There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis

Originally posted by theduke85:
Duke is turning into a playoff legend. Where do you think he ranks in Niners history as far as his collective playoff body of work goes?

not sure in niners history, but he has to be the best post season te of all time. his 1st playoff game vs the saints had more yardage than kellen winslow had in that epic game in miami in 1981.
He's basically a metrosexual. He's got his own art gallery and he thinks he's an artist so he must be very cultured and refined. He loves cosmopolitan cities, said he'd love to live in London if NFL team was ever put there for example, and lives in San Francisco which is very cosmopolitan so there you go.
Can anybody tell me how to post text messages and pics directly from cell phone.
My boy in Oakland is banging VD's ex and he shared some pictures of her.
[ Edited by Agent47 on Jan 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM ]
Who the hell is "Duke"?
VD lights it up against Panthers.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He's basically a metrosexual. He's got his own art gallery and he thinks he's an artist so he must be very cultured and refined. He loves cosmopolitan cities, said he'd love to live in London if NFL team was ever put there for example, and lives in San Francisco which is very cosmopolitan so there you go.

Actually he's in San Jose but close enough
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Eventhough he caught the TD....I thought he had a relatively poor game today.

He's not the type of receiver that makes it easy on the QB...you basically have to throw him wide open. If you don't...he probably won't catch it. He just doesn't fight for the ball.

Exactly.

I think what hurts Vernon's perception a bit is that he's basically like a TE version of Mike Wallace. If he's not wide open it's a tough proposition for a catch, particularly down the field.

Can't rely on him to make the Boldin/Crabtree type catches, unfortunately. In every other category he is elite.

In a nutshell. If he has to reach, even a little bit . . . forget it. Otherwise . . . you said it, elite.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He's basically a metrosexual. He's got his own art gallery and he thinks he's an artist so he must be very cultured and refined. He loves cosmopolitan cities, said he'd love to live in London if NFL team was ever put there for example, and lives in San Francisco which is very cosmopolitan so there you go.


Let's not get carried away. He is barely educated when it comes to art and art history. He had no idea who Monet was, for example.
Doesn't matter. We're really mostly concerned with what he can do on the football field. Fortunately, he's an all-pro at that.
Having VD and Crabs at the same time is great.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Eventhough he caught the TD....I thought he had a relatively poor game today.

He's not the type of receiver that makes it easy on the QB...you basically have to throw him wide open. If you don't...he probably won't catch it. He just doesn't fight for the ball.

Exactly.

I think what hurts Vernon's perception a bit is that he's basically like a TE version of Mike Wallace. If he's not wide open it's a tough proposition for a catch, particularly down the field.

Can't rely on him to make the Boldin/Crabtree type catches, unfortunately. In every other category he is elite.

In a nutshell. If he has to reach, even a little bit . . . forget it. Otherwise . . . you said it, elite.

One of the smallest catch radiuses in the league but having said that, he can take the top off that defense.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Eventhough he caught the TD....I thought he had a relatively poor game today.

He's not the type of receiver that makes it easy on the QB...you basically have to throw him wide open. If you don't...he probably won't catch it. He just doesn't fight for the ball.

Exactly.

I think what hurts Vernon's perception a bit is that he's basically like a TE version of Mike Wallace. If he's not wide open it's a tough proposition for a catch, particularly down the field.

Can't rely on him to make the Boldin/Crabtree type catches, unfortunately. In every other category he is elite.

In a nutshell. If he has to reach, even a little bit . . . forget it. Otherwise . . . you said it, elite.

One of the smallest catch radiuses in the league but having said that, he can take the top off that defense.

It's crazy. I agree also that he is not a great pass catcher. But I've also never really seen a TE like him before. He really is a deep threat. Right up there with the Desean Jackson's and MIke Wallace's. If Vance McDonald develops into more of a traditional TE, look out. I honestly can't wait until we have another receiver, with sub 4.4/4.5 speed to put on the field at the same time as Vernon along with Boldin and Crabtree. Somebody will be open on every play.
Vernon has came through for us in the clutch. Total mismatch and I'm glad he's on our team but he def needs to work on fighting for the ball while it's in the air. The INT that Kaep threw last week I won't pin on Vernon. He was running full speed and his momentum carried him to the sidelines. Williams just made a nice athletic play. But the pass Kaep threw up on our first red zone trip to Vernon could have been fought for. Vernon just jumps there with his hands out like it's going to just land softly in his grasp. It damn near got picked by Williams first.

