LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by buck:
Who is taking Vernon Davis off the team?

Who wants Vernon Davis off the team?

No one is taking him off the team....but it seems we have some 9er fans that don't think it is a big deal.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you guys were talking about G-RO being the weak link, but his style got us well within reach of SBs

I think we do well with Vance taking over, he's not as good as VD right now..but at tight end we dont need him to be. We just need someone to find the hole make the catch and keep the chains moving.

Missing voluntary organized team activities hardly ranks as a major problem.

Has Vernon Davis done anything else to get people so riled up?

Again, I'll direct your attention to 49AllTheTime. I'm not that worried about it.
The Bay Area's own GOOSE the bulldog (& 49er faithful) is in Justin Timberlake's new music video for "Not A Bad Thing"! If his picture gets most likes, JT will surprise him next week. Please support the bay and like his picture! Thanks in advance! http://justintimberlake.com/news/2014/notabadlovestory-now-its-your-turn-to-play-cupid/

[ Edited by 49ersSC on Jun 8, 2014 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by kray28:
Could this team survive without Vernon Davis?

Maybe we can trade him for multiple draft picks?

jesus with this. he is not going anywhere. you get rid of him, you better have a plan to replace him with someone just as better
1. aldon gets in multiple problems,, keep him he is a good guy
2 cully gets in trouble, keep him he is a good guy
3 ck wants a new deal with more money, pay him
4 gore wanted a new deal with more money,, pay him
5 vernon who has been a model team mate and difference maker on the field may want a new deal or an extension, he mentions the world brand and all of a sudden he needs to be traded.
6 some of you are funny and sad at the same time

Veron is good, but he starting to bring back some old habits of me first and not the team.

Almost everyone is on board for the team...it's the team first..not Vernon

Are you serious? Even with him wanting a new contract he's clearly a team first player. How is he bringing back old habits? His only downfall was that he was too emotional and cocky on the field.

Have you listened to his interviews ?

He refuses to do OTAs for the better of his brand !!!!

He still runs lazy routes, he still runs the wrong routes, he still can't find an empty hole in the defense, he still gets alligator arms

Stuff that all can be worked on when you're with your team practicing

This exactly!! Working on his "Brand"....WTF? Translates to "working on getting more money even though he has 2 years left on his previously front end loaded contract". You're not fooling anyone with this "Brand" nonsense. He knows the Niner's are trying to lock up other players on their last year of a contract......not exactly a team player move....more of a 'it's all about me" move. Lost some respect for this guy......gotta say. 3rd highest paid TE in the league.....play out your contract Vernon, or sit at home and watch as the 49ers win #6 without you.....and see how that effects your "Brand".
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I'm not sure I agree with VD on this hold out stuff, but I read somewhere that he said he was promised a restructuring...so if he's holding out to force the 9ers to keep their promise, then I kinda understand it. You suggest it can be worked out while he's practising, but he might have been told they're not going to address it now so this is his reaction. If he's just simply doing it because he wants more money and it is all in his head, then that's a different story.

As far as the complaints, the dude is a top 3 TE. I'd take Gronk and Graham over him..that's it. Playing injured for part of the season he still put up 850 yards and 13 TDs.

Yeah, and he's the 3rd highest paid TE.....makes sense.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
VPo, by rights, a half way decent OC would show all those brite shiny new toys at WR , line them all up, and with crabs being doubled and somebody trying to do that to anquan also, it would be the perfect time to make Vernon the preferred target. Ah, what am I saying. We got roman as OC. No way he would even think of that. Then again, why should we expect him to...because he is a run play caller, and NOT an OC, even tho that is his unfortunate title. I sure hope JH is calling plays this yr because if roman is we won't even sniff the SB contest. Just an opinion
wont sniff a SB contest ?

of course the doc is right. i am very happy with all of our weapons and options we should be able to do on offense this year. But in the end will it really matter? will we really see a difference? will we really see less off tackle runs on first and second down, bringing up third and long where we will call a time out and then come and run off tackle again? no doc is right,, unless we find a way to incorporate our weapons into our base idea of ground and pound, try to get up by two scores in the 4th and then wear down the other team we will not sniff the super bowl... in regards to vernon, some of you who all of a sudden hate vernon and think he can be traded for "multiple picks" should know we will not sniff the super bowl without him
the last three years have already proven him wrong
ok fine. you take vernon off this team, replace him with whoever on our current roster and we are a lesser team, i do not think that is even up for debate.people want to keep aldon because he is a difference maker, who has made a mistake in key games, or sometimes plays the role of the invisible man for stretches in a game, you do the same for vernon in my opinion. if he gets to be a problem child in the locker room then you have a different conversation,, but he is not at that point nor has he been in the last three years.
you guys were talking about G-RO being the weak link, but his style got us well within reach of SBs

I think we do well with Vance taking over, he's not as good as VD right now..but at tight end we dont need him to be. We just need someone to find the hole make the catch and keep the chains moving.

