There are 185 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis

Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
I love the war approach to the game that both our coaching staff and Smith take to preparation every week. For a Player of Alex Smith's caliber to not throw Int's is amazing. Sure it is dumbed down and supped up but it's offical. I am sold. VD will get the damn ball when it is needed. See the Saints game etc.

Exactly, we need to find out what our WRs can do and see if any changes need to be done there. You saw where they were in the playoffs right? Nowhere!
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
I agree

His talent is being wasted by a QB who cant get him the ball.

Other than these last 2 games ALex has always found Vernon.

This is true.

well 2 games is enough , pretty soon it will be 3 games , 4 games ..THEN fans will realize our passing attack has not made any real improvements

I've already realized that. However, implying Alex can't get Vernon the ball is simply inaccurate. He might have a hard time getting everyone else the ball, but he's proven capable of connecting with Vernon.

I'm not implying , I think Alex has proven HE CANT get him the ball, a big fat doughnut on the stats sheet for Davis is pathetic, I wouldnt mind if Davis went the entire game without a catch, as long as the other receiving options reaped the benefits of the tight defense on Davis, and made some plays , but they didnt ...it was our running game that won the Seattle game for us .......I'm a big Alex fan , but he looks lost at times
This was the first game in Vernon Davis career where he didnt have a catch. Alex Smith can get him the ball.

stop making excuses, the fact of the matter is this should never happen.

It happens to great teams with great wide receivers all the time. Get over it.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
I agree

His talent is being wasted by a QB who cant get him the ball.

Other than these last 2 games ALex has always found Vernon.

This is true.

well 2 games is enough , pretty soon it will be 3 games , 4 games ..THEN fans will realize our passing attack has not made any real improvements

I've already realized that. However, implying Alex can't get Vernon the ball is simply inaccurate. He might have a hard time getting everyone else the ball, but he's proven capable of connecting with Vernon.

I'm not implying , I think Alex has proven HE CANT get him the ball, a big fat doughnut on the stats sheet for Davis is pathetic, I wouldnt mind if Davis went the entire game without a catch, as long as the other receiving options reaped the benefits of the tight defense on Davis, and made some plays , but they didnt ...it was our running game that won the Seattle game for us .......I'm a big Alex fan , but he looks lost at times
This was the first game in Vernon Davis career where he didnt have a catch. Alex Smith can get him the ball.

stop making excuses, the fact of the matter is this should never happen.

It happens to great teams with great wide receivers all the time. Get over it.

okay
Vernon Davis not getting the ball thrown to him 10-15times a game is an outrage
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I've made a crusade (about a year ago) that every thread dealing with the office will turn into an anti-Alex thread.

FIxed!
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
I agree

His talent is being wasted by a QB who cant get him the ball.


Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
I agree

His talent is being wasted by a QB who cant get him the ball.

Other than these last 2 games ALex has always found Vernon.

This is true.

well 2 games is enough , pretty soon it will be 3 games , 4 games ..THEN fans will realize our passing attack has not made any real improvements

Those are basic pass plays designed for the tight end – Vernon Davis. He runs a quick hitch in the middle of the field. The quarterback takes a three-step drop from undercenter and throws the ball to Davis. It's an easy way to get him involved in the pass game – something the 49ers couldn't do against the Seahawks.

Although the tight end is the primary receiver, the quarterback has the option to throw the ball to the other receivers in the pattern, especially the "go" route if the cornerback is playing bump-and-run coverage on the flanker and the QB likes the matchup of his WR against the DB.

Roman called a Y-Stick. Alex Smith noticed Richard Sherman was giving flanker Michael Crabtree a 10-yard cushion. Smith, without ever looking at Davis, took a three-step drop and fired a short pass to the sideline. Smith expected Crabtree to run a quick out, but he ran a "go" route up the field and the pass fell incomplete.

I don't know who takes the blame for that busted play, because I don't know if Crabtree was supposed to change his route.

On the next play Joe Staley was flagged for a false start, and then the 49ers faced third and 12. Roman called another Y-Stick play – this time from a spread shotgun formation. Davis lined up as a receiver in the slot right next to the right tackle. He ran a quick stick route and was open, but Smith didn't throw it to him. Instead, Smith stepped up in the pocket and threw a 2-yard check down pass to Frank Gore, and then the 49ers punted.



http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/10/inside-the-49ers/did-roman-call-the-y-stick-and-the-y-stick-lookie-against-the-seahawks/
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
When Alex is rattled he plays like Chris Everett , that's why the passing game is off and on, when Alex has all the pieces set in place, blocking, WR's open and playing calling is on fire, he plays like a top 10 QB. He needs to be confident, or we see him getting back to his old self. Vernon was getting the ball pretty often when we were on our terror through the first 4 games.

The obvious answer to me is that the coaching staff needs to figure out first and foremost how to get Alex going again, figure out how to get Vernon the ball, maybe get him in different looks, maybe line him up as a WR, or HB/FB. Maybe STOP bringing in Kaep in such inopportune moments, like on 2nd and long or when the score is close. Ive noticed that Vernon practically runs the SAME routes every time, where's the creativity? We see so much creativity in the running game but our passing game is as bland as they come.


He does run the same routes too much. And we never seem to put him at WR or even FB just to shift him around. Not to put him at FB for example. But he can come out of the backfield and be an after thought in the passing game. We need to hide him and move him around. We have done a terrible job with that.

Agree. I watch how the Chargers use Gates and he does line up any and everywhere possible to get him the ball. Also how many different routes Gonzales run for the Falcons to get him the ball during different games. We have got to do something to get the ball into Vernon's hands no matter in what fashion we must use. I do believe and hope the entire passing game will evolve and get much better and consistent in the 2nd half of the season.
100% agree
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I've made a crusade (about a year ago) that every thread dealing with the office will turn into an anti-Alex thread.

FIxed!
Truth. I have made it my mission to crusade against apostates of good quarterback play.

Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by Mercuryspeed:
I love the war approach to the game that both our coaching staff and Smith take to preparation every week. For a Player of Alex Smith's caliber to not throw Int's is amazing. Sure it is dumbed down and supped up but it's offical. I am sold. VD will get the damn ball when it is needed. See the Saints game etc.

Exactly, we need to find out what our WRs can do and see if any changes need to be done there. You saw where they were in the playoffs right? Nowhere!

what else do u want to see?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Truth. I have made my prostate good play.


Fixed!
Yes, VD needs to be more involved in the passing attack but its not because Alex is ignoring him. Alex and VD have the best chemistry of all of wr's and if you don't know that you must not have been watching many of our games over the last couple of years.

Having said that, we don't have another weapon that threatens other teams db's so they blanked VD on all passing downs.

Now, I think Moss should play more cause he still comands an occasional double team, which could help open up VD more often.

Also, the coachs should also get Jenkins in the game. We drafted him cause Trent had a man crush on the dude and said he was basically the best wr in the draft with huge potential. If other 1st round wr's are playing and contributing, so can Jenkins and his speed is desperately needed. His presence would also help pull coverage from VD.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Truth. I have made my prostate good play.


Fixed!

Ok...I give....