Vernon has to shield the defenders off with his body just like going for a rebound. Just like Tony Gonzalez does (although he played Basketball) and Jimmy Graham. Vernon is not as tall as them but he can still use his body to shield off the defender on throws that Kaep puts up for him.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Eventhough he caught the TD....I thought he had a relatively poor game today.

He's not the type of receiver that makes it easy on the QB...you basically have to throw him wide open. If you don't...he probably won't catch it. He just doesn't fight for the ball.

Exactly.

I think what hurts Vernon's perception a bit is that he's basically like a TE version of Mike Wallace. If he's not wide open it's a tough proposition for a catch, particularly down the field.

Can't rely on him to make the Boldin/Crabtree type catches, unfortunately. In every other category he is elite.

In a nutshell. If he has to reach, even a little bit . . . forget it. Otherwise . . . you said it, elite.

One of the smallest catch radiuses in the league but having said that, he can take the top off that defense.

It's crazy. I agree also that he is not a great pass catcher. But I've also never really seen a TE like him before. He really is a deep threat. Right up there with the Desean Jackson's and MIke Wallace's. If Vance McDonald develops into more of a traditional TE, look out. I honestly can't wait until we have another receiver, with sub 4.4/4.5 speed to put on the field at the same time as Vernon along with Boldin and Crabtree. Somebody will be open on every play.

The reason why he is a bad pass catcher is because he only knows how to catch with his arms/body and not with his hands. So if he were to fight for the ball in the air, he would basically become the defensive back, because he doesn't know how to nab the ball at his highest point. This, along with him always needing to jump are his flaws, but they make him a more "specific" target rather than a good or a bad one. Meaning the plays where you scheme him to get open, or you can hit him in his chest (like the 2011 Saints game) he will make HUGE plays.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Vernon has came through for us in the clutch. Total mismatch and I'm glad he's on our team but he def needs to work on fighting for the ball while it's in the air. The INT that Kaep threw last week I won't pin on Vernon. He was running full speed and his momentum carried him to the sidelines. Williams just made a nice athletic play. But the pass Kaep threw up on our first red zone trip to Vernon could have been fought for. Vernon just jumps there with his hands out like it's going to just land softly in his grasp. It damn near got picked by Williams first.

Vernon has to shield the defenders off with his body just like going for a rebound. Just like Tony Gonzalez does (although he played Basketball) and Jimmy Graham. Vernon is not as tall as them but he can still use his body to shield off the defender on throws that Kaep puts up for him.

not going to happen. he has to use his body to catch the ball. the mentioned tight ends can catch just with their hands.
Originally posted by kujon11:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Vernon has came through for us in the clutch. Total mismatch and I'm glad he's on our team but he def needs to work on fighting for the ball while it's in the air. The INT that Kaep threw last week I won't pin on Vernon. He was running full speed and his momentum carried him to the sidelines. Williams just made a nice athletic play. But the pass Kaep threw up on our first red zone trip to Vernon could have been fought for. Vernon just jumps there with his hands out like it's going to just land softly in his grasp. It damn near got picked by Williams first.

Vernon has to shield the defenders off with his body just like going for a rebound. Just like Tony Gonzalez does (although he played Basketball) and Jimmy Graham. Vernon is not as tall as them but he can still use his body to shield off the defender on throws that Kaep puts up for him.

not going to happen. he has to use his body to catch the ball. the mentioned tight ends can catch just with their hands.

I was hoping that Boldin would rub off on him in this manner. Vernon will be Vernon but when you have a 30 pound advantage on your defender you should do as most do in basketball and put your a$$ on someone and use your body to shield your opponent from getting the ball before you do. Vernon played some hoops as well I thought