There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
i must be in a disagreement mode today,,, i actually hope we can target miller a bit this year,, i know everyone is drooling at these wide outs we have but miller was pretty valuable and a nice target out of the backfield when ck got in trouble and did not have vernon or boldin open. the blocking thing, no special teams ability and his age is the reason why i do not think lloyd will stay but i will say, if boldin keeps "competing" the way he has so far,, the hell with his size, youth and blocking and welcome to the roster miss lloyd

f**k,, meant to say jon baldwin,,49erallthe time has got me shook up today

Baldwin? That dude ain't gonna be on the team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What is vern asking for? Does anybody know?

It might be in our interest to renegotiate a longer term deal with vern that lowers his immediate cap. Could that be compatible with what he is asking for?

is it possible to find a solution here long term, that will benefit both parties while not making it look like either one caved in? i support vernon 1000 per cent here,,,,, if his holdout goes deep into pre season or threatens the regular season, then i will be of a different mindset
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:

you are probably right,,,, i have been rooting for him because i wanted something out of the jenkins deal to make us look good,, plus i like his size, blocking ability and youth over lloyd... despite what some people think, i am reasonable,,, miss lloyd kicked his ass in camp and if he can not beat out a 33 year old who has been out of the nfl for a year, he deserves to be among the first cuts of the year.. of course some people think we can turn him into a tight end and replace vernon that way but thats a whole other story for a different therapy session for myself
  • ethan
you are probably right,,,, i have been rooting for him because i wanted something out of the jenkins deal to make us look good,, plus i like his size, blocking ability and youth over lloyd... despite what some people think, i am reasonable,,, miss lloyd kicked his ass in camp and if he can not beat out a 33 year old who has been out of the nfl for a year, he deserves to be among the first cuts of the year.. of course some people think we can turn him into a tight end and replace vernon that way but thats a whole other story for a different therapy session for myself

Baldwin was hurt in camp, so I wouldn't say that Lloyd "kicked his ass".
Originally posted by SportsFan:

CC, you get to involved and attached to these players..and how can you say Lloyd beat out Baldwin when these camps don't mean anything?

And with the VD thing ..no one wants him gone..unless he gets even more stupid by holding out a little longer but that's another story. Some of us see this team as a great system right now.

You see it as the end of the world without VD, I think we survive even if the TE production goes down
Originally posted by NinerGM:
cciowa

Good points, but this passing offense pretty much based on decoy, drawing defenders away from the middle of the field and trying to get match-ups with other players. In essence the opposing defense has to believe the new threat (let's just say for hypotheticals VD holds out for 3 games) has to believe the replacement or the new formation (player) is a viable threat against 1-1 coverage. VD regularly beats LB so teams are forced to use a safety which lessens their effectiveness in covering out WRs. He may only have 3.5 catches a game, but the way this offense is designed - it regularly depends on him drawing away defenders from others. Ultimately I don't think an improved offense is dependent on Davis. If we're really talking about more 3-wide sets and options being used in the passing game, that's a Kapernick question; can he run a true spread offense and really make the next quantum leap in reading defenses and anticipating his targets/vision? That lessens the loss of a Davis and allows this team to truly transform the offense.

Great post. From my perspective, I just see it difficult for us to switch our identity on offense even with our bolstered WR core. I still think that we're going to be a running team first.
GM,, i also do not think the question is , can ck run a spread offense with multiple wide outs.. for the sake of not derailing the thread the real question lies in someone else,,, no names mention but his initials are greg roman

LOL - I know I'm really trying hard not to derail here ... but I think I read the last mini-camp report, Kap still isn't "seeing" the whole field.... okay okay ... back to Davis. I do agree that we may try to throw him a bone without caving in. I just don't think the organization can look as if they're even entertaining the possibility because it would so derail the talent on this team. Staely, Willis, Bowman (in a couple of years), Cowboy, Aldon (now), and Iupati could make a strong case that they're all underpaid.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I cannot predict the future.

Here are some numbers for Vernon Davis over the last three years.

he deserves a new contract plain and simple..cant name a TE I'd rather have
Originally posted by ilikecows699:

I agree, but to maintain the integrity of the FO's posture he needs to meet them halfway--that is, he needs to end the holdout, come to camp, and then they start the negotiations.

He already HAS a contract, one which was frontloaded, so now that its on the back end where he's being paid less, he's crying about it. He's still the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He already HAS a contract, one which was frontloaded, so now that its on the back end where he's being paid less, he's crying about it. He's still the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL.
i wonder what he did with all that money in the beginning..that he feels he is getting less now

Exactly. Not to mention his old rookie contract which paid him like a superstar, before playing an NFL down.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Exactly. Not to mention his old rookie contract which paid him like a superstar, before playing an NFL down.

Vernon Davis missed a three-day mandatory mini-camp.

Pretty clear that there is a dispute between Davis and team.

We do not very much about the dispute. We do not know the details of the discussions between Davis and the team.

The chances of getting any solid information about this contract dispute are slim and next to none.

We do not know the details or content of the dispute, primarily because we are not part of it.

Training camp begins in about 5 weeks. We do not know if he will be there or not.

My hunch is that we will have wait and see what does or does not happen.

Enjoy the ride.