LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pd24:
I wouldn't add anymore years to his deal. He will be 32 when the contract ends and I don't think we bring him back after that. Make a play against the Seahawks instead of getting knocked out by Cam all the time.

Yeah, shame on him for selling out and getting drilled by a SS with LB size. Screw that puss
Originally posted by luv49rs:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Typical American attitude. I sign a contract, and if I under-perform, not my problem, the contract will still be paid. However, if I over-perform, well, we need to renegotiate NOW!

how dare he demand to be paid what he's worth!

That's not the point. He signed a contract. If his production went down, does management go to him before the contract expired demanding money in return?
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
So, I just saw VD wants a new contract on the bottom line of NFL Network (watching Top 10 teams not to win title, and the lack of the 1987 49ers has infuriated me...), and then read Maiocco's article, and all I have to say is this:

WHY IS THIS A PROBLEM?!?!?!?!

We are getting around $6mil in cap relief from the Rogers release, and we still need some cap relief to get Kaep/Crabs resigned. Yes, Vernon has 10mil left total over two years, but he's been our best offensive weapon for the past few years and hasn't shown ANY deterioration. Now, ppl may go "he's 30yrs old, he's losing speed", all I can say is "when did he show a lack of production or speed?".

What the Niners need to do is extend VD and J. Smith (yes, he's getting older, but he deserves the money), giving them bigger contracts that have huge bonuses and back loaded, which will allow us to resign Kaep/Crabs and keep VD happy. We are getting a ridiculous increase of money from stadium, seat licensing, Santa Clara money, etc., so just pay the guy and keep our core of Kaep/Crabs/VD/Staley on offense, and Willis/Bowman/Reid/Smith on defense.

As for Boone, he needs to recognize the situation before demanding a contract extension. He's been great for us at RG, but for a team with a former 1st rounder w/experience in Harbaugh's system at OT/OG (J.Martin), three experienced OL who can play OG (Kilgore/Looney/Snyder), a rookie OC who can also play OG (M.Martin), and a rookie OG who is injured this season but was selected to possibly supplant Iupati (Thomas) next season, there's no way he has the leverage to demand a pay increase via hold-out.
J. Smith has at most two good years left. His contract expires in two years and he gets $6.9 and $6.4 million for each year left on his contract. If he doesn't demand a raise there is no reason to just hand the dude money.

Davis is slated to make $7.3 and $7.0 million for each of the two years left on the deal he signed in 2010. He is currently the second highest paid player on our roster. Don't really get why he is complaining.

If anyone deserves a new contract its Boone. He has been an excellent player for us and he is scheduled to make $2.5 and $1.7 million over the final two years of his current deal. He's young and is the future of our o-line.

We still have to sign both Kaepernick and Crabtree and dont have the space to extend a 30 year old tight end who still has two years left on his existing deal and is already among the highest paid at his position. They may not even extend him. If he plays out the final two years of his deal we can franchise him for a third season and not pay an outrageous amount for him since he already sets the bar for tight end salary. By then he would be 33 and, well, pretty old.
The thing that kills me about Vernon is that when he signed his contract a few years ago he was the number one paid tight end. And now today he's still the number three highest paid tight end which I think is more then fair. Next year he would have a better argument for a contract extension but not with two years left come on man.
  • thl408
If there's a 49er that wants to b***h about his contract and is completely justified in doing so, it's Joe Staley. He's 13th in APY, but playing at a top 3 level.

For every player that b***hes about being underpaid, there is a GM that must be commended for his work. Good job, Baalke.
All our players want new contracts when they know two vital players will be free agents next year. I know they want fair market value but c'mon win a Super Bowl first for god sake. This year is our year and it is not a time to get greedy.
Now I have loved having Vernon on the team and appreciate all he has done, but I feel he has been fairly compensated. If memory serves me his rookie contract made him the highest paid TE at the time and after his first three season he was sitting in that "bust" range. Hopefully this is more about added years as opposed to yearly salary cause I think he is slotted pretty well in the league.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Base Salary $4,700,000
Prorated Bonus $2,067,916
Roster Bonus $375,000
Workout Bonus $200,000
Cap Number $7,342,916

As it stands right now 2nd highest paid player on the roster.

Base Salary $4,350,000
Prorated Bonus $2,067,920
Roster Bonus $400,000
Workout Bonus $200,000
Cap Number $7,017,920

As it stands right now 5th highest paid player on the roster.

I dont think that his "holdout" is about a pay raise. Davis probably feels that he can play till he his 34 / 35 and wants to make sure that he retires a Niner and gets paid accordingly.

He will definitely stay with us the next 2 years and will play his heart out. Kind of a non-story to me at this point.
Hopefully he wants an extension and not some giant pay raise since he's not the best player on our roster.
He won't miss any TC so meh

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Whatever happened to honoring a signed contract? He still has 2 years on a contract he put his signature to, and which made him the highest paid TE, at the time. Anyone short of an imbecile knows that kind of title is temporary at best and that there will always be someone following, who will then make more. I love Vernon, but am truly sick that a signed contract seems to hold no water when push comes to shove, and a man's word (written or verbal) means nothing in the NFL.
You can't hold it against the player. Signed contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. Teams routinely cut players before their contracts are up. NFL front offices don't "honor" contracts, they cut a player the second their contracts become inconvenient. So many contracts are smoke and mirrors anyway, because all that matters is the guaranteed money.

I sort of I agree, though -- the fact that contracts aren't guaranteed is sort of frustrating as a fan, because it leads to a lot of messy situations. However, let's not pretend that players are evil money-sucking ghouls and that the front offices are honorable saints that share no part of the blame.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Base Salary $4,700,000
Roster Bonus $375,000
Workout Bonus $200,000
Cap Number $7,342,916

Base Salary $4,350,000
Roster Bonus $400,000
Workout Bonus $200,000
Cap Number $7,017,920

I dont think that his "holdout" is about a pay raise. Davis probably feels that he can play till he his 34 / 35 and wants to make sure that he retires a Niner and gets paid accordingly.

He will definitely stay with us the next 2 years and will play his heart out. Kind of a non-story to me at this point.

Completely agree. He doesn't want to be a 32-33 year old free agent. Probably just trying to add a few years to the deal while he is in his prime.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
f**k, not Vernon, too.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Base Salary $4,700,000
Roster Bonus $375,000
Workout Bonus $200,000
Cap Number $7,342,916

Base Salary $4,350,000
Roster Bonus $400,000
Workout Bonus $200,000
Cap Number $7,017,920

agreed.
Davis can play until he is 40 if he wants. He's the type of athlete that could do it. He's in the Terrell Owens mold of freakish ability and great work ethic.
Share 49ersWebzone