LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

The Defense Cost Us This Game: Check out these Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Couple responses on this thread:
1) In my response, I laid the responsibility on this loss squarely on the shoulders of the defense. There were surely other factors which contributed to the loss. The team seemed unprepared entering the game, and the Packers had a better game plan: Throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball. The offense did not help matters at all in the first half. However...

2) The Packers had the ball six times in the first half, and scored on five of those possessions. A 5/6 scoring ratio, especially when turnovers were non-existent, is tremendous for an offense, and pathetic for a defense.

A team is simply not going to win by allowing the opposition to score on 5 of their first 6 possessions.

P.S. For the record, the Packers began their five first-half scoring drives on these yard lines: the 26, 23, 22, 19, and SF 45. In other words, these were long drives.

Cheers.
Gotta agree...we couldn't put any meaningful pressure on Rodgers, who'd been sacked 41 times coming into last Sunday. You give a QB of his caliber that kind of latitude, he'll light you up, which is exactly what he did. On top of that, we couldn't stop their run, which has been one of the most consistent aspects of our D all season. From all accounts, our D really didn't show up, putting all the pressure on the offense. They didn't respond in the 1st half, but three Alex TD's in the 2nd half got us to a point where we could've pulled out a win, but the defense couldn't get off the field.
WHEN THE OFFENSE ONLY CONVERTS ONE FIRST DOWN THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF PLAY, THE DEFENSE TENDS TO GET TIRED. YOU CAN'T RELY ON YOUR DEFENSE EVERY SINGLE GAME TO BAIL YOU OUT. BECAUSE OF THE OFFENSIVE WOES, THIS DEFENSE HAS HAD A VERY LONG SEASON AND PROBABLY PHYSICALLY AS WELL AS MENTALLY EXHAUSTED.
It is interesting how the defense essentially gave up no points in the second half, once the offense did their job. All defenses will break down unless the offense can score some points and control the clock. The fact that some of you are too ignorant to understand the balance necessary to be successful is astounding.

In fact, here is a better test for you yahoos. Go back and see how our defense performed in games in which we one moved the ball effectively. That will give you a better indication of how well our defense performs under normal conditions. Also, take a look at how many points we give up versus turnovers, again a better indication of what our defense faces week to week.

This is not to say our defense does not have holes, but our offense is primarily responsible for our defense growing tired as the year goes on. This is no different than the last five years in fact. If we had a reasonable offense, we would be 6-4, or 7-3 and no one would be saying a word right now.

Once again: OUR OFFENSE SUCKS!!! SMITH SUCKS!!! HILL SUCKS!!! WE WILL BE DRAFTING ANOTHER QB NEXT YEAR TO TRY AND FIX THE PROBLEM!!! STOP SUPPORTING MEDIOCRITY AT THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN FOOTBALL!!!
yup, I totally blame our O as well. Well maybe not totally, but our D is definitely not the problem here. It's gotta be frustrating as hell for the defense to have to be on the field for almost 40 minutes of the game because the goddamned O, can't get a first down.
I thought these teams were pretty even coming into this game. The slight edge going to Green Bay. That first half, to our players defense on both sides of the ball, we were out coached and out gameplanned. As a matter of fact, I believe our gameplan on offense has been already set for the whole year. McCarthy, who was our OC before he took over, kinda knew what we couldnt do to defend his spread the ball everywhere offense. Seeing that Singletary is looking like Nolan's protege, it is so easy to beat a team that comes out the same way every week, no matter who the opponent. The big killer, the screen plays, that we never have an answer for, converted first down after first down. In the second half, the defense did hold their own until it counted. They were gassed by the 4th quarter. Afterall, they had 41 minutes of play and about 500 yards of offense on them. That first half was about a games worth right there. Coach Manusky has to find some answers to our weaknesses now. No pass rush will kill any secondary.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to draft someone to rush the passer. That would help tremendously in getting off the field.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:37 AM ]
I don't understand why people make threads like these. It's rare that you can look at things through such a black/white context. There's always a grey area. The offense didn't help the D in the first half. The D didn't have it's best game either, but with some sustained offense in the first half they could have done much better (as they did in the 2nd).
Originally posted by Leathaface:
I don't understand why people make threads like these. It's rare that you can look at things through such a black/white context. There's always a grey area. The offense didn't help the D in the first half. The D didn't have it's best game either, but with some sustained offense in the first half they could have done much better (as they did in the 2nd).

