LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 364 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree: "Hopefully we go with the spread offense next week"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hcniner64:
Is Raye even capable of running a spread offense? If we have to run a spread to be succesfull this may be bad because if Raye can not run it we would have to find ANOTHER OC and this is the last thing i want to do.

It's in his playbook . . .
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
We all know that there is a happy medium between Rayes spread offense and Martz. Would work with Alex and with Hill if need be sometime. May solve the QB issue. Losing Bass didn't help. Wragge should do better if needed next week with some time with the ones. Vernon is maturing and coming into his own. Now Crabtree is proving that he is someone the defense has to contend with. Now add our other receivers and I think the receiver position is covered. Decent second tight end. Probably need a good R.T. and less injuries on the Oline. Could be a bright future for the Offense if the coaching staff can get it right. Defense would improve with less time on the field and way fewer three and outs for the offense.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Is Raye even capable of running a spread offense? If we have to run a spread to be succesfull this may be bad because if Raye can not run it we would have to find ANOTHER OC and this is the last thing i want to do.

apparently when Mike Johnson wasn't working last year he was visiting colleges that ran the spread to see what they did right

and he will be fired for going against lord singletary's philosophy with an F
Originally posted by teeohh:

apparently when Mike Johnson wasn't working last year he was visiting colleges that ran the spread to see what they did right

he should have shadowed Indy colts games instead and learned from the best in Mr. Peyton Manning. Damn line up in hurry up offense. call some audibles. do something to offset the D or atleast try to throw the d off.
Originally posted by DonJulio:

That is awesome! Get her to sit on Singletary & Raye's desk every morning until they get the hint!
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
First Vernon now the rookie

Lets go Spread!

Even VD and Crabs can see the OBVIOUS

Everyone who watched this game sees the obvious. Only 200 year old Raye still comes out and says, "ya see ya gotta set up the pass with the run...ya run run then pass ya hear....now get the leather helmets on and lets go!"

Ridiculous. We need someone with brain.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Ridiculous. We need someone with brain.

Boy, Makes you wonder

If crabtree is in camp on time, maybe we do spread it out more.

It's bad when the players are basically calling out the play calling in the media. Puts the coaches in a tight spot.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's bad when the players are basically calling out the play calling in the media. Puts the coaches in a tight spot.

I think at this point it's a necessary thing to do seeing as how stubborn they are with being so conservative. The players play better in the spread, OBVIOUSLY. I agree with you that it could be a bad thing, but I feel like it is the right thing to do from the stand point that if no one steps up as a leader on the team and speaks for what they think is right, this team will crumble.

I think Raye has certainly proved capable of calling a spread offense.

The question is, are the 49ers capable of actually CALLING a spread offense?

If nobody calls out the leadership when the path is clearly leading off a cliff, then everyone goes "splat".

There is a point when frustration takes over, and the obvious HAS to be said. There is a point where "the grindstone" becomes really f***ing painful.

Even if we only have 10 plays to run in the "spread offense" or whatever the Hell it should be called, those 10 plays are better than the 1000 plays in the book that lead to 3n' outs.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
First Vernon now the rookie

Lets go Spread!

Even VD and Crabs can see the OBVIOUS
Originally posted by BrianGO:

If nobody calls out the leadership when the path is clearly leading off a cliff, then everyone goes "splat".

There is a point when frustration takes over, and the obvious HAS to be said. There is a point where "the grindstone" becomes really f***ing painful.

Even if we only have 10 plays to run in the "spread offense" or whatever the Hell it should be called, those 10 plays are better than the 1000 plays in the book that lead to 3n' outs.

Yea but you call it out in the locker room, not in the media. Of course frustration sets, but a rookie who just popped up shouldn't be spouting off about the direction.. It isn't that that serious at all.
That Green Bay D looked hammered when we were spreading it out, making their middle linebackers enter 'prevent' formations (whilst stretching out the defensive backs). -Not one defensive end was able to penetrate Alex's pocket, we looked totally unpredictable out of the shotgun, I just don't understand why we didn't start the game like this.

Also, Alex Smith looked as if he was playing at Utah, the moment he was out of the shotgun everything was flowing, and then the moment we make Alex exit his comfort zone he throws that urgent interception.

I just don't even understand why we continued to go with the i-formation after the Tenn. game when clearly it's the weakest setup for our offense, as our success rate has been 30% out of 2-TE/I packages, while the shotgun/spread has given us 95% success.

If Mike Martz was here we would have probably have been more dangerous than the Cardinals this year.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone