There are 177 users in the forums

Blame Singletary thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Merged &
Originally posted by posterX:
Supporting Sing means you support mediocrity. If this is what you support, I do not welcome you as a fan of my team... hit the road... all of you. The Jaguars could use some fans.

The Redskins would be a good team for you to root for. They change coaches once every 2 years.
Supporting Sing means you support mediocrity. If this is what you support, I do not welcome you as a fan of my team... hit the road... all of you. The Jaguars could use some fans.

Eat s**t
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Eat s**t

and die
  • titan
  • Veteran
You cut Singletary we will lose all our players, I guarantee it! We are only tapping into our potential with our franchise players. We lost the game because of mistakes not because we were out coached. Keep the coaches and get rid of scrub players! When I say scrub I don't mean average players, I mean scrubs and you guys know who they are.

Originally posted by English:

You are kind of outnumbered, little buddy. I guess we will be staying and you can hit the road.

Or revert to the other username?

As if the majority has EVER been right about anything?

Please...

Spoken like a true democrat!!

Hello lv, how are you?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I disliked how the 49ers managed the game in the final 2 minutes of both halves.

First half, first down on 20 yard line, 1:03 left in the game.
What they did: 3 consecutive incomplete passes. Seattle gets the ball back with 37 seconds remaining and all of their timeouts (fortunately Lee did a great punt that put Seattle on their 21 yard line).
My analysis: 1:03 isn't that much time to move down the field with no time outs. There is a much higher probability that a bad play will turn the ball over than the 49ers getting in field goal range in such a short time period. With that in mind, it makes sense to pass on first down. If you can get that first 10 yards, then you are at at least the 30, and the odds of success are looking better. But if your first pass is incomplete (which it was), then you need to start thinking about the other team getting the ball back. I think calling 2 consecutive runs would have been a better play call. Seattle may just let you run out the clock, or at worst get the ball back with only one time out left. Anyway, fortunately for the 49ers their defense/special teams prevented Seattle from capitalizing on the mismanagement.

Second half, first down at 11 yard line, 51 seconds left. (2 time outs left)
What they did: screen pass for 7 yards, and then 2 incomplete passes. Seattle gets ball back at midfield with 21 second left (and we know how that ended)
My analysis: 51 seconds left and you plan to march down the field from your 11 yard line? You really need to be thinking about the risk of Seattle getting the ball back with great field position. I like the screen pass, but Gore stepped out of bounds. He should have been instructed to stay in bounds. I would then have called 2 consecutive run plays. Seattle would have been focusing on stopping the deep ball on second down, so there is a good chance that the run on second down would have gotten a first down, and you could then run out the clock, and head into OT.

In both cases, Singletary was thinking about scoring points, when he should have been focused on the probability of the other team getting the ball back in great field position. Seattle did have a lot of time outs, so getting a first down was the ideal scenario, however they didn't obtain it, and the result was the Seattle got the ball back with plenty of time outs, and in the second half, great field position. Conservative play calling would have at least ensured that they had few if any time outs, and most likely less time on the clock.
Coach did not lose this game, but...

Sing/Raye loathe modern offenses. To their very core they believe in safe, ball-control, low-scoring defensive games. Sing even refuses to use the term "spread" or to credit any success to it.

He is simply waiting for that mythical all-powerful team that can carry out his philosophy. The spread was just to throw some meat out of the sled to hold off the wolves for awhile.

Walsh had a tough first year, but his vision was progressive and realistic.

No use holding on to a coach whose vision is unrealistic because he will just get better at doing the wrong thing as he gets more experience.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

The Redskins would be a good team for you to root for. They change coaches once every 2 years.

Hey 1978, i remember you! how do you explain this brilliant coaching decision on third and three or the reverse on the kickoff return?

What should be blamed on the coaching staff is the extreme lack of discipline for the team. I mean, they had to call a TO on the first defensive play of the game. That is inexcusable. Further, all the stupid penalties are a result of not enough discipline.

It's really strange that this team lacks so much discipline given that Singletary seems like such a stickler for making sure people do things right. I mean, he had the team doing tackling drills during camp. Maybe he is being too much of a "player's coach."
Originally posted by dmatt:
Originally posted by obx49:
It's time for a change...

We need coach chin. He fits our personnel.

Sadly all these men have more coaching experience then what we have currently.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
His brand of football sucks. We do nothing until things get desperate, and if we do have the lead, we shut things off. I see no SB coming out of this ever.

this
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by dmatt:
Originally posted by obx49:
It's time for a change...

We need coach chin. He fits our personnel.

Sadly all these men have more coaching experience then what we have currently.

Who cares about coaching experience....

Gruden took over a Bucs team and won the SB, Tomlin took over a Steelers team and won the SB, Mike Johnson took over the Falcons and took them to the playoffs.

We don't have the talent the Bucs, Steelers, and Falcons do/did.

Sing is a good coach, makes rookie mistakes, that all these coaches have made.
The biggest problem was obviously the hiring the Raye, and trying to instill a smash mouth offense. At least he is listening to his players, and playing the best we have, and is taking full advantage of their talents.

You guys are the same people that would've fired Walsh in his first year. Whoever thinks we are worse off with Sing, than we were with Nolan, or Dickinson, or even with half of some NFL coaches, need to stop watching football, and go follow a different sport. Like ice curling, maybe you will understand that.
Singletary/Raye are about as good as the team, which is to say.....BELOW AVERAGE.

This season will prove that Alex Smith can play but I don't expect to draw positive conclusions beyond that.
Share 49ersWebzone