There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis

Originally posted by TDNiners:
Originally posted by susweel:
Just another fail of Roman.

Wow... I'm surprise... Youre not consistent.

Shouldn't you blame -----


Alex?

just kidding bro

Lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
How can it be an off year if they don't get him the ball? He is simply not being used. It's criminal.

This. Why bother having a high-priced TE if you're using him to block about 90% of the time. Meanwhile the other TE can't catch a cold and yet they run plays for him.

I did say he is having an off year based on a Number of things. An off year is an off year regardless of the reasons.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
No. Not realistic in the slightest. Anytime a players production slides a round here, the excuse is that they are being saved for the playoffs. Thats simply proposterous. Hes having an off year, doesnt have great chemistry with Kaep, Roman doesnt seem to be intent on getting him the football, and he is being used primarily for blocking for the young QB.

Its a bit of everything, but is certainly having an off season. I love VD so please dont try to twist my words. He is simply having an off year due to all of the above, and even with AS at QB he as having an off year.

Flipping Jimmy Raye found ways to get the ball to VD regularly. I don't think Roman has been putting enough of an emphasis on getting the ball out to him, letting him make plays in the open field. I look at it as a failure of offensive playcalling. When you have a major weapon like VD, you utilize him as much as you possibly can.

I agree, like i said, i think it is all of the above.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Crabs is 231 yards away from 1000 yards on the season, and yes he targets Crabtree more. Vernon seems not open much anymore. Seems teams double team him.

Well if that's the case, then there should be openings for someone else, which there really haven't been.

Most good offenses make it look like there's too few defenders out on the playing field, the 49ers offense is the only that I've seen which makes it look the defense is playing with two extra men out on the field.


Good teams find ways to get the ball to their playmakers but I've seen little effort in getting the ball to VD with any sort of regularity and Roman has seemingly been happy with using him as almost strictly a blocking TE and little else.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by TDNiners:
Originally posted by susweel:
Just another fail of Roman.

Wow... I'm surprise... Youre not consistent.

Shouldn't you blame -----


Alex?

just kidding bro

Lol

Seriously... Roman is not dictating. You can feel the rhythm when they dictate. This seems a little too passive.
But of course, give dolphins credit maybe they were prepared.
Originally posted by TDNiners:
Here is what I believe is happening.

I believe that teams double team Davis with the Safety. They are challenging us to throw to our WRs.

But
1) Our OLine are not very good pass blockers - sacks galore whoever is the QB
2) WRs can't win their one of one match ups. This is evident when I was in the Rams game. Against a JV secondary our WRs can't get open.

All teams except for the Bears are following this blueprint. Of course, success and failure depends on their personel and whether we can run that day.

The Bears didn't believe we would pass. If you watch that game again 1) you wil see they have freaking 9 in the box. 2) Their secondary lost their matchups. 3) The QB had all day to throw. NOBODY is around the QB when he lets go of the ball. NOT even in the same zip code close.

You will see this patter again. Its up to our WRs to win the battle. Very tough to do since I believe our WR are schemed open not open because they won their battle against the secondary.

I agree.

I always thought that during the bears game the Niner fans should have been more excited about the OLine and DLine than the QB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Crabs is 231 yards away from 1000 yards on the season, and yes he targets Crabtree more. Vernon seems not open much anymore. Seems teams double team him.

Well if that's the case, then there should be openings for someone else, which there really haven't been.

Most good offenses make it look like there's too few defenders out on the playing field, the 49ers offense is the only that I've seen which makes it look the defense is playing with two extra men out on the field.


Good teams find ways to get the ball to their playmakers but I've seen little effort in getting the ball to VD with any sort of regularity and Roman has seemingly been happy with using him as almost strictly a blocking TE and little else.

Its just not a very creative passing offense. Today i as happy to see them atleast attempt to open the passing game up a bit ith Moss, and the last couple games with miller, and walker, but its just not creative enough when it comes to use of TE and WR's.

It kind of bums me out because all we heard when harbaugh/roman came as how creative they were with TE's.
Still waiting to see that Stanford offense. Maybe David Shaw is the true mastermind.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Its just not a very creative passing offense. Today i as happy to see them atleast attempt to open the passing game up a bit ith Moss, and the last couple games with miller, and walker, but its just not creative enough when it comes to use of TE and WR's.

It kind of bums me out because all we heard when harbaugh/roman came as how creative they were with TE's.

Well......Roman was the running game coordinator and David Shaw was the passing game coordinator...so maybe the 49ers ended up with the wrong guy????
Is Alex Smith fault....
Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
Is Alex Smith fault....

This is always the correct answer.
Why do people still use the "he gets doubled" excuse? Every elite receiver in the league gets doubled all the time, and they still get their catches and yards. Brandon Marshall, Megatron, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson and all the others. These guys aren't getting double teamed all the time? I don't know why he's not getting the ball, but I have to assume it's because of the play calling and quarterbacking, and not because he's being blanketed on every play.
Originally posted by Disp:
Why do people still use the "he gets doubled" excuse? Every elite receiver in the league gets doubled all the time, and they still get their catches and yards. Brandon Marshall, Megatron, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson and all the others. These guys aren't getting double teamed all the time? I don't know why he's not getting the ball, but I have to assume it's because of the play calling and quarterbacking, and not because he's being blanketed on every play.

This. Forget WR's, look at other top TE's such as Jimmy Graham who are major threats and their teams find ways to get them the ball. The situation is pretty clear-cut, either we have bad QB play, bad playcalling or a combination of those two factors.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by DONBIS:
They're saving his plays for the post season. I don't think its too difficult to pick up on. Come playoffs it will be seem routes, wheels, digs, out routes, post routes, option routes, screens and split-out wide fades.

Killin my fantasy production from the TE spot tho.

No. Not realistic in the slightest. Anytime a players production slides a round here, the excuse is that they are being saved for the playoffs. Thats simply proposterous. Hes having an off year, doesnt have great chemistry with Kaep, Roman doesnt seem to be intent on getting him the football, and he is being used primarily for blocking for the young QB.

Its a bit of everything, but is certainly having an off season. I love VD so please dont try to twist my words. He is simply having an off year due to all of the above, and even with AS at QB he as having an off year.
Well what if he has another playoff performance like last year? Will you still say its unrealistic when they start drawing up or calling plays that target him, because thats what I think will happen.
You can't just shove me into a collective group that you have obvioulsy made up, because since iv'e been reading on this site going back to 2005 (7 years) this team has only been to the playoffs once and tell me who they were saving last year since you have such a strangle hold on the topic.

That ole boy Davis is having a hard time catching Number 7's passes, they get there pretty quick and when they get there it seems like they wanna fight. He just barley learned how to catch Smith's passes and now he's working with what seem to be hot potatoes on these intermediate throws.