LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 191 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agree. They don't seem to make a concerted effort to get him the ball, and I don't understand it.

Teams putting extra attention to stop him is no excuse. Everyone knows Romo is going to Witten, Ryan is going to Gonzalez...etc. You find ways to get them the ball regardless.
well atlanta has 2 #1 WRs in julio jones and white

agree about romo and witten

attention will now stop on VD and shifted on to crabtree ( some not all)

it will open him up more
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They got to work him the ball more. Just inexcusable. He's the most explosve weapon we have. Just makes me mad when we don't. And we have long stretche where we don't. Throw deep to Moss sometimes. That may open up things for Davis.

Agree. They don't seem to make a concerted effort to get him the ball, and I don't understand it.

Teams putting extra attention to stop him is no excuse. Everyone knows Romo is going to Witten, Ryan is going to Gonzalez...etc. You find ways to get them the ball regardless.

You got to get him the ball. I've seen him beat double teams for TD's lots of times. If we use Moss a little like we never do it may open some stuff up. Make people respect something else out there for once instead of all concetrating on Davis.
wait until we play a crumby team...
You could say the Niners lost this game in OT with a 1st and 10 at the rams 26, then the conservative play calling. The coaching staff has to know that Akers isn't automatic this season, keep trying to move the ball forward. Instead there was some bad conservative play calling and Akers missed yet again.

All that said, after taking a 21-17 lead the defense has to hold the fort, if they want to prove they are a great defense, a Super Bowl winning defense, they have to stop the Rams, and they did not, with help from our special teams being fooled by a fake for the second time.
What we need is QB that can throw the ball, not just passing for 200 yds per game, I'm pretty sure that Vernon is not the only one frustrated with the way the niners are playing....teams are making adjustments already ,cause they know niners run 60% and pass no more than 10 yds ....this wont takes farther from last year...just my thoughts...
Originally posted by susweel:
I agree

His talent is being wasted by a QB who cant get him the ball.

Ya like that one season where Vernon broke the record for most TDs in a season
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I agree

First, he tied Antonio Gates with 13 tds. Second, that record was then broken by Gronkowski with 17 (?).
Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
What we need is QB that can throw the ball, not just passing for 200 yds per game, I'm pretty sure that Vernon is not the only one frustrated with the way the niners are playing....teams are making adjustments already ,cause they know niners run 60% and pass no more than 10 yds ....this wont takes farther from last year...just my thoughts...

Whether you like it or not were not gonna have huge passing numbers under Jim Harbaugh. Andrew Luck didn't have huge yardage numbers in Stanford, Alex won't have a lot of yards either. Harbaugh runs a power running offense and our team is having a lot of success with it

And passing yards don't mean anything. Look at Carson Palmer
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
I agree

First, he tied Antonio Gates with 13 tds. Second, that record was then broken by Gronkowski with 17 (?).

I know that, what's your point?

That has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to say
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
I agree

I know that, what's your point?

That has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to say

Well, quite frankly, you said he broke the record. Just correcting your error. Point already made.

I was at the game.

I was watching to see if he gets open. NONE of the receivers where getting open.

I believe our receivers get open via scheme not by beating the guy in front of them.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
It is 90% play calling and coaching, if they are doing things to take him out of the game, do things to get him back in the game. Be creative, get the best offensive weapon the ball.
Originally posted by MontanaSBGod:
I was at the game.

I was watching to see if he gets open. NONE of the receivers where getting open.

I believe our receivers get open via scheme not by beating the guy in front of them.

This could NOT be emphasized more. Its quite surprising when you consider how much raw talent we have yet these guys can't beat simple press coverage and completely disappear against the more physical teams. It's sad. Then again, scheme could go a long ways to help them like it does on 1st down production. But when you watch how quickly other teams WR's fire off the LOS, the exotic routes, how they fight for the ball, gain huge separation, set a DB up, make highlight catches, etc. it shows how far away we are from a real WCO.
i think vernon is now officially on the endangered species list
I think he should be used more in the redzone, but can't complain crabtree has been steping up. I like to see a few post routes called a game for davis him and alex= money!
Share 49ersWebzone