Vance McDonald has barely shown he belongs on an NFL roster as a #1 TE, but sure let's just put him in and see what happens.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
VPo, by rights, a half way decent OC would show all those brite shiny new toys at WR , line them all up, and with crabs being doubled and somebody trying to do that to anquan also, it would be the perfect time to make Vernon the preferred target. Ah, what am I saying. We got roman as OC. No way he would even think of that. Then again, why should we expect him to...because he is a run play caller, and NOT an OC, even tho that is his unfortunate title. I sure hope JH is calling plays this yr because if roman is we won't even sniff the SB contest. Just an opinion
wont sniff a SB contest ?

of course the doc is right. i am very happy with all of our weapons and options we should be able to do on offense this year. But in the end will it really matter? will we really see a difference? will we really see less off tackle runs on first and second down, bringing up third and long where we will call a time out and then come and run off tackle again? no doc is right,, unless we find a way to incorporate our weapons into our base idea of ground and pound, try to get up by two scores in the 4th and then wear down the other team we will not sniff the super bowl... in regards to vernon, some of you who all of a sudden hate vernon and think he can be traded for "multiple picks" should know we will not sniff the super bowl without him
the last three years have already proven him wrong
ok fine. you take vernon off this team, replace him with whoever on our current roster and we are a lesser team, i do not think that is even up for debate.people want to keep aldon because he is a difference maker, who has made a mistake in key games, or sometimes plays the role of the invisible man for stretches in a game, you do the same for vernon in my opinion. if he gets to be a problem child in the locker room then you have a different conversation,, but he is not at that point nor has he been in the last three years.

Vance McDonald has barely shown he belongs on an NFL roster as a #1 TE, but sure let's just put him in and see what happens.

You act like he didn't play last year, add another year (this year) and we have something here.

Vernons trying to get his stock to climb..
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Vernon Davis is a nice guy. I like him.

But...

He really lacks charisma. His interviews come across as forced and awkward. This whole "my brand" thing is only adding fuel to the fire. It is not looking good right now for him. I don't know who is advising him on this crap, but he's got to figure this out for himself.

Vernon: People don't want to hear you talk about yourself as a "brand", it sounds very pretentious.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

But...

He really lacks charisma. His interviews come across as forced and awkward. This whole "my brand" thing is only adding fuel to the fire. It is not looking good right now for him. I don't know who is advising him on this crap, but he's got to figure this out for himself.

Vernon: People don't want to hear you talk about yourself as a "brand", it sounds very pretentious.

He could have just said that he has some other business to take care of, and is eager to get back to the team
Originally posted by BrianGO:

But...

Not everyone can be a polished speaker. What he's saying though makes sense. The time off is okayed by contract and he's taking advantage because one day, he's not going to have football to bring in the money. Touchdowns are enough charisma for the man. At least he has more to say to the media than Crabtree or Kaepernick.

He could have just said that he has some other business to take care of, and is eager to get back to the team

I like the fact that he is ambitious, but why doesn't he just DO IT.

Michael Jordan didn't TRY to hype himself up, he just DID IT. Same with Bo Jackson, they just DO the things they feel are right. Even Dennis Rodman, he just did things he thought people would pay attention to.

It's like putting the cart before the horse. You can "hype up" a stock, but it won't stay there. You can "hype up" a housing market, but it won't stay there.
"Hype" is not the foundation from which to build something, it is only temporary. Vernon Davis thinks he can jump start his future endeavors with hype. He is wrong, and he will learn the hard way.

If people haven't turned on him already, they soon will, and it will be hard to build back his "brand" once they do.
Originally posted by JW40NINER:
Not everyone can be a polished speaker. What he's saying though makes sense. The time off is okayed by contract and he's taking advantage because one day, he's not going to have football to bring in the money. Touchdowns are enough charisma for the man. At least he has more to say to the media than Crabtree or Kaepernick.

He has nothing of substance to say. Talking about yourself in the third person as a "brand" is not the way to go about building yourself up, or explaining a holdout.

He could just say, "At the time being, myself and my agent believe that holding out is a necessary business strategy to get the contract extension I wish to have, in order to finish my career as a 49er."

"It's good for my brand". WTF? NO Vernon, no, it is definitely NOT good for your brand. In fact, it is hurting your "brand".
Would rather have the Brent Jones brand.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Looks like he will be writing a guest column for MMQB coming up soon... Who wants to bet its about his "brand":

As is our usual custom, we'll have replacement "Monday Morning Quarterback" columnists for four of the next five weeks. San Francisco tight end Vernon Davis will write one, and Chicago coach Marc Trestman will write another to kick off our Canada Week festivities; Trestman, of course, coached the CFL's Montreal Alouettes for five years before taking over the Bears last year. Oakland first-round pick Khalil Mack is slated to write another one of the MMQBs, with Rich Eisen of NFL Network rounding out the fearsome foursome. Looking forward to reading what they've got to say.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/09/jay-cutler-marc-trestman-bears-locker-room-dr-z/6/
I think people are taking the "brand" comment the wrong way.

These were voluntary OTAs. Vernon had opportunities during this time to further his career outside of football. With his contract up in two years he needs to start thinking about life after football. And that involves cultivating those other endeavors.
Share 49ersWebzone