LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

I think the Green Bay game proves one thing...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Today, Smith's performance showed that we may need to draft a QB next year. You cannot blame everything on the playcalling and take away from the misfired throws. This game falls on Smith and the OC both. We didn't really have any drops, but Smith was showing what he did in 06'. Lots of throw aways and some bad reads. That being said, I do feel like Smith was gimped by our playcalling in the first half.

Why the hell does Raye only do spread every down or super conservative? Does this moron have two completely separate playbooks, and refuses to mix them at all? I mean, this is just plain ridiculous...

Wow. You def. didn't watch this game. The defense gave up over 480 yards and 30 points. Smith threw 3 TDs and played well when Raye started calling pass plays in the second half.

Yea, he didn't watch the game. If he did, he would see the GB packers had the ball 42 minutes vs. 18 minutes by SF. GB moved the ball against ourD from the very beginning of the game, driving all the way to our goalline. It continued pretty much the entire game except a couple of posessions in the 2nd half.
the real issue is our coach is a glorified cheerleader.....its funny how many times today i called what was going to happen before it happened and i by no stretch of any imagination will sell myself as any type of genius. we are a severely ignorant orgainization. a severely ignorant offensive team, a severely ignorant defensive team, just a severely ignorant entitiy. mike singletary is one of the dumbest ignorant individuals i have ever known, we as a 49er team are one of the most ignorant teams ever to put on cleats. for as dumb as anyone could claim i am, i am that much more of a dumber ignorant individual for watching mike singletary trying to coach a team off of a 10 day break...i didnt agree with hiring a cheerleader last year off a fluke stretch, i dont swallow having a cheerleader as a coach now
Originally posted by ssahnan:
the real issue is our coach is a glorified cheerleader.....its funny how many times today i called what was going to happen before it happened and i by no stretch of any imagination will sell myself as any type of genius. we are a severely ignorant orgainization. a severely ignorant offensive team, a severely ignorant defensive team, just a severely ignorant entitiy. mike singletary is one of the dumbest ignorant individuals i have ever known, we as a 49er team are one of the most ignorant teams ever to put on cleats. for as dumb as anyone could claim i am, i am that much more of a dumber ignorant individual for watching mike singletary trying to coach a team off of a 10 day break...i didnt agree with hiring a cheerleader last year off a fluke stretch, i dont swallow having a cheerleader as a coach now

So... are you saying you think he is ignorant?
Watching A.Smith, the tools are there but he doesn't seem to be 'in' the game. Its like he is thinking too hard. When he sees the players open the way it was planned, he can throw a beautiful ball. So if he has time and the WR's get open, great. But if the play isn't there, or if he runs out of time, its like in his brain he is screaming 'CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP' and he just kind of shuffles around in the pocket. He doesn't have a 'feel' for the game, the best example of someone who does being Brett Favre.

Improving the line, and maybe more importantly playing in shotgun, will help him out a ton. But he isn't going to be someone you rely on into the playoffs.
According to Eric Davis, Smith is good in the shot gun, but he is ineffective under center (reading defenses & finding the open man). In other words, Smith is very limited in the type of QB he could be. I'm not saying he's right and your wrong, I'm just saying thats his take and I do respect it.

If he's right, this that the QB we want for the future? One that can only succeed in the Shotgun.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
According to Eric Davis, Smith is good in the shot gun, but he is ineffective under center (reading defenses & finding the open man). In other words, Smith is very limited in the type of QB he could be. I'm not saying he's right and your wrong, I'm just saying thats his take and I do respect it.

If he's right, this that the QB we want for the future? One that can only succeed in the Shotgun.

The only reason Smith is ineffective under center is because before he finishes dropping back he's got to avoid 2 guys in his face.
  • 49ers_FIckes_PA
  • Info N/A
he will learn... if u look up Alex he is a really smart guy he just thinks too much and don't u think ever qb in league can see whats going on better in the shotgun...
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
get me a new offensive coordinator asap. dammit this shiite is unbearable.

run, run, run, punt
run, run, pass, punt
run, pass, run, punt
run, pass, pass, punt

pass, pass, pass, punt
pass, pass, run, punt
pass, run, pass, punt
pass, run, run, punt

I am still very very conflicted about this. I think Raye is terrible but to have 8 OCs in 8 years? If that happens it might be the end of Smith's career.

What I vote for is keep Raye to help game plan but have Alex Smith call his own plays most of the time.

Was Smith calling his own plays in the second half??

does anyone know if he called his own plays at Utah?

No, he did that stupid stand up and look at the sideline thing that everyone is doing in College these days.
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Yes ALex has improved. However, he is in the pros now and needs to learn to properly read defenses from under center. NO EXCUSES. Thisi s the only thing holding him back from realizing his potential.

Is he really bad under center or does this post reflect your bias? I'm not sure. He is not that bad under center. No excuses although Smith doubters will say so... how many plays that are built around some silly screen on 2/3rd and long do you see? Too many.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

The only reason Smith is ineffective under center is because before he finishes dropping back he's got to avoid 2 guys in his face.

In most cases, Alex doesn't even have have the time to set his feet, forget about going through his progressions! Brian Billick made that assessment during the game. Our offensive line needs to get better. That should be our top priority next off-season. We have to do a better job of protecting the QB. (Whomever that may be?)

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

In most cases, Alex doesn't even have have the time to set his feet, forget about going through his progressions! Brian Billick made that assessment during the game. Our offensive line needs to get better. That should be our top priority next off-season. We have to do a better job of protecting the QB. (Whomever that may be?)

I'd love a new LG, RG and RT please
Originally posted by PTulini:

I'd love a new LG, RG and RT please

LT J. Staley and C E. Heitmann are our only bright spots on this offensive line. Everything else may need to be scrapped.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
I think we all need to ingore commentators. They are often wrong and repetitive. They have to keep talking to do their job. They don't put much thought into their analysis.

Brilliant coaches-turned-commentators say some really stupid things during games sometimes. John Madden says so many stupid things, I can't picture him as a successful coach he once was.
He can make the throws. He always could. We need...

~ A spread offense.
~ A better offensive line.
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for tohara3.
Originally posted by backontop:
I am glad that some posters around here have eyes and brains to see what the real issues are.
Share 49ersWebzone