LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
just following him on instagram, I can almost guarantee this is more about extending the contract so he can retire a 49er. He's mentioned plenty of times that he wants to be a niner for the rest of his career

i just don't understand why he'd cough up 200k to do it

Almost everything I see him post on instagram is promotional stuff, nothing about being a 49er for life lol
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Trade him and Boone, we don't need either one! We have talent and depth, send them both to the Jags, or some other s**tty franchise and lot the greedy b*****ds rot!
not saying that at all.
Originally posted by swayze:
bc you can't put a price on a dream, especially when you're already rich as hell

Who says it's in the teams plans or best interest for him to retire a 49er? Remember what Coach Walsh said?
This thread is derailing...

Vernon is a top TE in the league, and he recognizes that with the addition of Johnson, Lloyd, and Ellington, plus a healthy Crabtree and Boldin, his total touches will probably go down. He may never have a statistical season like last year or 2009 again. Both of those years, he represented a significant portion of the offensive production. I don't see that happening anymore, and it's possible that Davis doesn't either. He'll want to cash in on last year's success and sign a 'finish your career here' type extension.

I highly doubt the Niners FO would allow Davis to go. He's such a talent and a leader on this team.

You'd still have to believe that the Niners FO wants to sign Kaep first though. Davis will get his money, but it could take awhile. I'm sure Davis is hoping Jimmy Graham can get the TE / WR gap closed on franchise tag $$.
Where is Davis' leverage?

Davis signed a five-year extension in 2010 that pays him an average annual salary of $7.35 million. Per spotrac.com, Davis' deal was front-loaded, and he is scheduled to earn $5.3 million this year in base salary and bonuses (including the $200,000 workout bonus). Next year he would earn a little over $4.98 million in base salary and bonuses

link

On many teams the TE is nothing more than the sixth offensive lineman. At $7.35 million Davis isn't underpaid. He's second only to Anthony Davis in salary and he's not better than Gronkowski and Graham. These guys are freaks at their position, but I'm sorry, if I'm Trent Balkie I'm not sweating this at all. The Niners already have to sign Kapernick and you know they're going to take care of him first, and then look at what Iupati and Crabtree are going to demand.

Does anyone think Davis is going to pass up those game checks? $200,000 means a lot to me and you, but to a guy making $7 million a season he's not sweating that money at all.

Davis and Alex Boone don't have a leg to stand on. They can be "unhappy" and it's nice to want, but get back to me when the games start meaning something.

If these clowns are missing games when the big checks are cut, then I'll pay attention. Right now, it means nothing.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Vernon is just picking the wrong time to do this. With Kap, Crabtree and Iupati looking for new deals, it's just going to be a big cluster f**k trying to get anything done.
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 30, 2014 at 1:38 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
dp
[ Edited by mayo49 on May 30, 2014 at 1:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Where is Davis' leverage?

Davis signed a five-year extension in 2010 that pays him an average annual salary of $7.35 million. Per spotrac.com, Davis' deal was front-loaded, and he is scheduled to earn $5.3 million this year in base salary and bonuses (including the $200,000 workout bonus). Next year he would earn a little over $4.98 million in base salary and bonuses

link

On many teams the TE is nothing more than the sixth offensive lineman. At $7.35 million Davis isn't underpaid. He's second only to Anthony Davis in salary and he's not better than Gronkowski and Graham. These guys are freaks at their position, but I'm sorry, if I'm Trent Balkie I'm not sweating this at all. The Niners already have to sign Kapernick and you know they're going to take care of him first, and then look at what Iupati and Crabtree are going to demand.

Does anyone think Davis is going to pass up those game checks? $200,000 means a lot to me and you, but to a guy making $7 million a season he's not sweating that money at all.

Davis and Alex Boone don't have a leg to stand on. They can be "unhappy" and it's nice to want, but get back to me when the games start meaning something.

If these clowns are missing games when the big checks are cut, then I'll pay attention. Right now, it means nothing.

agreed. but for the record i think its davis who makes it to the 10 year wall and not crabtree or iupati. theres no way davis isnt a niner til hes done, i see him only behind frank gore as far as leadership goes and hes a top performer, clutch receiver for us and a phenomenal blocker
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This thread is derailing...

Vernon is a top TE in the league, and he recognizes that with the addition of Johnson, Lloyd, and Ellington, plus a healthy Crabtree and Boldin, his total touches will probably go down. He may never have a statistical season like last year or 2009 again. Both of those years, he represented a significant portion of the offensive production. I don't see that happening anymore, and it's possible that Davis doesn't either. He'll want to cash in on last year's success and sign a 'finish your career here' type extension.

I highly doubt the Niners FO would allow Davis to go. He's such a talent and a leader on this team.

