than any other LB, and he still isn't great in coverage.
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
The 5 total yards passing in the half has nothing to do with it.

The defense isn't to blame. No pash rusher and QB is.

thats the most illogical statement i have ever heard.. DID you see those stats? no pass rush i agree with, but our corner play is horrendous.. every quaterback tosses 300+ on us. And everyone puts the blame on the QB, when the defense cant stop green bay when THEY KNOW THEY ARE GOING TO RUN THE BALL! we supposedly have a great run defense

The problem is you can't have one without the other. Who knows how good our DB's would perform if we had Baltimore's front seven, for example. Once again the 9ers are going to have bigtime needs in a lot of areas - on defense its adding another DB and finding someone who can get to the QB.
It is painfully obvious that the Niners have no difference maker on defense other than Patrick Willis. Until the team is able to get a REAL passrusher and a corner who can shut down a #1 WR the Niners will be a mediocre defense.

I would even be OK with the Niners waiting until round 2 to get an OT if he meant drafting Joe Haden and Brandon Graham with our 2 first round picks. These two would make an immediate impact for our team.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
The Defense is the reason we lost against the packers. 23 points allowed in the first half. Aaron Rodgers almost looked like Tom Brady against our Defense. 100 yd rusher, 100 yd reciever and 300 yd passing Qb.

Final drive by Green bay the defense didnot give the ball back to Alex and company for a shot to win it. So everybody is blaming Alex but the Defense is the biggest reason for the loss.
Originally posted by leolion:

On one of Grant's first big runs, Haralson abandoned the outside ran inside and got in Willis's way. It was amazing. I thought he was getting it together at the end of last season. His regression this year is pitiful.

Personally, I'd like them to let Willis rush the passer more often. He's better at that than any other LB, and he still isn't great in coverage.

I saw that play, it had to be a stunt blitz, but you think he would check to see if it was a run first.
Although the D did not play all that well today a lot of your stats are a direct result from the fact that we have the worst offense in the NFL when it comes to going 3 and out. I believe we also have the least first downs made of any team too. The reason why the dolphins run so many plays and the Giants have such good Time of Possesion is because they get first downs on offense.
The offense was clearly more to blame for the score at the end of the first half. I think that much should be obvious.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree, the defense did nothing to stop the Packers offense. Real stinker by the defense.

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The offense was clearly more to blame for the score at the end of the first half. I think that much should be obvious.

I blame it on the playcall in the 1st half where we didn't go for it on 4th and 1. We took 3 instead of trying to extend the drive. Bad coaching. He sold us on smashmouth, but he backs off of it when it is time to prove it.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for SJniner7.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Although the D did not play all that well today a lot of your stats are a direct result from the fact that we have the worst offense in the NFL when it comes to going 3 and out. I believe we also have the least first downs made of any team too. The reason why the dolphins run so many plays and the Giants have such good Time of Possesion is because they get first downs on offense.

And when you have the ball more, it gives the other team less time to make plays. Our D gave up 10 points in the second half when we actually showed an offense, and that is including 7 points after the interception at the 21 yard line. Did MD drunk write this or what?
Originally posted by lamontb:
The main problem is that Manny and Parys are almost worthless in the 3-4. Bronw got exposed badly today his hips aren't fluid at all.

I got an idea.

Instead of determining things like that when half the team doesn't support the Defense( based on all the damn 3 an outs due to the challenging play calling) how bout having the common sense to make these kinds of determinations when the team clicks on all cylinders.

Oh but waitaminnit...

that would mean that you would be wrong then as you are wrong now.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Leathaface:

How so? Did it give up those points or fail to pressure Rodgers? Nope. The defense sucked the entire game.
I agree, this game and ATL, the defense cost us, and it happens. But, our offense didn't help out at all in the first 1st half, s**tty blocking, missed throws, isn't going to help the defense; we had like 3, 3 and outs, at one point.

The defense is not the problem, it's the offense.
Share 49ersWebzone