LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think Vance can do it. Vernon started his career with many drops and still has issues finishing catches. Imagine if Vernon, his rookie year, dropped a couple of balls, and wasn't given as many reps as he did? He would be in a similar boat as Vance.

Fact is, Vance gets open. Dropping balls won't be an issue with more reps.

Delanie is a perfect example. He wasn't known as having reliable hands and wasn't considered anything close to Vernon. Now, he gets more reps and is considered a better TE than Vernon. It's all about reps and opportunities.

Vernon isn't a great TE. He's a decent TE with amazing speed. That's it.
i just think you are seriously undervaluing vernon who is a great tight end,, and are over valuing vance. i would like to know who considers walker a better tight end than vernon. this is one of those things we can go back and forth all day so we will agree to disagree about vernon and see what shakes out this year. i really think vernon could get comeback player of the year
Originally posted by cciowa:
I think Vance can do it. Vernon started his career with many drops and still has issues finishing catches. Imagine if Vernon, his rookie year, dropped a couple of balls, and wasn't given as many reps as he did? He would be in a similar boat as Vance.

Fact is, Vance gets open. Dropping balls won't be an issue with more reps.

Delanie is a perfect example. He wasn't known as having reliable hands and wasn't considered anything close to Vernon. Now, he gets more reps and is considered a better TE than Vernon. It's all about reps and opportunities.

Vernon isn't a great TE. He's a decent TE with amazing speed. That's it.
i just think you are seriously undervaluing vernon who is a great tight end,, and are over valuing vance. i would like to know who considers walker a better tight end than vernon. this is one of those things we can go back and forth all day so we will agree to disagree about vernon and see what shakes out this year. i really think vernon could get comeback player of the year

He is a great TE at blocking. In terms of receiving, he has more cons than pros in terms of what a TE should be able to do.
I'm just tired of watching him jump for catches that are right on the numbers. What's that all about? But OTOH, I think last season was an anomaly. And I think with Smith's speed on the outside and Bush always a threat to catch a pass and run wild, Davis will find it a lot easier to get open this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
I'm just tired of watching him jump for catches that are right on the numbers. What's that all about? But OTOH, I think last season was an anomaly. And I think with Smith's speed on the outside and Bush always a threat to catch a pass and run wild, Davis will find it a lot easier to get open this year.

i will back you up on that in regards to him jumping all over the place .
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
He is a great TE at blocking. In terms of receiving, he has more cons than pros in terms of what a TE should be able to do.

last year he was not worth a damn at blocking and after the first four or five games of the year i no longer gave him the injury excuse. see i can agree with you!! lets just hope he comes back strong, vance and carrier make major major strides,, we need all hands on deck for this coming year.. if all three suck again or get hurt , well there will be plenty of time to get pissed off
He totally quit last season, Ive hadnt seen a more lazy player on the field in my life. You think he would be the one retiring early but VD will toil around the next 6 seasons collecting checks, looking for something else to invest in other than his time in football. That is fine, its his life but im about done watching him jog around out there. Injuries or not, he is more interested in working his counter at Jamba Juice and all the other things he does. Hope he proves me wrong but I have my doubts.

A borderline superstar, one of only 2 TE's in history to have seasons of 13 or more TD's, completely disappears and is non existent. Cashed it in
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
He totally quit last season, Ive hadnt seen a more lazy player on the field in my life. You think he would be the one retiring early but VD will toil around the next 6 seasons collecting checks, looking for something else to invest in other than his time in football. That is fine, its his life but im about done watching him jog around out there. Injuries or not, he is more interested in working his counter at Jamba Juice and all the other things he does. Hope he proves me wrong but I have my doubts.

A borderline superstar, one of only 2 TE's in history to have seasons of 13 or more TD's, completely disappears and is non existent. Cashed it in

Back injuries will make it seem like that.

He probably should have been shut down for the year but we've seen how bad our offense can be w/o him on the field. I fully expect him to bounce back this year.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:

Back injuries will make it seem like that.

He probably should have been shut down for the year but we've seen how bad our offense can be w/o him on the field. I fully expect him to bounce back this year.

This. I don't understand how people don't realize that he f**ked up his back. I expect a good year for Vernon.
Hope he bounces back big time this season!
He is more worried about his brand name what a quitter , talk about a quitter

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Vernon Davis has always had business ventures or an interest in business outside of football, it's just that not too many people knew about it until he started to become a dominate player. Now that he's been in the spotlight for a few years, fans are getting glimpses into his life off the field and correlating it to his lack pf production (last year) on the field. This is an incorrect approach to judging him IMHO. To me it simply looks like Vernon came from a poor financial background and wasn't introduced to financial literacy until he joined the NFL. Now that he's wiser, he's investing in assets that will generate wealth for his future generations. How much time he's dedicated to investing versus how much time he's dedicated to football is unknown to 99.9% of the people on this forum.
I'm kind of tired of him painting and making girly smoothies and wearing pink. Time to grow some hair on your balls and man up and get ruthless. Learn a thing or two from Dockett
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
When healthy, he's real good. Hopefully, he's fully recovered. If he is, I have a feeling he's gonna be back to form and maybe even better / tougher... especially with Sparano coaching him up.

Maybe he will grow the hair back on his balls... no more Brazilian Boy Waxing could be a good start
I have no expectations of him. He's just trying to prolong the paychecks as long as he can. His main concern now is to avoid physical contact. He's still on the team though. Somebody must think there is something left in him.
Yep, this guy's heart isn't in the game like others. He just worries about his stats and his brand. I couldn't believe the B.S. he pulled last offseason. If he doesn't pick it up, time to draft a TE early in the draft next year.
Share 49ersWebzone