You'd still have to believe that the Niners FO wants to sign Kaep first though. Davis will get his money, but it could take awhile. I'm sure Davis is hoping Jimmy Graham can get the TE / WR gap closed on franchise tag $$.

I think Iupati is gone next year. Of course, Niners will sign Kaep...but I'm really hoping they'll also re-sign Crabtree. IMO those two guys have to be a priority. Then comes Alex Boone and Joe Staley. Both of these doods have outperformed their contracts by a good margin and should be rewarded. Both are signed for couple more years - so Niners hold the leverage and can give them extensions at a decent discount.

IMO - Vernon is not getting a new contract anytime soon. He has every right to ask for raise - I just don't think Niners can afford to give him a raise.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't know if this is necessarily true - do we need a big, fast, big sized deep threat/red zone WR? I think you may be looking for too much of the offense to come from one player. Sure it would be great to have that one dominant receiver who's talented enough to completely take over a game. As 49er fans, we're a little spoiled because most of us have seen two, possible 3 in our lifetime on this team (Clark, Rice, and Owens). Conversely, VD is not a big sized deep threat/red zone pass-catcher combo. He's fast, he's a mismatch for defenses, but does he have the talent to completely take over a game even when doubled in the hybrid model you've described? I haven't seen that from many receiving threats in the league - you're talking about rare players like Megatron, in his prime Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant (when he has his head on straight for the game), Roddy White at one time, and AJ Green. Those players are usually at the top of the draft or paid accordingly. I don't think VD is in their class as a receiver. When I look at all those teams they don't have the same talent in other key spots that we have. Their salary cap and talent are essentially dedicated to 3 or 4 players and you see that on the field. I very much believe this offense will survive without a super fast TE, who's speed is more straight line, than RAC and this is why when doubled, usually becomes nullified. IMHO that's the big difference between at TE and what you're looking for from a WR - route running, separation.

Now I'm not saying at all that VD isn't good and won't draw attention, I'm saying that if VD wants to paid as a primary receiving threat, you would expect him to consistently be an "8-men-in-the-box buster", your deep threat, and this is something at least I haven't seen consistently at all - and there have been many opportunities out of the 2TE, 1WR sets employed almost too often. I just believe there's a lot more to burning a defense that over-commits to stopping the run than a big, fast, runner who can take off at the snap. Separation, timing, elusiveness along with speed and able to beat the press/double-team. If a slightly slower, 6' player can do that down after down, then we're talkin!

VD is not a big sized deep threat/red zone receiver ? He is 6'3" 250 lbs. Admittedly, he is not Megatron and some of those wideouts that you mentioned, but Megatron is a $16 mil WR stud. That is hardly a fair comparison. But, I don't think you need to go the route of trading up your entire net worth to draft a guy like that. Let me give you an example, what about Alshon Jeffrey ? The guy was a 2nd rounder, drafted way behind AJ Jenkins if I may add. My idea of a strong receiving corps is 2 big sized dynamic duo like Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey, now that's what I call big sized deep threat/red zone WRs, that's just me. But, let's not digress here, short of a Marshall or Jeffrey, VD is ALL we got when it comes to deep threat/red zone. I have already mentioned his size and you have also talked about his speed. Sure, he might not run routes as well as Marshall, but he was never developed as a fully fledged WR. Having said all that, he still scored 13 TDs for us, can you believe that ?! Trust me, the opposing D respect Vernon, if even Richard Sherman can testify to Vernon's ability in the Top 100 Players ranking, then you know Vernon is legit. Once again, sure he ain't Brandon Marshall, but for now and for us, he kind of is before Baalke can finally draft us some decent receivers for a change.

Originally posted by xela510:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Trade him and Boone, we don't need either one! We have talent and depth, send them both to the Jags, or some other s**tty franchise and lot the greedy b*****ds rot!
not saying that at all.

Sorry, needed to rant! If VD wants to "retire a Niner" he doesn't need to hold out. I imagine he wants WR money, not going to happen, so then what? Don't even get me started on Boone, my favorite Niner, we sobered his ass up, gave him time to develop, and now this? See damn it my anger is coming back...
I love Vernon. But he's already one if the highest paid players on the team & the 3rd highest paid TE in the league. He's not Jimmy Graham, so I hope he's not seeking that kind if money.
He's feeling the pressure of his stock holders now. You're already top 3 in the league, ask again next year and we'll make it happen.
Without VD this team would probably go 8-8, maybe 9-7. He is a huge part of the offense so PAY THE MAN!
Whatever the thought process is here from Vernon and his agent, the fact is that he is not underpaid at this point. Given his total cap hit and average $$ per year I'd agree with those who think his contract value is right in line with the market. That said I'd love to see him sign an extension and retire as a 10 year wall 49er . . . but line forms after the guys with expiring contracts after 2014.

Wait your turn Vern . . . you've been well compensated to date.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 30, 2014 at 6:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone