There are 197 users in the forums

The Defense Cost Us This Game: Check out these Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Recapping the first half:

1) Packers take kickoff at start drive at 26 yard line. They drive to the Niners' 5 yard line and kick field goal. Packers 3-0.
2) Niners start on the own 20, drive to the Packers' 29, and kick field goal. Tied 3-3.
3) Packers start on their 23, and drive to Niners' 9 yard line. Field goal: 6-3.

Note: Defense allowed the Packers 19 plays and drives of 69 yards and 68 in their first two possessions. This is not the Niners' offense fault.

4) Niners start at their own 16, and go three and out.
5) Packers start at their own 38, gain two first downs, move into the Niners' side of the field and then punt the ball into the end zone.
6) Niners start at their own 20, and go three and out.
7) Packers start at their own 22, and on fourth play, Jennings breaks free for 64 yard TD. Packers 13-3.
8) Niners start at their own 20, and go three and out.
9) Packers start at their own 19, and march 81 yards for TD.

Recap: In the Packers' first five possessions, they have scored on drives of 69, 68, 78, and 81 yards.
10) Niners start at their own 19, and go three and out.
11) Packers start at the SF 45, and take the ball the Niners' 9 yard line. They kick a field goal to end the half. 36 yard drive.

Once again, do not get me wrong. The offense stunk in their first half. However, the Packers were on track to score 46 points in this game from the first half defensive performance. In the six defensive series, they allowed drives of 69, 68, 14, 78, 81, and 36 yards.

They allowed the Packers to score on five of their six offensive possessions, without the help of a turnover, and starting four of the six series' inside the Packers' 26 yard line.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

1) Packers take kickoff at start drive at 26 yard line. They drive to the Niners' 5 yard line and kick field goal. Packers 3-0.
2) Niners start on the own 20, drive to the Packers' 29, and kick field goal. Tied 3-3.
3) Packers start on their 23, and drive to Niners' 9 yard line. Field goal: 6-3.

Note: Defense allowed the Packers 19 plays and drives of 69 yards and 68 in their first two possessions. This is not the Niners' offense fault.

5) Packers start at their own 38, gain two first downs, move into the Niners' side of the field and then punt the ball into the end zone.
7) Packers start at their own 22, and on fourth play, Jennings breaks free for 64 yard TD. Packers 13-6.

Recap: In the Packers' first five possessions, they have scored on drives of 69, 68, 78, and 81 yards.
11) Packers start at the SF 45, and take the ball the Niners' 9 yard line. They kick a field goal to end the half. 36 yard drive.

Once again, do not get me wrong. The offense stunk in their first half. However, the Packers were on track to score 46 points in this game from the first half defensive performance. In the six defensive series, they allowed drives of 69, 68, 14, 78, 81, and 36 yards.

They allowed the Packers to score on five of their six offensive possessions, without the help of a turnover, and starting four of the six series' inside the Packers' 26 yard line.

My only question is? Is it possible the defense is giving up because of our offense. I know any answer is speculation. But I am curious what you think.
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:

7) Packers start at their own 22, and on fourth play, Jennings breaks free for 64 yard TD. Packers 13-6.

My only question is? Is it possible the defense is giving up because of our offense. I know any answer is speculation. But I am curious what you think.

Sure 3 and outs don't help the defense. If the defense only gets a couple minutes to rest, fatigue is going to become an issue. But fatigue should be more of a second half issue, not in the first half. The first half is when our defense really got gashed. So I think we can only levy a little blame (if any) to the offence for all the points that were scored. Our defense lost that game for us. The 49ers offence played horrible in the first half, but made up for it in the second half.

4) Niners start at their own 16, and go three and out.5) Packers start at their own 38, gain two first downs, move into the Niners' side of the field and then punt the ball into the end zone.

Thanks MD, just wanted to make sure. The fact is the Niners Defense was holding the Packers until halfway into the 2nd quarter, which was when all of the 3 and outs started.

People keep blaming the Defense in the first half but they the Packers were only getting 3 points until it all broke down.

