There are 233 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by crake49:
He sounds like he's looking to get it back this year.

But when he held out last year even though he was the 3rd highest paid TE in the league with TWO years remaining on his contract. And on top of that, he played like s**t and I questioned if he had any passion last year.

if i were to ask my employer to double my salary, even though I'm very well compensated, and when my my employer refuse to give into my demands, my work performance was s**tty. I can not and will not respect anyone who does that.

He drove me nuts last year as well. I still can't get that great defensive play he made for the Rams to deny Vance a TD catch out of my head. But, I also think last season is going to prove to be an aberration. I think he'll come back strong this year - just my guess.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Antix:
If he has a good season I think he's gonna be looking for more than we're gonna be willing to pay him. And his speed is nice but so is having a TE who can make tough catches and run nice routes neither of which are his strong suits. He's been a pretty good Niner but in the past few months I've watched both Gore and Willis walk both of which I have 1000x more attachment to than Davis. If he has a good season and demands what I'd expect he would it'd be best to move on I think.

Maybe but 4.3 is 4.3 and Trent has already said he wants guys that can run and make explosive plays. When right VD affords us that very thing and is a constant mismatch for any individual LB or S. There are always teams willing to outbid us and if they do it won't be a Crabtree situation where he goes unsigned for three months. VD will command a big deal early and we will be comped very nicely. Thing is we got some space headed into next offseason so we could theoretically afford to keep him a little longer. I have no idea what his tag would be

VD is the type of player that could fall off fast (unlike a player like Gore) so I'd rather ditch him a year early than a year late. His skill set isn't going to age well and he doesn't have the route-running and craftyness to remain dominant like Gates or Gonzalez. Now is the time to draft a hydrid-Delanie Walker type guy and get his blocking up to par before Vernon leaves.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for kdoggie.
The 69-ish yard catch and run TD (that was called back due to penalty) he had against the SD Chargers gave me some hope that vintage VD is still there.

Let's just hope he catches the dang ball without fear of getting hit.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
http://ninerfans.com/how-patrick-willis-retirement-influenced-vernon-davis-to-attend-voluntary-workouts/

It shouldn't take a hall of famer who was your former teammate to retire for you to wake your ass up from being a little b***h.

f**king scrub

the coach said the key phrase in my opinion.. :"no one had a good year last year".. they all deserve a second chance. i think they are all refreshed and motivated for this coming year. you do not throw a player like vernon who has done great things for us under the bus after a off year. thank god for a fresh start for all
Players who had a good year:

Anquan Boldin
Perrish Cox
Frank Gore
Antoine Bethea
Chris Borland
Aaron Lynch

Tomsula might have meant that since the team did not do well no player had a good year.

In other words, he was not saying that all or any particular individual did not have a good year.

But, who really knows.

His point was that putting it all on Kap was ludicrous...and he was right.
Originally posted by kdoggie:
The 69-ish yard catch and run TD (that was called back due to penalty) he had against the SD Chargers gave me some hope that vintage VD is still there.

I'm hoping to see him catch some passes without his feet leaving the ground this year. Please don't jump unless you have to. If the pass is on the numbers, don't jump! Just catch the damn thing.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by kdoggie:

I'm hoping to see him catch some passes without his feet leaving the ground this year. Please don't jump unless you have to. If the pass is on the numbers, don't jump! Just catch the damn thing.

he is 10 years deep in his career, i dont think thats going anywhere sadly. its always guys with minimal faith in their hands who do that. guys who trust their hands just pluck the ball out of the air. jumping like that allows you to kind of cradle it into your body and also serves as a way to slow things down in a game that moves very fast.
Just a random Vernon Davis observation:

He's never quite been the same since Kam Chancellor blew him up near the sideline. I wonder if that hit made him re-evaluate his priorities in life.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Just a random Vernon Davis observation:

He's never quite been the same since Kam Chancellor blew him up near the sideline. I wonder if that hit made him re-evaluate his priorities in life.

I disagree. That Kam hit was December 2012. In 2013 Vernon cought 13 TD passes. I would say thats a Great Season for any TE.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I disagree. That Kam hit was December 2012. In 2013 Vernon cought 13 TD passes. I would say thats a Great Season for any TE.

That's true. He did have a good season after the hit.

Maybe he just wants his last big contract before he'll really play like he did in 2013 because he knows his career could end any play. His blocking this year was pathetic, and he's usually a good blocker. He does not seem as tough as he once was at all.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

That's true. He did have a good season after the hit.

Maybe he just wants his last big contract before he'll really play like he did in 2013 because he knows his career could end any play. His blocking this year was pathetic, and he's usually a good blocker. He does not seem as tough as he once was at all.

He took 2014 off from day 1. A no show and then a Hold out and then a bad ankle and then a bad back/ribs/ no motivation. He better bring it this year or for sure he's gone.

• buck
  • Veteran
He took 2014 off from day 1. A no show and then a Hold out and then a bad ankle and then a bad back/ribs/ no motivation. He better bring it this year or for sure he's gone.

Davis sure seems very enthusiastic about this season and is putting in extra work with Kaepernick.

He just seems more motivated than last year.

Originally posted by defenderDX:
http://ninerfans.com/how-patrick-willis-retirement-influenced-vernon-davis-to-attend-voluntary-workouts/

It shouldn't take a hall of famer who was your former teammate to retire for you to wake your ass up from being a little b***h.

f**king scrub

Lets hope it has a Singletary effect on him. He went balls deep after that influence.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Davis sure seems very enthusiastic about this season and is putting in extra work with Kaepernick.

boone is back
hunter is back
dorsey is back, anthony davis will be healthy
bowman is coming back, mayyybe country
new toys in reggie and troy, good vet in darnell, plus the draft to come
one locker room
lots of reasons to be excited in my opinion

Maybe he didn't believe in the coaches on the offensive side of the ball last year...
Originally posted by cciowa:
boone is back
hunter is back
dorsey is back, anthony davis will be healthy
bowman is coming back, mayyybe country
new toys in reggie and troy, good vet in darnell, plus the draft to come
one locker room
lots of reasons to be excited in my opinion

And Brock is back!
And Aldon is back for the full year.
Tank is a better pass rusher than ray Mac

It's going to be a good year IMO and you know Davis is going to produce like always if healthy. I see more of a 10 td 750 yards 60 catch year
Share 49ersWebzone