There are 175 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I'm on the fence with whether I want Vernon to keep playing or sit down some more.
Back injuries are so damn tricky. Sometimes you gotta play through it and it will loosen up, sometimes that makes it worse!!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
If he's injured then he needs to sit. A healthy Carrier is better than what VD is doing now. If his back is so bad he can't catch then I know he must be f**king up in blocking too. Just put carrier in and wait for him to be healthy. dropping 25 yard passes and TDs isn't helping at all.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He should have been benched in STL. He should have been benched Sunday.

If he comes out in two weeks still looking like the rusty tin man, he shouldn't play.

Davis hurt his back. Damaged backs are no joke.

He might look like a rusty tin man for a while.

If his back is still bad, and sure looks like it is, the coaches need to grow some balls---and sit him.

Put McDonald and Carrier in the game and send Vernon in for some serious rehab.

Are the coaches obligated to play him?
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I dunno what's inside them smoothies, but it seems like he's been producing more estrogen than testosterone in his body...
His back is in a lot of pain atm.
I don't want to hear excuses about a bad back. If he was still hurting to the point where his performance was an issue he shouldn't have played and I can't imagine the coaches would put him out on the field if they saw he was struggling with the injury.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He should have been benched in STL. He should have been benched Sunday.

If he comes out in two weeks still looking like the rusty tin man, he shouldn't play.

Davis hurt his back. Damaged backs are no joke.

He might look like a rusty tin man for a while.

If his back is still bad, and sure looks like it is, the coaches need to grow some balls---and sit him.

Put McDonald and Carrier in the game and send Vernon in for some serious rehab.

Are the coaches obligated to play him?
Its either the trainers, the coaches, or VD himself. Somebody is full of s**t saying he can play.
He is on a lot of pain killers just to get out there.
The one worst thing you can do for a bad back , regardless of etiology, is to twist your torso, bend over....if Vernon has a bad back, playing him will result in one thing...his back getting worse. If he was put on pain killers, all that does is allow him to move and twist, bend, but all that STILL makes a bad back worse...disc, strain, sprain...doesn't matter. They all get worse with playing football. And a jarring hit? Worse yet. If, IF he has a bad back, he has no business out there on the field until it is better. If he has to be out 2-3 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, whatever it takes , after a good orthopedic workup, xrays, MRIs...then that is what needs to be done and make him take time off until he is better. I would hope Coach H knows the problem and does the right thing.

One thing for sure. Something is DEFINTELY wrong with Vern.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM ]
He should be rehabbing but the guy has got such a big heart, he is out there playing and whining through the pain. He can hardly move and we need to make allowance for that.

Originally posted by 49erLegend:
He should be rehabbing but the guy has got such a big heart, he is out there playing and whining through the pain. He can hardly move and we need to make allowance for that.

How do you know this? Why do you think you can just make things up and state them as "True?!"
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Bottom line is, Davis is not going to get better nor faster... he may be on top of his game now, but the way our offense is being run, he can easily be replaced.

We have Vmac as the blocking TE, and we have Carrier as the pass catching TE... and if those guys are just too slow compared to Davis, then we have all the WRs in the world who can line up and do what VD does on passing downs..

I say we pull the trigger and accept a 2nd rounder from either the Jets, KC, Houston or even Jagz..

I just dont see how he's helping the team right now..
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Its either the trainers, the coaches, or VD himself. Somebody is full of s**t saying he can play.

When I blew out my back, I tried to go to work.

The people in charge (the doctors, the physical thera0pists, and risk management director) just shook their heads and said, "No."

I had voice but no vote.

If his back is bad, those in charge need to sit him.

[ Edited by buck on Oct 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:
Bottom line is, Davis is not going to get better nor faster... he may be on top of his game now, but the way our offense is being run, he can easily be replaced.

We have Vmac as the blocking TE, and we have Carrier as the pass catching TE... and if those guys are just too slow compared to Davis, then we have all the WRs in the world who can line up and do what VD does on passing downs..

I say we pull the trigger and accept a 2nd rounder from either the Jets, KC, Houston or even Jagz..

I just dont see how he's helping the team right now..

LOL

hell f**king no.

I see everyone is still bashing/underestimating or whatever, Vernon.

I'm taking down all of yall's names.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
LOL

hell f**king no.

I see everyone is still bashing/underestimating or whatever, Vernon.

I'm taking down all of yall's names.
Is it undeserved? Past accomplishments don't matter at this point. It's a new season, and frankly he hasn't been that great. It's unfortunate his drops are exacerbated by the fact that they usually come on critical downs and distances.

I highly doubt this coaching staff, a staff that routinely sits players out for an entire year to make sure they're good and healthy, is forcing Vernon into the game when we have plenty of receiving options. Could be Vernon felt he was needed this game and may have understated the amount of pain he was in, or (and hopefully not) his heart is just not in it at this point in time. It's not far fetched, considering what kind of person he is away from football, to think he may have his heart and mind in other places.
Share 49ersWebzone