LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
No puedo encontrar un video de ella, pero si has visto el juego, te vi ... claro como el día.
Originally posted by Ninerguy:
The point is that the ball was close enough for him to make an effort at catching it. He could put forth a little more effort on that play.

I'll have to take a look at it again. I can't find it online.
It looked like Kap had his choice of VD, or D. Walker on that TD toss, and Kap picked Walker, Vernon has been less the dependable as a receiver.
I didn't dwell on it, but from just watching the game at full speed he was moving pretty fast. Vernon does need to step up some, everyone else is.
He needs to start stepping up more
As long as he is blocking and the Niners are winning I am OK with him. Maybe he will catch some teams off guard in the playoffs when they are doubling Crabs.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
It looked like Kap had his choice of VD, or D. Walker on that TD toss, and Kap picked Walker, Vernon has been less the dependable as a receiver.

the play happened right in front of me. It was a great read and throw by kaep as he threw it well before VD broke free. Vernon was not going all out for that ball.
For those saying it was overthrown... Go rewatch the game. It hit his fingertips and his arms were bent. If he straightens his arms, it hits him in the palms. He is too muscle bound for his own good. Makes him better at blocking, worse as a pass catcher.
[ Edited by Oregon49erfan on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
That ball was overthrown Vernon was at top speed If he caught it , it would of had been a dramatic catch. They "just" missed it.

Kaep needed more touch on that.... but if vernon laid out he probably could have caught it - a difficult catch regardless.
Vernon continues to get a bad rap due to lack of fantasy stats. He's still one of the MVPs of our offense with his blocking and forcing defenses to respect him. That missed connection was just as much CK's fault. As has been said, it was "just" miss. I'm sure we haven't seen the end of big plays from Vernon this season.

Of course, a related discussion could be had about Crabtree's emergence as a true #1 WR. That certainly makes the lack of receiving production from our TE more palatable.

Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Vernon continues to get a bad rap due to lack of fantasy stats. He's still one of the MVPs of our offense with his blocking and forcing defenses to respect him. That missed connection was just as much CK's fault. As has been said, it was "just" miss. I'm sure we haven't seen the end of big plays from Vernon this season.

Of course, a related discussion could be had about Crabtree's emergence as a true #1 WR. That certainly makes the lack of receiving production from our TE more palatable.

This has happened the last 3 games to be considered just a miss is an understatement
Kaepernick and him need to work on their chemistry. I think on both of those routes Vernon broke for the Corner and Kaep threw it straight up and that put Vernon in a tough spot. I'm not sure if Vernon was supposed to go corner there or if he was supposed to stick with his vertical route. Either way it was essentially the same mistake on both plays. Vernon had it over top and went to the corner and Kaep threw it right over top and Vernon couldn't quite adjust to the first and couldn't adjust at all to the second. Kaep also needs to work on getting some air on the ball. He had two chances for Moss that were missed because he put it on a rope instead of letting Randy jump for it. Same for Vernon. We all know Vernon would rather have the ball a bit to the side and not a straight dropback pass. They will work it out.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
For those saying it was overthrown... Go rewatch the game. It hit his fingertips and his arms were bent. If he straightens his arms, it hits him in the palms. He is too muscle bound for his own good. Makes him better at blocking, worse as a pass catcher.

I love VD, he's one of my favorite players but this is what I saw as well. It looked like a catchable ball and he just didn't go all out for it.
didnt we have a thread like this 2 months ago
Reminds me of how Crabtree and Smith were early on. Kaep and Vernon just need to work on that 0785 Chemistry.
Share 49ersWebzone