There are 291 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
VD gets double coverage from the safety. Crabs runs one-on-one.

It's not that big of a mystery.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
VD gets double coverage from the safety. Crabs runs one-on-one.

It's not that big of a mystery.

And also, Crabtree is more of a natural receiver. He is better at getting a little open even when they're covering him.
Teams have been cured from VD, and now they're catching Crabs!
My theory of why Kaep is more comfortable with Delanie Walker.

When Kaep was practicing with the 2nd strings, his TE was Delanie Walker. So, he has built the chemistry with DW when they were practicing together as 2nd string / 2nd team offense.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:

When Kaep was practicing with the 2nd strings, his TE was Delanie Walker. So, he has built the chemistry with DW when they were practicing together as 2nd string / 2nd team offense.

There's probably something to that. Also, Walker is open.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

So many times Walker is barely covered as well.... I guess teams just expect him to drop it
Originally posted by AUniner:

So many times Walker is barely covered as well.... I guess teams just expect him to drop it

And they'd be right 50% of the time...solution? Only have him run EZ routes...all day long.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AUniner:

And they'd be right 50% of the time...solution? Only have him run EZ routes...all day long.

what's easier than being wide open in the end zone?
On NFL Network right now, its pretty funny too.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
VD on media day said after sing kicked him out he told sing that he wanted out of sf.

Originally posted by susweel:
VD on media day said after sing kicked him out he told sing that he wanted out of sf.

yeah sing made him into a man, big ups to ol' dingleberry
Damn I missed it, anyone have a video link by chance?
Originally posted by susweel:

that was my concern when it happened, i thought he'd never play another down for the team
For anyone, but especially for people that watch Coaches film... Is Vernon Davis a s**tty route runner? I know he has great linear speed, but he's not exactly very agile. I was watching playbook and they were showing coaches film of him running an out route and the route looked very rounded, it took him a few yards to break to the out. Do you think his not so great agility makes him a sucky route runner compared to other tight ends? He still gets open a lot probably because of his great speed, but I think he would be unstoppable with great route running. I'm just wondering.

Also, Vernon Davis's ball skills have dramatically improved over the last couple years. I'm wondering as to why we don't ever give him any jump ball opportunities in the red zone. He's 6'3 250 pounds with a 43 inch vertical. He should be able to box guys out and go up and get the ball like Tony Gonzalez, right? Or maybe his ball skills still aren't good enough?

And for that matter I'd like to see us let Crabtree and Moss 'Moss' some folks from time to time and catch over defenders when in situations where sometimes you just got to put it up and let your guy make a play.

I know throwing it up to a wide receiver isn't the safest bet and of course you want to throw to the open receivers but sometimes everyone is guarded and if you got a guy one on one with a defender you should take a shot and give your receiver the opportunity to make a play. I'm not saying to throw jump balls all day, just saying I hope this gets incorporated a little into the offense next year when the opportunities present themselves.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM ]
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
For anyone, but especially for people that watch Coaches film... Is Vernon Davis a s**tty route runner? I know he has great linear speed, but he's not exactly very agile. I was watching playbook and they were showing coaches film of him running an out route and the route looked very rounded, it took him a few yards to break to the out. Do you think his not so great agility makes him a sucky route runner compared to other tight ends? He still gets open a lot probably because of his great speed, but I think he would be unstoppable with great route running. I'm just wondering.

Also, Vernon Davis's ball skills have dramatically improved over the last couple years. I'm wondering as to why we don't ever give him any jump ball opportunities in the red zone. He's 6'3 250 pounds with a 43 inch vertical. He should be able to box guys out and go up and get the ball like Tony Gonzalez, right? Or maybe his ball skills still aren't good enough?

And for that matter I'd like to see us let Crabtree and Moss 'Moss' some folks from time to time and catch over defenders when in situations where sometimes you just got to put it up and let your guy make a play.

I know throwing it up to a wide receiver isn't the safest bet and of course you want to throw to the open receivers but sometimes everyone is guarded and if you got a guy one on one with a defender you should take a shot and give your receiver the opportunity to make a play. I'm not saying to throw jump balls all day, just saying I hope this gets incorporated a little into the offense next year when the opportunities present themselves.

It seems to be the only way he gets extra steps on defenders. Either there is some broken coverage, he is singled and outruns his defender, or if it is close, it is perfect ball placement by the QB. Not knocking him, but I never thought route running was a strength of his. If it were, he would easily be a 70 + catch TE every year.
Share 49ersWebzone