LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I'm a bit disturbed at Vernon's lack of effort at slightly overthrown balls. There were 2 occasions where if he had just laid out a bit, he'd have made a tough but doable reception. One would have been a TD! And this wasn't the first time I've seen him short arm balls. Is it just me or did anyone else notice this?

I dont think he is very good at tracking the ball in air. He isnt one to make diving catches. As others pointed out, hes not a natural pass catcher just a supreme athlete playing TE

Totally noticed it. Looked like a Kevin Willis or something wit the short arming. I'm like dude!!!! Lunge!!! Its the Patriots. Then when he lost like five yards trying to make something happen as if there was 30 seconds left in the game.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
what is going on with Vernon?
he gets no targets,
Originally posted by Garcia:
what is going on with Vernon?
he gets no targets,

The long and short of it is that Crabtree's production is up because Vernon has been getting blanketed like a mofo

Still would be nice if they at least forced it to him once or twice, just to acknowledge his presence
I'm a bit disturbed at Vernon's lack of effort at slightly overthrown balls. There were 2 occasions where if he had just laid out a bit, he'd have made a tough but doable reception. One would have been a TD! And this wasn't the first time I've seen him short arm balls. Is it just me or did anyone else notice this?

I dont think he is very good at tracking the ball in air. He isnt one to make diving catches. As others pointed out, hes not a natural pass catcher just a supreme athlete playing TE

This, still wish he would though.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zillabeast:
The long and short of it is that Crabtree's production is up because Vernon has been getting blanketed like a mofo

Still would be nice if they at least forced it to him once or twice, just to acknowledge his presence

crabtrees #s are about on par with last year.
We targeted Vernon early in the game. I don't think he saw a single pass go his way in the 2nd half. Kaep missed him on 2 potential TD's. Kaep clearly has great chemistry with Crabtree. That's his go-to guy. Everyone else is an afterthought. I'd like to see him build similar chemistry with Vernon.
Looks like he just completly misjudges sometimes.

Tracks the ball, puts his head down to run takes his eyes off , looks back and the ball is past him. On that second deep ball he short armed after it had gone past, was almost like a reaction to the ball to make it look like he tried.

IMO both those balls were catchable sure Kaep could have put more touch on etc but both were catchable and were in places that only VD could catch them . Not like that interception on the throw to moss lol
When a guy is open by 20 yards, and especially when it's one who has no natural catching ability like VD, he expects the ball to be a floater which would be easy to catch. That throw by Kap should have just sailed in there because VD was wide f**king open by 20 yards. He didn't short arm s**t IMO.
Sometimes the throw has to have some air underneath of it to let the receiver like VD run underneath of it for a more vertical drop. I think Kaep has a strong arm throw, so he sometime wants to beat that coverage with it down field. Thus the zippy pass that isn't ideal for receivers to make the catch. He has to find that balance with more practice.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

crabtrees #s are about on par with last year.

This, only difference is Crabtree's health is letting him get YAC. Davis did get the ball "forced" to him on that TD, CK was supposed to roll farther out but had to stop short cause of pressure so he forced the throw early and put a bit too much on it, overthrowing Davis. That said Davis should've jumped for it.

Vernon needs to help Kap out if the ball isn't perfect. Extend your damn arms... also, who cares about his touches if we are winning. Crabtree is picking up the slack.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Vernon needs to help Kap out if the ball isn't perfect. Extend your damn arms... also, who cares about his touches if we are winning. Crabtree is picking up the slack.

Hard to over throw Vernon. Kaep missed a wide open Vernon on that play. Vernon's arms were extended, but the ball still sailed him. Maybe Vernon could've laid out for the pass, but Kaep's gotta put better placement on that ball.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Hard to over throw Vernon. Kaep missed a wide open Vernon on that play. Vernon's arms were extended, but the ball still sailed him. Maybe Vernon could've laid out for the pass, but Kaep's gotta put better placement on that ball.

Of course, but VD could have laid out. Not every ball will be perfect. He can make a great catch every now and again...
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Of course, but VD could have laid out. Not every ball will be perfect. He can make a great catch every now and again...

THIS! Of course the ball could have and should have been better thrown, especially with him so wide open, but when it's not, you have to give it an extra effort. In this case, it would have required some "stretch", arms at least fully extended and some lean or laying out, none of which happened. I actually can't recall Vernon ever laying out for a ball, but I do recall other instances of me being very frustrated that he didn't, for what appeared to be catchable (hard catches to be sure) balls.
kap missed him twice on 2 wide open plays which would've been TDs. its okay though, as long as VD can play through this, im fine with him not getting the ball a lot.
Share 49ersWebzone