I just believe both sides are at fault.
Once again, my point is that the Niners' defense allowed these long drives well before the offense could be labeled a first half bust. There is no way to defend giving up points on 5 of 6 possessions, including four long drives. These were not cheapy drives.

I am willing to play Devil's advocate for the skeptics: Let's say that the Niners had a couple longer possessions, and capitalized on one of these for a TD. And, let's say that extra time the Niners had on offense wiped out the time needed for the final field goal by the Packers. That would still put the game at 20-10 at halftime.

Is allowing 20 points in one half acceptable? Is allowing a team to score four out of five possessions in one half acceptable? It's not.

The bottom line is that, while the offense stunk, the defense was run all over the field, from the first series. In all five possessions, where the Packers took over on offense, they moved to the 49ers side of the field (the sixth one began in 49ers territory). And, the offense may have performed better if the defense actually got their butts off the field. Is a three and out on defense out of line? It didn't happen in the first half.

Which teams allows four long scoring drives in the first half, and exonarates their defense? It is silly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final note: I listed the pathetic defensive stats for this game on the original post. That INCLUDES the averaging of a better second-half defense. Which means that the defensive performance in the first half which put us in this black hole was exponentially worse that the final stats delineate.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM ]
Once again, my point is that the Niners' defense allowed these long drives well before the offense could be labeled a first half bust. There is no way to defend giving up points on 5 of 6 possessions, including four long drives. These were not cheapy drives.

I am willing to play Devil's advocate for the skeptics: Let's say that the Niners had a couple longer possessions, and capitalized on one of these for a TD. And, let's say that extra time the Niners had on offense wiped out the time needed for the final field goal by the Packers. That would still put the game at 20-10 at halftime.

Is allowing 20 points in one half acceptable? Is allowing a team to score four out of five possessions in one half acceptable? It's not.

The bottom line is that, while the offense stunk, the defense was run all over the field, from the first series. In all five possessions, where the Packers took over on offense, they moved to the 49ers side of the field (the sixth one began in 49ers territory). And, the offense may have performed better if the defense actually got their butts off the field. Is a three and out on defense out of line? It didn't happen in the first half.

Which teams allows four long scoring drives in the first half, and exonarates their defense? It is silly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final note: I listed the pathetic defensive stats for this game on the original post. That INCLUDES the averaging of a better second-half defense. Which means that the defensive performance in the first half which put us in this black hole was exponentially worse that the final stats delineate.

But the same thing can be said about the first half offense. Both sides lost us the game in that first half and both sides gave us a chance to win the game in the seconds half. It's not one or the other.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Couple responses on this thread:
1) In my response, I laid the responsibility on this loss squarely on the shoulders of the defense. There were surely other factors which contributed to the loss. The team seemed unprepared entering the game, and the Packers had a better game plan: Throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball. The offense did not help matters at all in the first half. However...

2) The Packers had the ball six times in the first half, and scored on five of those possessions. A 5/6 scoring ratio, especially when turnovers were non-existent, is tremendous for an offense, and pathetic for a defense.

A team is simply not going to win by allowing the opposition to score on 5 of their first 6 possessions.

P.S. For the record, the Packers began their five first-half scoring drives on these yard lines: the 26, 23, 22, 19, and SF 45. In other words, these were long drives.

Cheers.

Stop this nonsense, MD. Clearly, the offense is to blame for our defense not being able to prevent any of these scoring drives. We shouldn't expect NFL players to perform for even a mere half of football. Are you crazy? Who could EVER expect players in the NFL to not get gassed after just a single quarter of play?

This is absurd. The Packers scored on drives that would have likely been the same field position had we scored and kicked off to them. Scores on 5/6 possessions is unacceptable. Poor tackling, lack of awareness, and overall lack of preparedness killed us. We were outcoached and outplayed.

We were down, what? 20-3 at the half? 23-3?

This is the NFL -- you make a stop, you get your rest. The defense couldn't get themselves off the field.

The people who are mindlessly arguing that the defense's problem was due to the offense must not have seen the game.

What is laughable to me is that the Packers scored on the opening kickoff (the Niners offense was not on the field before), and then again on the second drive, after the Niners kicked a field goal. The Packers stacked on 10 points before the Niners begin their second offensive drive. How is that the offense's fault?

