There are 183 users in the forums

The Defense Cost Us This Game: Check out these Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our D always was overrated. People are now just realizing what it really is.
THANKS GOD MANUSKY IS HOLDING THE DEFENSE TOGETHER

WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT WILLIS, GIVE UP MORE 50 YARD PASSE?
It's tough to play defense when you're out there on the field practically the ENTIRE FREAKIN GAME.

We lost because of Alex Smith. The guy sucks. Give him the boot already. At this point, I'd take JaMarcus Russell over Alex Smith. He's that bad.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
It's tough to play defense when you're out there on the field practically the ENTIRE FREAKIN GAME.

We lost because of Alex Smith. The guy sucks. Give him the boot already. At this point, I'd take JaMarcus Russell over Alex Smith. He's that bad.

Not that you had any credibility anyway, but you just lost any chance you have of ever having any with that statement. That is the dumbest f**king thing I've ever heard in my life. I'm not saying Alex is any good, but he's leaps and f**king bounds better than JaLardass Russell.

You're a dumba$$. We lost because our defense sucked, and our play calling sucked in the first half. And we lost because the Packers are a better team than we are.
No doubt about it. The offense has been horrible. But the D hasn't been all that good either.

No they are on the field all the damn time because they cant get off the field on 3rd downs and dont know how to tackle or stop the f**king screen pass. The D can only blame itself. At the end of the day the offense in the 2nd half had a chance to win itbut the defense failed at giving the offense one last try.

A Great defense gets the ball back, now im not saying we would have one if we got the ball back but they at least need a chance

That is some of the dumbest s**t I have ever heard anyone post here.
Originally posted by valrod33:

No they are on the field all the damn time because they cant get off the field on 3rd downs and dont know how to tackle or stop the f**king screen pass. The D can only blame itself. At the end of the day the offense in the 2nd half had a chance to win itbut the defense failed at giving the offense one last try.

A Great defense gets the ball back, now im not saying we would have one if we got the ball back but they at least need a chance
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

That is some of the dumbest s**t I have ever heard anyone post here.

lol You're insane man. You're blinded by your obsessive hatred of this one player that it blinds you of all shortcomings of any other player on this team. Jamarcus Bustell wouldn't have thrown 3 TDs and got us back in the game. How can you blame the defenses inabillity to stop a freaking screen pass on Alex? Fact is our team sucks and you want to blame it all on one player.
Another thread hijacked with Alex Smith talk. Oh well...back on subject...the team has got to find some solution to the pass rush. Rodgers threw more than 40 times entering the fourth quarter, and I think he hit the turf once (courtesy of Sopoaga).

The two sacks by Manny and Parys happened in the 4th quarter. Until then, they were silent. Really silent.

I was watching the difference in time allowed to throw and the shape of the pocket between the two teams in the first half. All I can say is...WOW!!! What a massive difference.

The Niners have to put pressure on the opposition. Rodgers could have taken a nap on a Lazy-Boy, smoked a cigar, made a sandwich, played a match of Wii tennis before he had to throw the ball.
The way the offense is playing, the defense cannot be totally at fault based on how long they are on the field by comparison. Then again, the defense at some point has to make a play, a sack or a turnover to get themselves off the field. The lack of pass rush and horrendous play in the secondary (.....mostly the safeties) is devastating.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
While the majority of talk on the board today revolves around the offense, the clear problem today was the defense. The final numbers should be troubling to 49ers fans who have felt confident for most of this season that the defense would carry the team in tough games:

Packers total yards: 484
The #1 team in the NFL in total offensive yards per game is the Saints, and they only average 426 yards a game.

Packers 3rd down%: 10/18- 55%
The #1 team in the NFL in 3rd down conversion is the Colts, at 50%. So, the Niners clearly did not get the Packers off the field, especially in the last drive that chewed up the final 5 minutes.

Packers 1st downs: 26
The #1 team in the NFL in first downs per game is the NE Patriots, with an average of 23.7 per game. The Niners allowed more than the top team in this catagory as well.

Time of Possession: 41:39
The #1 team in the NFL in time of possession is the NYG at 34:23. Our team allowed almost seven more minutes. Now, part of the problem was the first half ineptitude of the offense, but the defense clearly did not help the team to minimize the amount of time the Packers had the ball, including the final 5 minutes when the Niners knew the Packers were simply going to run the ball to kill the clock.

Offensive Snaps: 79
The #1 team in the NFL in offensive snaps per game is the Dolphins, with an average of 65.8 per game. The Packers had more than 13 additional snaps than the #1 team, a mindboggling number.

So, while the argument of the spread offense, Alex Smith, Jimmy Raye, the offensive line, and Singletary's offensive philosophy are all important to resolve in order to bring continuity on offense, the defense clearly needs to shoulder the blame for this debackle.

Cheers.

Sorry MD,
but you have to put some blame on Uncle fester and his miracle 3 and out first half offense that allowed the Packers to rack up 20 minutes TOP and almost 300 yards..
Originally posted by Method:
Agreed.

There's no excuses for giving up that much yards in the first half of a game after 9 days of f**king rest. NONE.

I've always thought time off (Byes etc) is over rated. Yes it benefits those who are injured but I also feel a team can lose their edge or momentum. BTW, the latter doesn't apply to us. JMO
Share 49ersWebzone