There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis

Originally posted by cciowa:
who fills in for vernon, the all pro who is good for about 10 touchdowns a year? vance? wow he only had the number two spot last year because no one else was any good.. we can not be so arrogant as to think you can get rid of vernon and just plug someone in. we have never had to develop a tight end for years, i have no confidence in erik to do that, nor can we be so arrogant to think ck can just make vance a all pro. now vernon does not look as good as when he had walker? really,,, he had a great year last year and why am i even getting sucked into debating something as nonsensical as that? why is around here when people want certain players gone for whatever reason, gore and now vernon, they start blathering about how they are slipping. there is zero evidence to prove vernon is slipping,, even if there were, we go back to who replaces him.

Why is that your only comeback ...there are 29 other teams that can play with out an elite TE..including the 2013 SB champs
Vernon will be here in training camp. Too expensive for him not too. I do expect us to try and extend him in 2015 though. As to Boone...he is sure to get an offer from us but while he is out we will get good G play from our roster depth. Joe Looney? Problem is we won't do a deal until he reports. Right now neither player have leverage and we won't blink first
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Why is that your only comeback ...there are 29 other teams that can play with out an elite TE..including the 2013 SB champs

Especially with the WRs we have now. VD is a great player but we have ample receiving options now. We have great talent all around the ball on offense: QB WR OL RB. We will still score points
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,228
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Is anyone here really concerned about this situation? We have Vernon under contract for at least 2 seasons (3 if we can franchise him). He's trying to get more money by cashing in on a successful season, and he sees a much more well-rounded offense this year which will reduce his individual contribution.

This will only become a story if it lasts part way through TC... then we'd have to start integrating Vance more as our #1 and that would have significant impact. Right now, this is a total non-issue. Vernon remains a 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, type option in our offense with Gore, Boldin, and Crabtree being the other three. They all are very important to this offense, and Vernon specifically brings deep speed to the table. Anyone trying to discount or dismiss his contribution to this team is crazy. He's an elite TE and this financial problem will rectify itself eventually.

Nothing to see here folks, as Obi Wan said: "Move along, Move along"
Not me. The guy has been in this system for 3 years and knows it backwards and forwards. I bet if he misses all of TC (and I don't think that will happen) its good to get Vance more reps, and Vernon can step in - in the second regular season game (assuming he holds out until then) and probably not miss too much chemistry with Colin.

Like you said, with all the weapons we know have - he won't be the focal point of the offense anymore this year. He is still will be a very big part of the offense, but with all the other weapons currently here and practicing, we can afford to have him be rusty for a couple of weeks in the regular season games and not miss too much offensive production. By his 4th game back - that's the equivalent of training camp already and he will also not be so worn down - like he would have been if he attended TC -- he will be back to full speed.

Vernon needs all the work he can get....especially on chemistry with the QB
Actually I think Vance needs it more. Colin was fine hitting VD in his first start as an NFL quarterback in the Chicago bear game. Not disagreeing with you, but between the two I think Vance needs more reps with Colin than VD does. It would be nice if both were there to get reps, but this is the next best thing.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,228
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Vernon will be here in training camp. Too expensive for him not too. I do expect us to try and extend him in 2015 though. As to Boone...he is sure to get an offer from us but while he is out we will get good G play from our roster depth. Joe Looney? Problem is we won't do a deal until he reports. Right now neither player have leverage and we won't blink first

agree!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,228
Originally posted by cciowa:
who fills in for vernon, the all pro who is good for about 10 touchdowns a year? vance? wow he only had the number two spot last year because no one else was any good.. we can not be so arrogant as to think you can get rid of vernon and just plug someone in. we have never had to develop a tight end for years, i have no confidence in erik to do that, nor can we be so arrogant to think ck can just make vance a all pro. now vernon does not look as good as when he had walker? really,,, he had a great year last year and why am i even getting sucked into debating something as nonsensical as that? why is around here when people want certain players gone for whatever reason, gore and now vernon, they start blathering about how they are slipping. there is zero evidence to prove vernon is slipping,, even if there were, we go back to who replaces him.
I agree to a certain extent. Vance is no VD, I agree. But with all the other weapons - he does not need to be VD. With Patton and Ellington providing the outside speed, and Stevie providing the man press beater, if Vance has indeed progressed past last year's level -- that might be all we need to win games until VD comes back and we get a new extension done with him.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Actually I think Vance needs it more. Colin was fine hitting VD in his first start as an NFL quarterback in the Chicago bear game. Not disagreeing with you, but between the two I think Vance needs more reps with Colin than VD does. It would be nice if both were there to get reps, but this is the next best thing.

Of course Vance does, but right after that Chicago game VD went on low streak and blamed it on chemistry

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1451527-vernon-davis-three-ways-he-can-improve-his-chemistry-with-colin-kaepernick

Even if you do a search ...for VD and chemistry ...it's VD trying to develop chemistry with whoever is at QB. If VD worked on his route running and made it easier for the qb..then without a doubt he would be the best TE today
Dear Vernon Davis,

You don't deserve to be paid like a top WR because you are a TE. You are already the Top 3 highest paid TE in the world.


Deal with it...
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Dear Vernon Davis,

You don't deserve to be paid like a top WR because you are a TE. You are already the Top 3 highest paid TE in the world.


Deal with it...
If he expects to be paid like a top WR then I expect CK to stare him down on third downs and the red zone as opposed to Crab and Q. His can you justify being paid more than those guys when it was Boldin and not yourself that was voted team MVP. VD has to get better than Crab and Boldin before he seeks top WR pay. At least Jimmy Graham is the top target on his team. And Crabtree coming back from a fully torn Achilles should not have to tell VD to turn up in the NFCCG after a big hit either. It should be the other way around. VD is paid handsomely. He was paid upfront in a BIG way and he still has two years remaining! It is time for him to report by camp put up a great year then come to the table looking for a fat extension
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jun 22, 2014 at 10:12 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,228
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Of course Vance does, but right after that Chicago game VD went on low streak and blamed it on chemistry

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1451527-vernon-davis-three-ways-he-can-improve-his-chemistry-with-colin-kaepernick

Even if you do a search ...for VD and chemistry ...it's VD trying to develop chemistry with whoever is at QB. If VD worked on his route running and made it easier for the qb..then without a doubt he would be the best TE today

Chemistry is more important for receivers than Blockers, and VD is half blocking on most plays because we are a run first team. If he was on the green bay offense where they emphasize the TE as WR, I'd agree more with you. I just don't see it as a really big problem with chemistry between VD and Colin the way the other folks do.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,036
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by cciowa:
who fills in for vernon, the all pro who is good for about 10 touchdowns a year? vance? wow he only had the number two spot last year because no one else was any good.. we can not be so arrogant as to think you can get rid of vernon and just plug someone in. we have never had to develop a tight end for years, i have no confidence in erik to do that, nor can we be so arrogant to think ck can just make vance a all pro. now vernon does not look as good as when he had walker? really,,, he had a great year last year and why am i even getting sucked into debating something as nonsensical as that? why is around here when people want certain players gone for whatever reason, gore and now vernon, they start blathering about how they are slipping. there is zero evidence to prove vernon is slipping,, even if there were, we go back to who replaces him.

Why is that your only comeback ...there are 29 other teams that can play with out an elite TE..including the 2013 SB champs
we have seen how important vernon is to the offense and we have seen what he has done to the rest of the nfl when we play them. you are willing to get rid of that weapon and go with some guy who was barely a number two?who gives a s**t about what all other teams in the nfl does. with our team a big part of our success is a tight end like vernon and i am not willing to give that up unless he creates a real divide in the locker room, or his hold out runs deep into pre season then you probably have to cut bait and hope for the best. it is pure arrogance on a segment of our fan base, in my opinion, that we can just dump a weapon like him and we will not skip a beat. part of me wants to say ignorance but i do not want to make it personal. you can set up at nights worrying about what 29 other nfl teams do, why should we be like 20 other teams, while at the same time, taking a pretty big weapon out of our game. maybe you can tell me why in the last two weeks we are finding out all these things about vernon we never knew before from some fans
1 he is soft
2 he is scared of the other guys we brought in
3 he is scared he will not be targeted as much
4 he is out of shape
5 he is slipping and is not as good as he was
7 he was only good because walker was here(never get over that one)
8 he is a cancer
if he was all these things seems to me we would have heard about them last year during the season,,, or could it just be, some people are inventing and generating holes in his game and his status as a team mate because they have decided they hate vernon and as we have seen so many times on this board,, when people become loyal to their hatred of a player, it prevents them from being objective
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,036
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Why is that your only comeback ...there are 29 other teams that can play with out an elite TE..including the 2013 SB champs

