LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by buck:
A lot is not going to be sufficient.

Graham must be able to show that he actually functioned as a wide receiver for a substantial majority of his snaps.

I have no idea if Graham's specific grievance has validity, but a working out-of-class grievances are at least theoretically sound.

I do not know if Vernon Davis is asking to be paid as a wide receiver?

He is answering those questions the same way he answered questions in regards of his "holdout".

Jun. 4, 2014
Woohoo! That works for me!" Davis told Maggie Gray on SI Now when asked if he wanted to see Graham win his case.Asked, however, if he should be classified as a wide receiver, Davis said, "You know what? I'm a tight end. I'm a tight end. But I must say, if it happens, then I'm sure every tight end's going to try to follow behind Jimmy Garham. But my role is to play the tight end position. I do everything they tell me to do."
Davis, 30, hasn't taken part in the 49ers offseason workouts because he wants a new contract. The problem is that the tight end market has been stagnant in recent years and Davis is the third-highest paid player at the position. He's the second-highest paid 49er, and his 2014 salary is more than wide receivers Michael Crabtree's and Anquan Boldin's combined salaries.
According to Pro Football Focus, Davis lined up as a traditional tight end 64.5 percent of the time in 2013. He led the team that season in touchdown catches and yards per reception. Davis told The Bee last week he wasn't sure whether he would miss this month's mandatory minicamp. All of the workouts thus far have been voluntary, though Davis did forfeit a $200,000 workout bonus by skipping them.
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/04/6457993/vernon-davis-closely-watching.html

Two days later however his answer isn´t that specific anymore.

June 6, 2014
So Davis surely believes he should be paid the same way, given that he previously told NBCSN's Pro Football Talk that Davis sees himself as a receiver?
"I can't speak for myself," Davis said. "I'll let everybody else do that."
By everybody else, Davis possibly means his shareholders.

"He believes that he deserves more, and I believe that he deserves more," Davis told ESPN regarding Graham, who's caught in a franchise-tag fight with the Saints. "He's just a wonderful presence. He's a great player. He has a lot of potential to go above and beyond and just go further. He is one of those guys that is a part of that TE position that are changing the game — Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, [Rob] Gronkowski.

"Those guys are some fantastic players. If it was me, if I was the owner of the team, I would give the kid everything he wants because he's that."

More specifically, Davis believes Graham should be paid like a receiver, which is the gist of his pending grievance.

"If you're a guy who's catching a lot of passes and you possess some of the traits that wide receivers have, then yes, I agree," Davis said. "I think that he should get paid like a wide receiver."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/06/vernon-davis-lobbies-for-jimmy-graham-to-get-paid/

Vernon doesn't always come off as the "brightest bulb in the tanning bed" when he speaks. I hope this gets resolved quickly.....I want #6 this year. I can't wait for game one when we spank Dallas at their place.
Originally posted by DeUh:
A lot is not going to be sufficient.

Graham must be able to show that he actually functioned as a wide receiver for a substantial majority of his snaps.

I have no idea if Graham's specific grievance has validity, but a working out-of-class grievances are at least theoretically sound.

I do not know if Vernon Davis is asking to be paid as a wide receiver?

He is answering those questions the same way he answered questions in regards of his "holdout".

Jun. 4, 2014
Woohoo! That works for me!" Davis told Maggie Gray on SI Now when asked if he wanted to see Graham win his case.Asked, however, if he should be classified as a wide receiver, Davis said, "You know what? I'm a tight end. I'm a tight end. But I must say, if it happens, then I'm sure every tight end's going to try to follow behind Jimmy Garham. But my role is to play the tight end position. I do everything they tell me to do."
Davis, 30, hasn't taken part in the 49ers offseason workouts because he wants a new contract. The problem is that the tight end market has been stagnant in recent years and Davis is the third-highest paid player at the position. He's the second-highest paid 49er, and his 2014 salary is more than wide receivers Michael Crabtree's and Anquan Boldin's combined salaries.
According to Pro Football Focus, Davis lined up as a traditional tight end 64.5 percent of the time in 2013. He led the team that season in touchdown catches and yards per reception. Davis told The Bee last week he wasn't sure whether he would miss this month's mandatory minicamp. All of the workouts thus far have been voluntary, though Davis did forfeit a $200,000 workout bonus by skipping them.
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/04/6457993/vernon-davis-closely-watching.html

Two days later however his answer isn´t that specific anymore.

June 6, 2014
So Davis surely believes he should be paid the same way, given that he previously told NBCSN's Pro Football Talk that Davis sees himself as a receiver?
"I can't speak for myself," Davis said. "I'll let everybody else do that."
By everybody else, Davis possibly means his shareholders.

