LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 198 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Vd should stfu and get out there with the rest of the team like he's being paid to do
  • buck
  • Veteran
from the Chronicle

Three days after Vernon Davis said he planned to attend this week's mandatory three-day minicamp, the 49ers tight end penned an article today that suggests he'll remain absent from the team's facility because he's holding out for a new contract

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/06/16/hold-on-now-vernon-davis-says-hes-holding-out/

from the Mercury News

Tight end Vernon Davis explained Monday that money is indeed why he's "holding out" from the 49ers, who will hold a mandatory minicamp Tuesday through Thursday.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/06/16/davis-on-his-money-driven-holdout-its-all-about-getting-paid-what-you-deserve/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

I hope these reporters are checking the facts.

If the article was written when he was skipping voluntary workouts, he could have been talking about that, and not speaking about the future.

If that is the case, the MMQB editors should have foreseen the coming confusion, and added a clarifying note to the article.

But, if I remember correctly, his statements about attending the mandatory mini-camp were not entirely definitive.

I remain confused.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM ]
"Frank Gore is the most consistent athlete in the NFL" -- Vernon Davis
When we play up in Seattle if he does doesn't get cracked one single time then he will have earned an extension
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Jun 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
He doesn't deserve an extension at this point. Look at what he got on the front end of what was the richest contract ever for a TE! He can say what he wants to say the bottom line is this is all about him and his money... he wants lots of it. The smart business decision here is to let it ride, if he continues to hold out and be a distraction get what you can for him and move on. He has 2 years left on his deal, no way they should extend him now.

IF he was being underpaid, was being a team player and was younger... then you can look at extended a guy, but you don't do it for a guy who is halfway through what was the richest contract ever at his position... in his 30's... threatening to hold out... saying it's all about "His brand".

"THE TEAM, THE TEAM, THE TEAM" - Jim Harbaugh.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Vernon Davis doubles down on contract holdout

For the last few weeks, Vernon Davis' holdout from 49ers practices couldn't have been described as a holdout. After all, the sessions he missed were voluntary, the only thing the tight end forfeited was a $200,000 signing bonus and he indicated he would attend the mandatory practices that begin Tuesday.

Davis added clarity and doubled down on his holdout efforts today in a column he penned for Sports Illustrated's MMQB. Davis, who led the 49ers with 13 touchdown catches in 2013, said he's outperforming the contract that made him the highest-paid tight end four years ago.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/16/6486991/vernon-davis-doubles-down-on-contract.html#storylink=cpy

Barrows seems to think Davis will indeed hold out, and I do trust Barrows.

If Barrows is right, Davis is both holding out and negotiating his contract in the mass media.

Yea buck nothing confusing at all. VD backtracked is what's going on. I mean VD wrote the article on MMQB article himself. That's right from the horses mouth
Originally posted by buck:
from the Chronicle

Three days after Vernon Davis said he planned to attend this week's mandatory three-day minicamp, the 49ers tight end penned an article today that suggests he'll remain absent from the team's facility because he's holding out for a new contract

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/06/16/hold-on-now-vernon-davis-says-hes-holding-out/

from the Mercury News

Tight end Vernon Davis explained Monday that money is indeed why he's "holding out" from the 49ers, who will hold a mandatory minicamp Tuesday through Thursday.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/06/16/davis-on-his-money-driven-holdout-its-all-about-getting-paid-what-you-deserve/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

I hope these reporters are checking the facts.

If the article was written when he was skipping voluntary workouts, he could have been talking about that, and not speaking about the future.

If that is the case, the MMQB editors should have foreseen the coming confusion, and added a clarifying note to the article.

But, if I remember correctly, his statements about attending the mandatory mini-camp were not entirely definitive.

I remain confused.
Yea buck nothing confusing at all. VD backtracked is what's going on. I mean VD wrote the article on MMQB article himself. That's right from the horses mouth.
I hate people who try and act smarter than they actually are, stick to football Vernon

Financial literacy is the biggest problem I see in NFL locker rooms

Anybody see the irony in this?
Kind of glad to see the Hawks aren't the only team with people who want to get paid. VD is a good player, great player. Considering he already had a record breaking contract to begin with, seems a little poor form IMO to ask more even if he's playing at an even higher level (they signed him to the contract with the intention that he would continue playing great or even better). I guess it just goes to show you don't matter what team you play on. If you're a great player and think you deserve more money, you're going to try and get it.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
I hate people who try and act smarter than they actually are, stick to football Vernon

Financial literacy is the biggest problem I see in NFL locker rooms

Anybody see the irony in this?

Yeah VD is an idiot...just watch some of his interviews and you'll see
[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Jun 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea buck nothing confusing at all. VD backtracked is what's going on. I mean VD wrote the article on MMQB article himself. That's right from the horses mouth.

OK. I do get confused easily.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fine hold out...that's terrific for developing McDonald and Carrier as the H-back!

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
luckily for us, we're going 3-4 wr sets way more often. won't need him as much.

Originally posted by D_Niner:
VD. You deserve to get paid the contract that you signed...
All of this!!!

I think VD is relapsing back into his me-first selfish mode that M. Sing yanked him out of. I don't know about other fans but I don't think winning the SB is as important to Vernon as it is to, say, Gore, CK, or Cowboy. He's signed through 2015 for crying out loud; I say HarBaalk should stand their ground and not try to extend him until next season, or think about franchising his but. We have more immediate priorities (Iupati and Crabs come to mind). Let his ass hold out, with two full seasons to play on his contract. When Vernon signed his five-year, $37 million contract extension (with $23 million guaranteed) even Vernon admitted that that was the highest a TE had ever gotten in the NFL. So in my mind he should honor that.

I get it, teams routinely don't honor the contracts they agree to, and frankly, I think something should be done about that. But unfortunately for Vernon, our offense is even more diverse and flexible this season. I can assure you that the passing game won't run through him like in years past. Not saying that Vernon isn't/wont be important, i guarantee you but a missing Vernon Davis won't determine our season. The beauty of how HarBaalk have built this team is that, outside of Kaep, no one player will dictate our wins and looses, or direction. Granted, V. McDonald is no Vernon Davis. But he IS talented, hence why he was drafted in the 2nd round. And I trust HarBaalk. VD holding out only gives V. McDonald opportunity to show why he was drafted so high.

On so many levels Vernon is lacking leverage. He'd be better served if he got into camp and play out his contract.
trade his ass so we can re sign crabtree. crabs is better anyways and we got mcdonald. plus he disappears when we play the seahawks, he gets layed out by chancellor and he becomes a ghost the rest of the game.
Lol at Vernon thinking he is smarter than Baalke
In all seriousness though, I do want VD back at camp.
People talk about how Crabs is Kaeps security blanket, I think VD might be pretty close to the same thing. I think this is going to end up ugly for VD, but its a shame because the man can still play.

Any ideas on what he wants from his contract? I hope he isn't trying to be the top paid TE again...
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
trade his ass so we can re sign crabtree. crabs is better anyways and we got mcdonald. plus he disappears when we play the seahawks, he gets layed out by chancellor and he becomes a ghost the rest of the game.

And how many players do well against that secondary? It's hard to do much when they hold every play. Meanwhile, Vernon has been the best tight end in the league when it comes to the playoffs. He has shown to be clutch and has had some Huge games. Even had a great game on the biggest stage in the Superbowl.
Share 49ersWebzone