LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by buck:

kind of racist don't you think.

It was a link to a Vernon Davis Youtube video. And it's not racist. You folks don't know the meaning of the word.
from the Chronicle

Three days after Vernon Davis said he planned to attend this week's mandatory three-day minicamp, the 49ers tight end penned an article today that suggests he'll remain absent from the team's facility because he's holding out for a new contract

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/06/16/hold-on-now-vernon-davis-says-hes-holding-out/

from the Mercury News

Tight end Vernon Davis explained Monday that money is indeed why he's "holding out" from the 49ers, who will hold a mandatory minicamp Tuesday through Thursday.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/06/16/davis-on-his-money-driven-holdout-its-all-about-getting-paid-what-you-deserve/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

I hope these reporters are checking the facts.

If the article was written when he was skipping voluntary workouts, he could have been talking about that, and not speaking about the future.

If that is the case, the MMQB editors should have foreseen the coming confusion, and added a clarifying note to the article.

But, if I remember correctly, his statements about attending the mandatory mini-camp were not entirely definitive.

I remain confused.

"all about getting paid what you deserve"

so hes asking for a pay cut?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Exactly how I feel. It baffles me that people think we'll be just fine and dandy without Vernon. At this point Vance isn't going to be drawing double teams and creating huge mismatches the way Vernon does. Does it mean we can't win without Vernon? No. We're still a great team who could win and utilize all of our other weapons. But does Vernon make this team much better? Definitely. He's a huge piece to the success of this offense and how it functions because he's one of the biggest weapons in the league at tight end who demands attention from multiple defenders.

then they cherry pick a seattle game as proof vernon should now be traded for multiple picks. the theory of us not needing vernon because of all of these 4 wide out sets we are going to use is laughable. are we really going to do that? is roman capable of that? we need a elite tight end who can catch and block in the offense we run plus, as you said, create numerous mismatches for the opposition. there is no tight end other than vernon on our roster capable of that and to think you can discard him to the curb with no threat of consequences to our offense is illogical
Do we even have the cap space to extend him this year? I love Vernon. I am all for extending him, I know hes acting like a b***h. But I get what he is doing, trying to get paid... again.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

kind of racist don't you think.

It was a link to a Vernon Davis Youtube video. And it's not racist. You folks don't know the meaning of the word.

Lol at that last sentence.
He's got the Sherman complex going
[ Edited by Quest4six on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'm with cc on this. Let's wait a bit before going off the deep end. Didn't realize when Vernon signed he was the highest paid TE. Well he was worth it. But reneging on a contract is not the 49er way, and I don't see baalke doing much other than talking to Vernon, hearing him out and then doing what Baalke wants anyway...which I assume is having Vernon adhere to his contract. No point in speculating beyond this however, so let's sit tight and see what unfolds.

And I agree that baalke has got a value for each and everyone of the players on the team. They all seem to be valued appropriately. The time to redo Vernon's contract is NEXT yr, not this one. And nobody is going to upset baalke's fine line dispensing of the cap money. He is an ace at this, and Vernon is just going to have to live with that. FRankly, I am disappointed that he isn't. I love Vernon, but he was paid fairly at beginning of contract and now needs to live up to it. I sure don't want to see VD leave here, as he is a true all pro. Maybe a little less now, however, with this attitude.

I'm with you Pasodoc, I don't think the 49ers will be harmed much by playing chicken. He holds out, he'll miss his weekly paycheck. In my opinion he has such a rapport with Colin that he can come in - in week 2 of the regular season - and not miss too much of a beat with Kaepernick. Both he and Kaepernick have been in this offense for a good long time, and his role will be diminished anyway with Vance and Stevie now in the mix. I think Baalke can afford to wait him out. I think he is getting some bad advice from his agent or somebody close to him.
Davis doesn't want to be paid like a TE. He wants WR money. He's gone on record saying Graham should get paid like a WR and I think he's watching that arbitration very closely. So, yeah he's paid like a top five TE, which he is, but those guys are making 2-3 million less a year than a top 20 WR, which Davis thinks he is.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm with you Pasodoc, I don't think the 49ers will be harmed much by playing chicken. He holds out, he'll miss his weekly paycheck. In my opinion he has such a rapport with Colin that he can come in - in week 2 of the regular season - and not miss too much of a beat with Kaepernick. Both he and Kaepernick have been in this offense for a good long time, and his role will be diminished anyway with Vance and Stevie now in the mix. I think Baalke can afford to wait him out. I think he is getting some bad advice from his agent or somebody close to him.
i respectfully disagree with anyone who says vernons role will be diminished. why do you feel that? has his game declined? has he lost a step , like so many breathlessly say that about gore? vernon is a established elite multi tasking tight end and those two guys you said who are supposedly going to lead to vernons supposedly decreased role in the offense have shown zero ability to do that and to think they can in a few short weeks of practice, even if vernon holds out, is nonsensical in my opinion
So two years ago Davis signed the biggest contract a TE ever saw. Now he wants to renegotiate for the sake of his brand? I'll come back to that. His newest statement is he wants to be paid what he is worth. Awesome! Then let's tear up his current contract and sign him to a one year deal. Veteran minimum. No guaranteed money. Tons of incentives. He wants to get paid what he is worth then he can EARN every dollar of it. Will he sign that? Hell no! So he does not "want to get paid what he is worth". He just wants more money, there is a difference.

So why does he want more money? Because of this contract he signed selling percentages of his future earnings. A contract with a company outside of football, that is now affecting his football decisions. This shows me that means more to him than football does. Got it! Then leave football and go pursue a career as "a brand" elsewhere. I honestly do not want to see this piece of s**t clown in a 49ers uniform again.

We got $200k back from him already. With the extra cap space we will save from his holdout, who can we sign? Anyone hear word on Jerimichael Finley's recovery?
Originally posted by RDB4216:
So two years ago Davis signed the biggest contract a TE ever saw. Now he wants to renegotiate for the sake of his brand? I'll come back to that. His newest statement is he wants to be paid what he is worth. Awesome! Then let's tear up his current contract and sign him to a one year deal. Veteran minimum. No guaranteed money. Tons of incentives. He wants to get paid what he is worth then he can EARN every dollar of it. Will he sign that? Hell no! So he does not "want to get paid what he is worth". He just wants more money, there is a difference.

So why does he want more money? Because of this contract he signed selling percentages of his future earnings. A contract with a company outside of football, that is now affecting his football decisions. This shows me that means more to him than football does. Got it! Then leave football and go pursue a career as "a brand" elsewhere. I honestly do not want to see this piece of s**t clown in a 49ers uniform again.

We got $200k back from him already. With the extra cap space we will save from his holdout, who can we sign? Anyone hear word on Jerimichael Finley's recovery?

He's actually signed the biggest TE deal ever TWICE. He was the highest paid TE in the NFL AS A ROOKIE.

he's not going to get another dime from us.
Still getting top 5 money. He does block very well and catches TD's, but he doesn't have a ton of receptions or have a ton of reception yards. He is in the top third of the league in those categories. Add all that up and it means he isn't getting a raise this year. Sorry Vernon, but you just aren't due a new deal or more money.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
He's actually signed the biggest TE deal ever TWICE. He was the highest paid TE in the NFL AS A ROOKIE.

And that's the issue. He's already gone to the bank on a front-loaded contract that was the largest ever paid to a tight end. The issue is not how good he is. Any sane fan would have to agree that he's been fantastic. Right now, he's the third highest paid TE in the league. He's NOT a wide receiver and it doesn't matter what happens with Jimmy Graham. Davis is STILL not a wide receiver. At least Graham would have a point since he almost never has to block inside and usually plays the slot or out wide. The Niners have already been more than generous with V. Davis. They have other priorities right now. I don't expect them to do anything. And yes, his production IS going to fall off, but not because he's lost anything. It's because the receiving corps is now deeper than it has been the entire time Davis has been on the team.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
With the WR position being deep with proven guys now, he knows if he doesn't fight for his money now he's not going to be able to later. His numbers may fall a little this season so he won't have any leverage on trying to get more money later. Nonetheless, he's gonna have to play unless the niners cut him.which will not happen. So he misses training camp, its his loss. He won't be on the same page with the rest of the offense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
i respectfully disagree with anyone who says vernons role will be diminished. why do you feel that? has his game declined? has he lost a step , like so many breathlessly say that about gore? vernon is a established elite multi tasking tight end and those two guys you said who are supposedly going to lead to vernons supposedly decreased role in the offense have shown zero ability to do that and to think they can in a few short weeks of practice, even if vernon holds out, is nonsensical in my opinion

VD is a freak TE, no doubt about it. He can and does run a lot of WR routes. I can sympathize with his desire to be paid like a WR. However, the additions of Stevie and the continued productions of anquan and Crabs just make it seem common sense that his production will go down. These are *true* WR's. Blockers aren't really paid as much as pass receivers, and he does block and block well. He already is being paid top 3 at his position. WR'S don't block. If he was a WR, would he be a top WR with the numbers and production he has?

He was big part of our offense last year. That does not mean he'll be a big part of it This year.
Share 49ersWebzone