The correct answer is that the Niners offense had nothing to do with the Packers' first two drives and ten points. In fact, the defense actually performed better after these two initial drives, with 1 stop in the next 4 possessions, compared with the "rested" defense, at 0 stops in the first two possessions.

Once again, people, nobody is saying the offense was impressive in the first half. But, to lamely argue that the Niners' offense caused the Niners' defense to collapse is a weak argument. It is simply not true.

MD,

to the bold
What game were you watching? The score was 3-6 with 9 minutes to go in the 2nd half and GB scored 20 in the entire half. How could this be if they scored on 5 of their first 6 possessions?

Our defense was stopping the Packers.

The defense didn't have a bad game.

5 yards passing in one half is what killed us more than anything. Take a look at the 2 and 7 in our second drive. It was a playaction to Gore and Smith had Morgan open for a 3 yard pass with what would have probably ended up as a 5 yard gain with RAC to make it 3rd and 2 but Smith didn't throw the ball because he began looking deep.

On the second sack, when the score was still 3-6, Smith held the ball for 3.5 seconds and then began to run but the DE disengaged from being blocked to make a tackle for the sack.

I don't know what game you were watching MD but you better watch the 2010 GB/SF game.

LMAO!!!!! No your right they played excellent.......not getting off the field and allowing the packers to end the game on a 5:36 sec drive is really Alex Smith's fault!!!! Why the heck wasn't he out there making tackles.....some leader he is
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
allowing the packers to end the game is really Alex Smith's fault!!!! some leader he is

I KNOW
1) In my response, I laid the responsibility on this loss squarely on the shoulders of the defense. There were surely other factors which contributed to the loss. The team seemed unprepared entering the game, and the Packers had a better game plan: Throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball. The offense did not help matters at all in the first half. However...

2) The Packers had the ball six times in the first half, and scored on five of those possessions. A 5/6 scoring ratio, especially when turnovers were non-existent, is tremendous for an offense, and pathetic for a defense.

A team is simply not going to win by allowing the opposition to score on 5 of their first 6 possessions.

P.S. For the record, the Packers began their five first-half scoring drives on these yard lines: the 26, 23, 22, 19, and SF 45. In other words, these were long drives.

Cheers.

Stop this nonsense, MD. Clearly, the offense is to blame for our defense not being able to prevent any of these scoring drives. We shouldn't expect NFL players to perform for even a mere half of football. Are you crazy? Who could EVER expect players in the NFL to not get gassed after just a single quarter of play?

This is absurd. The Packers scored on drives that would have likely been the same field position had we scored and kicked off to them. Scores on 5/6 possessions is unacceptable. Poor tackling, lack of awareness, and overall lack of preparedness killed us. We were outcoached and outplayed.

This is the NFL -- you make a stop, you get your rest. The defense couldn't get themselves off the field.

The people who are mindlessly arguing that the defense's problem was due to the offense must not have seen the game.

What is laughable to me is that the Packers scored on the opening kickoff (the Niners offense was not on the field before), and then again on the second drive, after the Niners kicked a field goal. The Packers stacked on 10 points before the Niners begin their second offensive drive. How is that the offense's fault?

The correct answer is that the Niners offense had nothing to do with the Packers' first two drives and ten points. In fact, the defense actually performed better after these two initial drives, with 1 stop in the next 4 possessions, compared with the "rested" defense, at 0 stops in the first two possessions.

Once again, people, nobody is saying the offense was impressive in the first half. But, to lamely argue that the Niners' offense caused the Niners' defense to collapse is a weak argument. It is simply not true.

MD,

to the bold
What game were you watching? The score was 3-6 with 9 minutes to go in the 2nd half and GB scored 20 in the entire half. How could this be if they scored on 5 of their first 6 possessions?

5 yards passing in one half is what killed us more than anything. Take a look at the 2 and 7 in our second drive. It was a playaction to Gore and Smith had Morgan open for a 3 yard pass with what would have probably ended up as a 5 yard gain with RAC to make it 3rd and 2 but Smith didn't throw the ball because he began looking deep.

On the second sack, when the score was still 3-6, Smith held the ball for 3.5 seconds and then began to run but the DE disengaged from being blocked to make a tackle for the sack.

I don't know what game you were watching MD but you better watch the 2010 GB/SF game.

LMAO!!!!! No your right they played excellent.......not getting off the field and allowing the packers to end the game on a 5:36 sec drive is really Alex Smith's fault!!!! Why the heck wasn't he out there making tackles.....some leader he is

Not to mention the 30 pts he allowed.
  • dj43
The defensive game plan was almost as bad as the offensive game plan.

The DBs have been best when they get press coverage on the WRs. They can then slow them down and allow a little more time for a pass rush to develop. However, when the CBs line up 10 yards off the LOS, the WRs have plenty of room to run underneath routes and allow the QB to complete quick passes for RAC.

As to why the front seven turned to a wet sack I have no idea. The GB OL was a patchwork.

There is more going on behind the scenes with this team now than meets the eye.

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dj43:
The defensive game plan was almost as bad as the offensive game plan.

The DBs have been best when they get press coverage on the WRs. They can then slow them down and allow a little more time for a pass rush to develop. However, when the CBs line up 10 yards off the LOS, the WRs have plenty of room to run underneath routes and allow the QB to complete quick passes for RAC.

The defensive plan was horrible. Our CBs were lining up 7 and 8 yards off the line of scrimmage the entire game. This made it easy for Rodgers to dink and dunk us. We couldn't tackle to save our lives either.

Quote:

As to why the front seven turned to a wet sack I have no idea. The GB OL was a patchwork.

It got healthy again just in time for us.
The problem is our defense is getting worn down. How do you expect them to keep performing at a high level (first 4 games) when they're on the field way too much due to our insignificant TOP.

When you have no pass rusher and you're slow in your secondary, it doesn't help the situation.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I have a hard time judging our D when we don't have an O that can compliment it.

Psychologically it must be tough for a D to play hard when they know and can see that the O is inept and not going to give it any help. Just like the O needs the D to stop teams the D needs the O to score some points or at least hold on to the ball. The first few games our D was awesome but as the O got more and more ineffective so has our D

We still need a pass rush and help at safety but I cannot logically expect our D to play well when our O plays like pansies for an entire half. It's not fair to expect the D to play lights out the whole game when the O can play like pop warners for an entire half and then just score at will once they're down by 20 plus points. Especially when we know the D still isn't complete (pass rush and safety).

The D is playing bad, I'll give you that, but our O is terrible and you know good and damn well we're not going to get any field position from ST unless it's from Andy Lee blasting a 70 yard punt. Overall our team is not very good and it's all interconnected imo.
Originally posted by backontop:

Cheers.

MD,

to the bold

Yet Smith's 5 yard half and the defense's almost shutout half keeps getting overlooked. Why do I keep making extreme comments?

Because Smith worked wonders the ENTIRE GAME and the defense didn't do s**t the ENTIRE game. Alexusers saying Smith had a very good game is an extreme comment. Alex stunk up the first half along with the offense just as much as the defense did but you won't hear from me that the defense stunk it up as I don't hear from you that Alex stunk it up.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:

Cheers.

MD,

to the bold

Yet Smith's 5 yard half and the defense's almost shutout half keeps getting overlooked. Why do I keep making extreme comments?

Because Smith worked wonders the ENTIRE GAME and the defense didn't do s**t the ENTIRE game. Alexusers saying Smith had a very good game is an extreme comment. Alex stunk up the first half along with the offense just as much as the defense did but you won't hear from me that the defense stunk it up as I don't hear from you that Alex stunk it up.

You don't see it, but the rest of the world sees it: once we opened up the offense, we scored 21 points. When we were in our regular offense, we scored 3 points. Now, is that on Smith? How come the HC and OC don't get any blame, but only Smith does? By the way, Montana had many bad halves. Young had many bad halves. Manning had, and will continue to have, many bad halves. You don't base a performance on one half.
[ Edited by B650 on Nov 26, 2009 at 1:10 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone