LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SportsFan:
I think people are taking the "brand" comment the wrong way.

These were voluntary OTAs. Vernon had opportunities during this time to further his career outside of football. With his contract up in two years he needs to start thinking about life after football. And that involves cultivating those other endeavors.

So other players don't have to think about life after football? Sure it is voluntary, but everyone knows it is pretty much an unwritten rule that you go, unless you plan on possibly holding out.
Here's Vernon on the ESPN podcast. It's... special.

People got on me a while back when I said VD doesn't really have a... personality. I still stand by that opinion.

These were voluntary OTAs. Vernon had opportunities during this time to further his career outside of football. With his contract up in two years he needs to start thinking about life after football. And that involves cultivating those other endeavors.

What he should be doing right now is learning how to run pass routes so he can get open and catch the ball, like he is getting payed to do under his contract. Everybody was down on Brandon Lloyd because he was spending too much time on his rap music and not practicing football, but I don't see anybody saying anything about Davis working on his 3rd grade art instead of practicing football. You perform you will get an extension.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

People got on me a while back when I said VD doesn't really have a... personality. I still stand by that opinion.

Stop hating on Vernon. He's not special and he has a personality. Might be a little awkward in interviews, but a lot of guys are.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Would rather have the Brent Jones brand.

Yeah but he couldn't block the way vernon blocks.

Personally I don't think Vernon will hold out. It would hurt his stock price. What keeps stock prices up is dividend earnings. If Vernon holds out, his salary won't be paid and his stock price goes down and there goes his brand. Him not attending the voluntary work outs helps more than hurts, I think. It gives the younger players a chance for some reps, and as as long as Vernon keeps himself in shape he and Colin should have no problems in the regular season so long as he is there at training camp.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Stop hating on Vernon. He's not special and he has a personality. Might be a little awkward in interviews, but a lot of guys are.
and alot of guys and coaches were not at their best during some of those seattle losses .who cares about a personality. ck did not have much of a personality in media interviews and everyone on the zone loved him for that. lot of double standards around here for some players in my opinion

Well he lost out on a guaranteed $200,000 in the process lol.
I think more than anything he just wants a extension not a raise. He said he wants to retire a 49er, so why not restructure his contract so he can? SF can reduce his cap hit these next couple yrs to help resign Crabs and give Boone a little raise. The cap should be well over $150 million in the next couple years which would also help with Davis's added years.
Just saw that he is here in Utah. ON a ropes course in Park City.. sorry but this is making me dislike him more than I thought.

All his FB posts are about him being an Entrepreneur and all this s**t. Hes just a greedy f**k as far as I can tell.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think more than anything he just wants a extension not a raise. He said he wants to retire a 49er, so why not restructure his contract so he can? SF can reduce his cap hit these next couple yrs to help resign Crabs and give Boone a little raise. The cap should be well over $150 million in the next couple years which would also help with Davis's added years.

This is probably exactly what they'll do for him (if they do anything at all). It sounds like they've probably been aware of this for a while now and have worked the numbers. As a result, like with Bowman, extending him could provide some immediate cap relief to sign Crabtree and/or extend Boone. Boone is a top priority though b/c he can play both RG and T as needed and is a not oft-injured like Iupati and is probably a better G right now. Iupati is going to have to GREATLY improve his pass protection and take a very reasonable team-friendly deal to stay with us which is highly unlikely.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Just saw that he is here in Utah. ON a ropes course in Park City.. sorry but this is making me dislike him more than I thought.

All his FB posts are about him being an Entrepreneur and all this s**t. Hes just a greedy f**k as far as I can tell.

so many said the same thing about crabtree when he was a rookie and now its all about SIGN HIM NOW. I guess there are different sets of rules for vernon and for the other players on the team
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

and alot of guys and coaches were not at their best during some of those seattle losses .who cares about a personality. ck did not have much of a personality in media interviews and everyone on the zone loved him for that. lot of double standards around here for some players in my opinion

Yeah definitely. I just can't understand the hate. Vernon is the greatest tight end in 49ers history already and he could probably play another 10 years if he wanted to. Even Frank Gore gets hated on a lot by some people in the zone. It's sad

Vernon has been the ultimate team player since 2008 and has really been one of the best, if not the best tight end in the league since that time. People need to understand his position. He's 30 now, coming off of a 13 td season. The 49ers have a bunch of other weapons on offense and his production is likely to go down because of that. He doesn't want to get screwed over and be 32 years old coming off of 'ok' seasons. He just wants to be extended and remain a 49er for his career. Unfortunately people see him as the Devil now because of that. It might have not been the greatest timing for him and Boone to want new contracts, but I doubt Vernon is asking for anything ridiculous. I think it's more of a desire for an extension with his similar earnings. I'll admit, initially I was a little frustrated him wanting a new contract right at this moment, but I can understand it more now.
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is probably exactly what they'll do for him (if they do anything at all). It sounds like they've probably been aware of this for a while now and have worked the numbers. As a result, like with Bowman, extending him could provide some immediate cap relief to sign Crabtree and/or extend Boone. Boone is a top priority though b/c he can play both RG and T as needed and is a not oft-injured like Iupati and is probably a better G right now. Iupati is going to have to GREATLY improve his pass protection and take a very reasonable team-friendly deal to stay with us which is highly unlikely.

Yeah I think Iupati is as good as gone after this year and we have drafted for it. I could see Boone getting a raise based on durability and versatility. I would like VD to retire a 49er and I think the front office will work out something. Crabs will be tricky and I think he wants to test the FA market. I wrote in the Crabtree thread I feel his is worth the same deal that Garcon got....they both are around the same age, had injury problems, but produced when healthy and had a good QB. I believe he got a 5yr $42.5 million dollar deal with $13 million guaranteed and avg out to $8.5 a yr.

Yeah I think Iupati is as good as gone after this year and we have drafted for it. I could see Boone getting a raise based on durability and versatility. I would like VD to retire a 49er and I think the front office will work out something. Crabs will be tricky and I think he wants to test the FA market. I wrote in the Crabtree thread I feel his is worth the same deal that Garcon got....they both are around the same age, had injury problems, but produced when healthy and had a good QB. I believe he got a 5yr $42.5 million dollar deal with $13 million guaranteed and avg out to $8.5 a yr.

I think that is a very fair starting point (at least) and reference. Good find...with the cap hit around $6-7M.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 11, 2014 at 8:14 AM ]

I think that is a very fair starting point (at least) and reference. Good find...with the cap hit around $6-7M.

Thanks! I think it would be a fair deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Houston offers him a big deal and moves on from Johnson.
Share 49ersWebzone