that makes TOO much sense for this forum. GTFO!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Couple responses on this thread:
1) In my response, I laid the responsibility on this loss squarely on the shoulders of the defense. There were surely other factors which contributed to the loss. The team seemed unprepared entering the game, and the Packers had a better game plan: Throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball. The offense did not help matters at all in the first half. However...

2) The Packers had the ball six times in the first half, and scored on five of those possessions. A 5/6 scoring ratio, especially when turnovers were non-existent, is tremendous for an offense, and pathetic for a defense.

A team is simply not going to win by allowing the opposition to score on 5 of their first 6 possessions.

P.S. For the record, the Packers began their five first-half scoring drives on these yard lines: the 26, 23, 22, 19, and SF 45. In other words, these were long drives.

Cheers.

Stop this nonsense, MD. Clearly, the offense is to blame for our defense not being able to prevent any of these scoring drives. We shouldn't expect NFL players to perform for even a mere half of football. Are you crazy? Who could EVER expect players in the NFL to not get gassed after just a single quarter of play?

This is absurd. The Packers scored on drives that would have likely been the same field position had we scored and kicked off to them. Scores on 5/6 possessions is unacceptable. Poor tackling, lack of awareness, and overall lack of preparedness killed us. We were outcoached and outplayed.

We were down, what? 20-3 at the half? 23-3?

This is the NFL -- you make a stop, you get your rest. The defense couldn't get themselves off the field.

Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by backontop:
the defense has been a problem all year. They can't get turn overs, they can't stop the pass, they can't stop 3rd down conversions to get off the field and they can't stop a damn screen pass if their lives depended on it.

yeah but the O never helps either so this is a whole team problem.

Dont even get me started on are special teams. Besides andy lee's one bad punt he's done ok! BUT everyone else!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Nov 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by backontop:
the defense has been a problem all year. They can't get turn overs, they can't stop the pass, they can't stop 3rd down conversions to get off the field and they can't stop a damn screen pass if their lives depended on it.

yeah but the O never helps either so this is a whole team problem.

Dont even get me started on are special teams. Besides andy lee's one bad punt he's done ok! BUT everyone else!

I can't believe you forgot about Brian Jennings. If gods could be machines, he would be a machine, but he's not because he's a god see here's proof.

• soao
  • Veteran
it's important to note that our defense would have held the Packers scoreless in the 2nd half if Smith hadn't thrown an interception from our own 2 yard line

Does any one think that our defense would have stopped the Pack in the last 5:50 if they needed to score to win the game? The Pack used the kneel down for the last two minutes. They still had all their time outs as well.
You can't always have your cake and eat it too. Niners D is pretty good but we're the 2ND WORST TEAM ON CONVERTING 3RD DOWNS. Only the Raiders are worst.

Nobody says anything when our defense wins the game for us like they did against Chicago, St.Louis. Offense deserves blame.
Originally posted by Joecool:
The 5 total yards passing in the half has nothing to do with it.

The defense isn't to blame. No pash rusher and QB is.

Joe...the team could have won this game (or at least been in a position to win this game) if the defense stopped the Packers on their final drive. Same story in Indy.

The D can't step up when it has to...some of it is pass rush. More of it is a tendency to forget how to tackle in the clutch, and seeming unwillingness to challenge opposing receivers with the game on the line.
Share 49ersWebzone