"He believes that he deserves more, and I believe that he deserves more," Davis told ESPN regarding Graham, who's caught in a franchise-tag fight with the Saints. "He's just a wonderful presence. He's a great player. He has a lot of potential to go above and beyond and just go further. He is one of those guys that is a part of that TE position that are changing the game — Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, [Rob] Gronkowski.

"Those guys are some fantastic players. If it was me, if I was the owner of the team, I would give the kid everything he wants because he's that."

More specifically, Davis believes Graham should be paid like a receiver, which is the gist of his pending grievance.

"If you're a guy who's catching a lot of passes and you possess some of the traits that wide receivers have, then yes, I agree," Davis said. "I think that he should get paid like a wide receiver."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/06/vernon-davis-lobbies-for-jimmy-graham-to-get-paid/

Sigh

I clicked the stinkin link before reading where it went. I should know better. Trying not to give that guy clicks.
Vernon better shut his mouth about him being a WR. All I remember is he pulled his hammy vs Dick Sherman in week 2 "trying" to play WR.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by crabman82:
just looked it up, he was lined in usual wr spots 67% of the time

Some TEs line up at WR a lot, but almost no WRs line up in TE spots. They should just define a TE by lining up at something like 20% of the snaps at TE to avoid this problem in the future. I don't think any receiver in NFL history has ever lined up at TE spots 20% of the time. That's just a guess though, so I could be wrong.

I wonder if they are counting the slot as a WR spot? Because that is what we used the call split out, and that was a TE position. A split out TE can wham block on the run, can draw a line backer away from a run, or if the line backer doesn't go with him, he is wide open. That is old school football, so unless he is lined up all the way at the flank, last man on the line, I would not count that as lined up as a WR. I would call a WR in the slot, lined up as a TE, but I am hopelessly over 40!
I too would like to hear the words of wisdom on that one. I had assumed a WR in the slot ran slants like Decker or the PATs slot now with Peyton(forgot his name, brain fade), but when a TE lines up out there in the essentially split out slot,(esp for TE wham plays), I don't think it is referred to then as TE being in slot position...merely, the "TE is split out". I would like to be educated, however.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teylo31:
Didnt the saints place the franchise tag on graham. Doesnt that technically means he is holding out

I do not think so.

Graham has no existing contract. A player with no valid existing contract can not hold out.

A player who has contract and who does report as required out can be fined.

If Graham does not have a existing valid contract, he is not holding out and he cannot be fined.]

If you want to characterize that as a technicality, you have to admit that it a major technicality.

In my estimation, Graham is not a hold out no matter how you choose to look at it.

Didnt the saints place the franchise tag on graham. Doesnt that technically means he is holding out

I do not think so.

Graham has no existing contract. A player with no valid existing contract can not hold out.

If Graham does not have a existing valid contract, he is not holding out and he cannot be fined.]

If you want to characterize that as a technicality, you have to admit that it a major technicality.

In my estimation, Graham is not a hold out no matter how you choose to look at it.

so if he doesn't sign the Franchise tag tender..he is free to sign with another team ?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Vernon better shut his mouth about him being a WR. All I remember is he pulled his hammy vs Dick Sherman in week 2 "trying" to play WR.

If that is all you can remember, .....

never mind.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I do not think so.

so if he doesn't sign the Franchise tag tender..he is free to sign with another team ?
d

Good question. I do not know the answer.

If Graham does not win his grievance, we will find out what it means if he does not sign his franchise tag tender.

Nevertheless, there is no doubt that right now Graham is NOT a hold out.

I do not think so.

d

Good question. I do not know the answer.

If Graham does not win his grievance, we will find out what it means if he does not sign his franchise tag tender.

Nevertheless, there is no doubt that right now Graham is NOT a hold out.

i will tell you what happens.

That player is tagged and is under contract for that team.

It's up to the player to sign that tender or hold out for a year to become eligible to be a free agent.

So by not agreeing to the TE Franchise tag he would be holding out

Is VD's stock up or down?
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Is VD's stock up or down?

Down as long as he's not playing, not creating more positive buzz for himself, and losing money. That's why I don't understand his angle. Who is going to want to buy stock in a player who isn't going to play?
  • buck
  • Veteran

It's up to the player to sign that tender or hold out for a year to become eligible to be a free agent.

I do not know if you are right about this, but you may be.

At some point in the future Graham may be, or may not be, a hold out.

If I remember correctly, you asserted or implied that Graham is a hold out.

Please acknowledge that at this moment Graham is not, and may never be, a hold out.

I do not know if you are right about this, but you may be.

At some point in the future Graham may be, or may not be, a hold out.

If I remember correctly, you asserted or implied that Graham is a hold out.

Please acknowledge that at this moment Graham is not, and may never be, a hold out.

hold·out noun ˈhōld-ˌau̇t : a person who refuses to reach an agreement until certain terms are met : a person who holds out

: an act of holding out for something

: a person who continues to do or use something after others have stopped doing or using it

^^ LOL
Share 49ersWebzone