LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 359 users in the forums

I think the Green Bay game proves one thing...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
The QB is not our problem. We need to rebuild the offensive line. This game shows that if Alex Smith has the time he can make the throws. I think we need to operate more out of the shotgun, that is very apparent. This shows how important continuity is to the effectiveness of an offense.

Keep living the delusion that A.Smith will one day be a winning QB...
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
...it proves that even if you are the MOST sacked QB in the league if you have talent and good coaching you can roast a team! I am sick of the "it aint Alex it's the line" crap!!!!!!!

Rodgers is the most sacked QB by a freaking long way, and he puts up numbers and wins!

Alex aint bad but he aint great either!

He is also not the reason we lost today, he is serviceable, if he has time, something that that is hard to come by for NFL qbs...time that is not serviceability.

All that got proved today is that green bays offensive line is better than our pass rush, Rodgers had all damn day to throw. Smith had guys in his face all day long. We had 2 sacks and not many pressures at all.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
According to Eric Davis, Smith is good in the shot gun, but he is ineffective under center (reading defenses & finding the open man). In other words, Smith is very limited in the type of QB he could be. I'm not saying he's right and your wrong, I'm just saying thats his take and I do respect it.

If he's right, this that the QB we want for the future? One that can only succeed in the Shotgun.

The only reason Smith is ineffective under center is because before he finishes dropping back he's got to avoid 2 guys in his face.

Yep. There seems to be general consensus in this forum that the Niners have a horrible O-line. I think probably a majority might rate it the worst in the NFL. Yet, for some that seems to have nothing to do with how the QB plays. It makes sense that the shotgun would work better for any QB with this line because he is given a little more time. I guarentee that Brady or Manning would not spend a lot of time playing under center with this line.
[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 22, 2009 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by PTulini:
The QB is not our problem. We need to rebuild the offensive line. This game shows that if Alex Smith has the time he can make the throws. I think we need to operate more out of the shotgun, that is very apparent. This shows how important continuity is to the effectiveness of an offense.

Keep living the delusion that A.Smith will one day be a winning QB...

keep being blind to the real issues and to the fact that Smith isn't anywhere near the biggest issue on the team.
You know, I see most posts about how bad Alex is yada yada and the fact is if he is given 3 seconds to throw the ball like most qbs in the league he would be much more sucessful. I have been a 9er fan for 15 years and let me tell you this is one of the worst(if not the worst) offensive line I have ever seen. Whether its Hill or Smith, neither generally gets more than 2 seconds to throw. How do you expect receivers to get down the field in less than 2 seconds? A football team lives and dies by the line, on each side of the ball. It is the foundation to any good football team.
he's a p***y who wont stay in the pocket.

Most QB's with "enough time" should be able to make those throws..
This team needs an enema.
Alex is definitely not the problem... Our offense has to change the philosophy.... Alex is a keeper...
Originally posted by King49er:

There you have it. Concise and to the point; doesn't feel the need to say anything more. A true "King." Sheesh.
Sure, Alex missed a few throws. But anyone who really watched that game would agree, the offensive line did not play well. We need to rebuild the o-line.

Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by King49er:

There you have it. Concise and to the point; doesn't feel the need to say anything more. A true "King." Sheesh.

So you want me to keep sticking up for him???

Sorry man, I watch the games and I see how he plays, and it's not very good.

I don't know what anyone else is seeing...
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by servegmo:
Alex is definitely not the problem... Our offense has to change the philosophy.... Alex is a keeper...

I don't think he's a "keeper," but I can definitely see him going to another team and making us regret letting him go.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
We need to upgrade right tackle for sure. But we still need a QB that can operate from under center with good pocket awareness.
Tul...it proves more than that. It proves we're pretenders, not contenders. It proves Singletary doesn't get "it". It proves Jimmy Raye doesn't understand successful 21st century offenses. Sure, we need a vastly improved OL, no argument there. But, it really starts at the top...we're not a smash-mouth football team. Our best hope is to play a mostly spread offense where Alex is the most effective. But, we have a stubborn head coach who's content to allow Raye to stink up the offense. I'll say it again...we need sweeping changes in leadership, coaching, players and identity, or we'll be continually mired in mediocrity.
I agree we have a weak o-line but the loss in on the coaches shoulders. We were clearly outcoached and the players looked surprised as if the Packers were showing something they didnt see on film. Mr. Sing, start hot and go conservative when you have the lead. That is exactly what the Packers did today. You dont start conservative then go hot when you are down by 20 points. Havent you learned that by this time?
[ Edited by alpha81 on Nov 23, 2009 at 1:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone