LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
trade his ass so we can re sign crabtree. crabs is better anyways and we got mcdonald. plus he disappears when we play the seahawks, he gets layed out by chancellor and he becomes a ghost the rest of the game.

lol. you do not trade someone unless you have someone just as good to fill his shoes. if you traded away the players and coaches who have pissed down their leg when we play seattle at times, we would not be able to field a team. still a non story unless he does not show up at stuff he is supposed to show up for.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
And how many players do well against that secondary? It's hard to do much when they hold every play. Meanwhile, Vernon has been the best tight end in the league when it comes to the playoffs. He has shown to be clutch and has had some Huge games. Even had a great game on the biggest stage in the Superbowl.

of course this the truth. had he not had the smarts to drag his foot on the score vs the panthers in the playoffs, we could have lost that game. lots of short sighted things being said in regards to vernon in my opinion
He is a good football player. I don't see how he is underpaid, though.
He also seems to be a pretentious jackass.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Jun 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
And how many players do well against that secondary? It's hard to do much when they hold every play. Meanwhile, Vernon has been the best tight end in the league when it comes to the playoffs. He has shown to be clutch and has had some Huge games. Even had a great game on the biggest stage in the Superbowl.

of course this the truth. had he not had the smarts to drag his foot on the score vs the panthers in the playoffs, we could have lost that game. lots of short sighted things being said in regards to vernon in my opinion

Most definitely. And he tore it up in the playoffs against the Saints and Giants in 2012 and the Falcons in 2013.

I don't get all the hate for Vernon. The guy has been a stud and the ultimate team player since 2008. People need to better understand his situation and why he wants to be extended now before his production goes down due to all the other weapons on this team.
modded.
[ Edited by boast on Jun 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
still a non story unless he does not show up at stuff he is supposed to show up for.

Well, we do have to see what happens tomorrow.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
He was the 6th pick and was the highest paid TE when he was drafted. He got an extension that made him the highest paid TE and is now the 3rd highest paid TE with two years left on his deal.

He musta taken a couple business classes and started hanging out with rich folk so now he thinks he knows what he's talking about. f**k him. He's being greedy and doesn't have the leverage. We can play without him. Boone has a legitimate gripe but not Vernon. Trade him or let him hold out. We got more important things to worry about than an already highly paid TE getting paid more.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Lol at Vernon thinking he is smarter than Baalke
In all seriousness though, I do want VD back at camp.
People talk about how Crabs is Kaeps security blanket, I think VD might be pretty close to the same thing. I think this is going to end up ugly for VD, but its a shame because the man can still play.

Any ideas on what he wants from his contract? I hope he isn't trying to be the top paid TE again...
I have no idea what he actually wants, but I agree with you that he is badly miscalculating the situation if he thinks Baalke is going to give him more money for playing his position. As a GM, Baalke has to look at the cost/benefit trade-off for the team when negotiating any contracts with players. There's no doubt that Vernon has a lot of value for the team, but if Baalke begins paying any player position at the top or beyond the payment curve for a particular position, then that has to be made up by lowering the investment in some other position(s). Because of the cap, a team can only afford to have a few elite level contracts to stay competitive over the long haul and even then, the elite level contracts need to still be below the top of the payment curve. So... is Vernon's production on the field worth more than he is paid - there's a very good argument to be made that it is. But... if Vernon wants to get paid at the top or beyond for his position, then for Baalke it becomes a question of whether or not it might just be better for the team to have Vernon play out his contract (two more years), draft a high round TE next year and let Vernon hit free agency at the end of his contract. You can't replace Vernon, but if you can get a drafted player that costs 10% the cost of keeping Vernon and getting 80% of the production, then that may be worth it if you can keep guys like Boone and Staley with the money saved by not paying Vernon top or beyond the curve for his position.

To me, it looks like the leverage is much more on Baalke not giving in if he doesn't want to - I don't know, maybe he does feel like Vernon is worth it. I suppose Vernon could not play well and that could give him something like leverage, but I doubt that's what he wants to do and it would be a dumb move in practical terms. Maybe he could force a trade somehow.

I sure hope this doesn't develop into a game of chicken centered around the prospect of winning a Super Bowl - with Vernon thinking that the 9ers can't go the whole way without him and daring the team to call him on it. He might be right, but his actions in making the case may screw up the chance of winning it no matter how the contract negotiations turn out.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Seems Vernon is having another "N*gga Moment".

kind of racist don't you think.

Go enjoy your Jamba Juice VD.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

Most definitely. And he tore it up in the playoffs against the Saints and Giants in 2012 and the Falcons in 2013.

I don't get all the hate for Vernon. The guy has been a stud and the ultimate team player since 2008. People need to better understand his situation and why he wants to be extended now before his production goes down due to all the other weapons on this team.
i am sure he could be a nice player but i have to chuckle at people who think we can just throw vance in and we do not miss a beat. do they really think vance can create the mismatches vernon does?
I'm with cc on this. Let's wait a bit before going off the deep end. Didn't realize when Vernon signed he was the highest paid TE. Well he was worth it. But reneging on a contract is not the 49er way, and I don't see baalke doing much other than talking to Vernon, hearing him out and then doing what Baalke wants anyway...which I assume is having Vernon adhere to his contract. No point in speculating beyond this however, so let's sit tight and see what unfolds.

And I agree that baalke has got a value for each and everyone of the players on the team. They all seem to be valued appropriately. The time to redo Vernon's contract is NEXT yr, not this one. And nobody is going to upset baalke's fine line dispensing of the cap money. He is an ace at this, and Vernon is just going to have to live with that. FRankly, I am disappointed that he isn't. I love Vernon, but he was paid fairly at beginning of contract and now needs to live up to it. I sure don't want to see VD leave here, as he is a true all pro. Maybe a little less now, however, with this attitude.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
still a non story unless he does not show up at stuff he is supposed to show up for.

Well, we do have to see what happens tomorrow.
and if he is a no show, i will adjust accordingly
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Vernon has a skill set that has value, but he is certainly not under paid. His value is his speed that enables him to get open and make big plays. His weakness is catching in traffic. As mentioned earlier when the 49ers play teams that hit him he vanishes. A large percentage of Kaepernicks interceptions occurred on passes to Vernon. Defensive players will play through him to get the ball and he does nothing to stop them. When he is open and the ball is between waist and shoulder height he is great. When he needs to adjust to the ball, especially in traffic not so good. One interception he was running his route had his hands just above waist height waiting for the ball to fall into his hands, while Sherman goes up over him and grabs it. On another near the goal line the ball is just below waist height and thee defensive player, who was in the end zone dives underneath and in front of him to get the ball.

The end result is a tight end that can stretch the defense, get an occasional deep ball, but not so good against hard hitting defenses and in traffic. His catch against NO in 2012 was an exception, not often repeated. Value yes, worth more than his contract no, especially not with the improved receiver core that the 49ers have this year.

i am sure he could be a nice player but i have to chuckle at people who think we can just throw vance in and we do not miss a beat. do they really think vance can create the mismatches vernon does?

Exactly how I feel. It baffles me that people think we'll be just fine and dandy without Vernon. At this point Vance isn't going to be drawing double teams and creating huge mismatches the way Vernon does. Does it mean we can't win without Vernon? No. We're still a great team who could win and utilize all of our other weapons. But does Vernon make this team much better? Definitely. He's a huge piece to the success of this offense and how it functions because he's one of the biggest weapons in the league at tight end who demands attention from multiple defenders.
Share 49ersWebzone