Especially with the WRs we have now. VD is a great player but we have ample receiving options now. We have great talent all around the ball on offense: QB WR OL RB. We will still score points
got a hold out on the offense line and the line is still over rated in pass protection
no clue what you got in the run game behind gore and hunter, you got two kids you "hope will come along but they have zero nfl experience
at wide out, crabs is healthy, boldin is a year older, we have seen nothing from stevie due to his hammie who has also had some ball drop issues, you got two kids whose amount of nfl experience can be fit into a thimble.
ck is good but do you want him running around all day long in games to make up for the loss of vernon perhaps putting him at injury risk, you saw he was limited a bit last year when he hurt his foot
yes when you put it that way, by all means, we need to dump one of the few consistent threats we have had on offense over the years
Originally posted by cciowa:
we have seen how important vernon is to the offense and we have seen what he has done to the rest of the nfl when we play them. you are willing to get rid of that weapon and go with some guy who was barely a number two?who gives a s**t about what all other teams in the nfl does. with our team a big part of our success is a tight end like vernon and i am not willing to give that up unless he creates a real divide in the locker room, or his hold out runs deep into pre season then you probably have to cut bait and hope for the best. it is pure arrogance on a segment of our fan base, in my opinion, that we can just dump a weapon like him and we will not skip a beat. part of me wants to say ignorance but i do not want to make it personal. you can set up at nights worrying about what 29 other nfl teams do, why should we be like 20 other teams, while at the same time, taking a pretty big weapon out of our game. maybe you can tell me why in the last two weeks we are finding out all these things about vernon we never knew before from some fans
1 he is soft
2 he is scared of the other guys we brought in
3 he is scared he will not be targeted as much
4 he is out of shape
5 he is slipping and is not as good as he was
7 he was only good because walker was here(never get over that one)
8 he is a cancer
if he was all these things seems to me we would have heard about them last year during the season,,, or could it just be, some people are inventing and generating holes in his game and his status as a team mate because they have decided they hate vernon and as we have seen so many times on this board,, when people become loyal to their hatred of a player, it prevents them from being objective

I think VD has been extremely important to us primarily because we've had one of the NFLs weakest WR lineups. That should change this season and VD is still VD but the talent around him has increased significantly. We now have 4...I repeat 4 WRs that have 1000 seasons under their belts to complement VD. In addition I think we have real RB support for Frank with Hunter Latter and Hyde. VD ain't playing on a team where Boldin is the 1, he is the 2 and Bruce Miller is the 3. We have a really deep WR core this time as well as a great and deep backfield. I am expecting a very good offense with or without VD and it won't be because we sub in Vance for VD either. It will be because of a healthy Crab Stevie and Brandon Lloyd. Not to mention a sophomore QP and the rookie. And VD is coming back as well. Soon. Like by training camp. He ain't missing out on all that dough
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by cciowa:
who fills in for vernon, the all pro who is good for about 10 touchdowns a year? vance? wow he only had the number two spot last year because no one else was any good.. we can not be so arrogant as to think you can get rid of vernon and just plug someone in. we have never had to develop a tight end for years, i have no confidence in erik to do that, nor can we be so arrogant to think ck can just make vance a all pro. now vernon does not look as good as when he had walker? really,,, he had a great year last year and why am i even getting sucked into debating something as nonsensical as that? why is around here when people want certain players gone for whatever reason, gore and now vernon, they start blathering about how they are slipping. there is zero evidence to prove vernon is slipping,, even if there were, we go back to who replaces him.

Why is that your only comeback ...there are 29 other teams that can play with out an elite TE..including the 2013 SB champs
we have seen how important vernon is to the offense and we have seen what he has done to the rest of the nfl when we play them. you are willing to get rid of that weapon and go with some guy who was barely a number two?who gives a s**t about what all other teams in the nfl does. with our team a big part of our success is a tight end like vernon and i am not willing to give that up unless he creates a real divide in the locker room, or his hold out runs deep into pre season then you probably have to cut bait and hope for the best. it is pure arrogance on a segment of our fan base, in my opinion, that we can just dump a weapon like him and we will not skip a beat. part of me wants to say ignorance but i do not want to make it personal. you can set up at nights worrying about what 29 other nfl teams do, why should we be like 20 other teams, while at the same time, taking a pretty big weapon out of our game. maybe you can tell me why in the last two weeks we are finding out all these things about vernon we never knew before from some fans
1 he is soft
2 he is scared of the other guys we brought in
3 he is scared he will not be targeted as much
4 he is out of shape
5 he is slipping and is not as good as he was
7 he was only good because walker was here(never get over that one)
8 he is a cancer
if he was all these things seems to me we would have heard about them last year during the season,,, or could it just be, some people are inventing and generating holes in his game and his status as a team mate because they have decided they hate vernon and as we have seen so many times on this board,, when people become loyal to their hatred of a player, it prevents them from being objective

He is important to us, but stop acting this team will play like crap if he didn't play.

He only averages 3.25 catches a game..hardly a difference maker in our offense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,036
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
He is important to us, but stop acting this team will play like crap if he didn't play.

He only averages 3.25 catches a game..hardly a difference maker in our offense.

without him, we never would have beat the saints in the playoffs, if you did not have him last year while crabs was gone, ck was hurting with one foot we may not have made that incredible run, without him and his presence of mind to drag the foot for a touchdown, we may not have beat the panthers in the players,,, stop acting like this team and offense will not miss vernon big time if we do what you and a few others want to do on your witchhunt, your last statement that he not a difference maker with the double teams he draws, the mismatches he creates, the plays he makes, the blocking he does for our run game, is really illogical , nonsensical and void of proof and reason in my opinion