There are 148 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Has he been traded to the Raiders yet?
I wanted the Paryls Harlyson ko Vernon but instead got the bald,Kanye puss version.

Enjoy retirement Vern.
I cannot understand the folks that would rather see Vance McDonald on the field than the team's best TE. Cap space is meaningless if they aren't going to use it and after this past offseason we have no reason to believe they will use it.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I cannot understand the folks that would rather see Vance McDonald on the field than the team's best TE. Cap space is meaningless if they aren't going to use it and after this past offseason we have no reason to believe they will use it.

Weve been up against the cap every single year so what exactly do you mean "if they arent going to use it"? The only reason we have more cap space than usual is because of the untimely retirements and departures. Under Baalke weve never been a team to not use cap space just for the hell of it.

Me personally, its not about seeing Vance over Vernon. Its about seeing who ever is going to put the most effort. Vernon may be talented but it means nothing if hes playing like he doesnt want to be there.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Weve been up against the cap every single year so what exactly do you mean "if they arent going to use it"? The only reason we have more cap space than usual is because of the untimely retirements and departures. Under Baalke weve never been a team to not use cap space just for the hell of it.

Me personally, its not about seeing Vance over Vernon. Its about seeing who ever is going to put the most effort. Vernon may be talented but it means nothing if hes playing like he doesnt want to be there.

The team certainly is short talent and long on cap space at the moment.

I don;t care about effort as much as I care about talent and results and I think Vernon is a lot more talented that the other TE's on this team and if he is reasonably healthy he will bring better results from the position. Vance is terrible and Celek's college and pro numbers tell his story IMO. Having VD and Celek on the team makes this team better.
Vernon to KC to rescue Alex.
Vernon Davis just isn't very good anyone, God I can't believe I'm saying this but Celek is better right now and that is stooping to new lows.

Celek isn't exactly gonna turn into Gary Barnidge over night, but he can give you like 30 yards an maybe a TD every 6 weeks. Vern, you were something when you were young, Father Time has singles you out brotha. Once he has his grip on you he never lets go.

Combine his age an his lack of passion for the game you get a guy who we may get a 7th rounder for. Vance is in year 3, he may end up being another bust. I say throw The BellDozer to the fire an let the kid learn. He may be special , all kinds of talent oozing from that youngster

I don;t care about effort as much as I care about talent and results and I think Vernon is a lot more talented that the other TE's on this team and if he is reasonably healthy he will bring better results from the position. Vance is terrible and Celek's college and pro numbers tell his story IMO. Having VD and Celek on the team makes this team better.

Effort and talent go hand in hand. If you don't have one you may as well give up on the other.

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Vernon to KC to rescue Alex.

This... although I don't know if they will want to trade away picks. Maybe Fisher would be a good swap despite his troubles - couldn't be worse than Pears.
Remember Eric Johnson? Jeremy shockey? 3-4 good years and that's all she wrote, then again maybe playing basketball is the key to a sick tight end.. Lol ( Antonio gates )
Should have known his talents were diminishing when he got stuffed by the goalpost.

Maybe a change of scenery would be good for him.

I don't think the team is short on talent overall just have a ton of young players and a new coaching staff.

If we can grab a pass rusher and work on the OL in the draft/FA l think we will be fine.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Should have known his talents were diminishing when he got stuffed by the goalpost.

Hahaha true

The idea that people like to put out there in regards to our front office that they are cheap about acquiring players is a totally fallacy. The rules require 90% of you cap to be spent averaged over a 5 year period. Sure due to the fact that we lost players after it was too late to replace them we fell under this year but, year to year it is simply impossible under the current agreement for an owner to be "cheap". You could level that argument about what they spent on coaching...but players? The rules simply don't allow you to slum lord it up because you will just end up having to make up for it in subsequent years.
Originally posted by 49erjonny:
Remember Eric Johnson? Jeremy shockey? 3-4 good years and that's all she wrote, then again maybe playing basketball is the key to a sick tight end.. Lol ( Antonio gates )

Roids seemed to help there with Gates too. Gonzo and Witten are the current archetype for the TE I want. They are in the Brent Jones mold, find a soft spot in the coverage and sit down there. Be the safety blanket for our QB, when the first read isn't open and running lanes aren't there, be there for Kap to dump you one for a quick ten yards. Move the chains for us and be the big bodied guy with butter soft hands that wont get pushed off the ball by a corner 30bs lighter than you. Vern was always to soft on the ball for me. He fights catches when open and doesn't use his size when in traffic.
Share 49ersWebzone