There are 187 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vernon Davis

It is too BAd the niners did not draft my draft crush Zach Ertz, then the Niners would have all of the leverage as they have VD's replacement. Hopefully Vance McDonald steps up.

I think the issue is VD's contract was front loaded, so it averages 7.35 million a year, (which makes him the #3 TE pay wise, but his salary is actually 5.9 this year.

He now is unhappy with the 5.9 million and wants one last pay day.

I say let him play out his contract, he will be 32 when it is done. Very few TE's not named Tony Gonzales perform beyond age 32. The front office needs to take a HARD stance with Boone and VD, one cannot set the precedent to re signing a player two years before contract expires.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by luv49rs:
how dare he demand to be paid what he's worth!

GTFO he's the third highest paid at his position. Which is what he's worth. Especially considering age

When top QBs are getting paid $20M a year - it is kind of obvious for top players at other position ask for more.

Not fall positions... the inevitable "market value" argument. It's a passing league as you know, even more so reinforced by favorable rule changes. Guaranteed - you will continue to see RB, FB and TE become even less of a priority and in much less demand as college talent and teams prefer WRs with TE's size, but maintaining a WR's speed, hands, and route running ability, along with a "stable" of RB (think cheaper) and ultimately traditional TEs will be merged into the HB role (FB-TE combo) if they haven't been already. Which means even more of a focus on securing and developing a really good QB.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
It is too BAd the niners did not draft my draft crush Zach Ertz, then the Niners would have all of the leverage as they have VD's replacement. Hopefully Vance McDonald steps up.

I think the issue is VD's contract was front loaded, so it averages 7.35 million a year, (which makes him the #3 TE pay wise, but his salary is actually 5.9 this year.

He now is unhappy with the 5.9 million and wants one last pay day.

I say let him play out his contract, he will be 32 when it is done. Very few TE's not named Tony Gonzales perform beyond age 32. The front office needs to take a HARD stance with Boone and VD, one cannot set the precedent to re signing a player two years before contract expires.

With Ertz we would have leverage? We would be in the same situation we are in with McDonald.
man people are already bashing Vernon and making s**t up about his value to this team.......same s**t these types of "fans" do with all our other players or ex-players.

Vernon is the second most important player to our offense, behind Kap. You do what ever to sign him.

People bring up Vernon's #s compared to Graham or Whitten or other TEs....when Vernon has f'n Greg Roman at OC.

he is in his prime right now... stays in great shape...mostly stays on the field...and is a great run and pass blocker.

if he were with another team and offense he would lighting it up even more. But he has been a team player for a while now.

man, I remember when that IDIOT Singletary chose not to let Vernon get the record for TDs, in the last game of the season against the Rams, when we had opportunities to do so.... just to try to keep Vernon humble... WHAT THE f**k THAT IDIOT s**t IS THAT???

we have held back his talents since he got with the team... he has had the potential to put up ridiculous #s every year (and still did so with inept offenses and coaching)...and should be a HOF TE.
[ Edited by Afrikan on May 29, 2014 at 11:57 AM ]
dp.
[ Edited by Afrikan on May 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
MIA at OTA mystery solved. I have no idea what his current salary is but he should be in the top 3 paid TEs at least.
He IS the 3rd highest behind gronk and witten.

He should be 1st.

Jimmy grahmn should b first.

Dude is just a big wideout. He's not a real tight end. Can't even block.

If he's a big WR, then judge him by WR standards .....

How many 1000 yard seasons?
How many catches relative to TE?
How many TDs caught relative to the WRs in the league?

I can see him basing this on TD - here are your TD leaders for 2013:

Jimmy Graham,16
Demaryius Thomas, 14
Vernon Davis, 13

#3 - Looks like he's being paid appropriately.

And here's my problem with how players understand football when they're paid this much .....
The games when Crabtree WASN'T on the field, Davis production went way, way, way down. I understand these guys want to get paid - however you don't get the production you want as a TE. When you go to another team you're not going to be to focus of the offense. I can see that as a WR, but let's be serious here - VD doesn't have WR hands. He's an awesome TE.

Numbers aren't fair to this argument. We're a run first team. And we don't have Brees. This offense is nonfunctional without him. He's the key to our offense. He provides the mismatch that other teams can't defend.

Of course it's a fair argument. Davis is comparing his salary to .... other TEs in the league and other WRs in the league. You can't convince me that players should get paid more for doing less simply because they're in a different offense. If you feel you can be more productive in another system, don't sign a long extension and go to a team that potentially will feature your skill set. Don't like your contract? Give back the money for the years you didn't play... It think that's pretty fair/simple.

That's the thing, he's not doing less. He's doing the same if not more. The jobs are just different.
AHH YOU MOTHERFU..........

Learn how to man up 1st Vs. Seattle instead of being a lil Hyna hiding for the rest of the game when we need ya before u ask for more mulla
Originally posted by susweel:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 43s By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis' desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.

I really hope he just wants a couple more years added. If he's looking at his salary this year instead of the aav from when he was signed to the extension that infuriates me. VD is a good-team guy though and recently put something on Instagram about loving the 49ers and wanting to stay home for the rest of his career. I think we'll figure it all out.
I hope Vernon retires a Niner. He keeps his body in incredible shape. If he wants to he could easily play into his late 30's like Tony Gonazlez.
Both these players will play well this season. VD and Boone. Depending on our finances maybe they are extended next offseason. They are both replaceable if not. Boone moreso than VD. Don't mind them looking for pay but we have to do what we do and we can't pay everyone. Guards are replaceable so long as you have a good C and good LT RT. We now have that. As to VD I love him and the fact he has turned things around but might we be going more to a spread offense or more 3 and 4 WR sets. We have to put our best players on the field and Q Crab and Stevie Johnson as individual players nearly approach VD in on field offensive output. Heck they might surpass him. Boldin did more than VD last year at the same pay VD is saying is not enough. There is no other VD in the NFL but as the league's highest paid TE and one that got a lot of money front loaded should not you be the cure for our red zone woes like a Tony Gonzalez? I love VD speed and field stretching abilities his blocking and his big play ability but he hasn't been the redzone weapon or the third down weapon I might desire from my security blanket TE. If VD improves here I might say bump up his pay. We all are looking for that red zone threat still as of yet. I also think Boldin can line up tight on some occasions while still being a good blocker and allowing us to feature Crab and Stevie and Lloyd or Ellison or Patton. To me this might still stress a defense almost like VD does in a different manner of course. VD is special but he isn't perfect and to pay him what we should be paying Crabtree would be ridiculous. Kap looked for Crab with the game on the line and not VD. That tells me something!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
I hope Vernon retires a Niner. He keeps his body in incredible shape. If he wants to he could easily play into his late 30's like Tony Gonazlez.
I think you're right. VD and Boone just want to be here. They're getting bad advice from their agents
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM ]
VD is a great player, but I can't believe this BS. Let him play out his contract and let him go or give him an extension. After two more years, he won't likely be as productive as he is now. If he is, they can franchise him in 2016. Time to start grooming his replacement.

The only people that should be upset about contracts are guys like Crabs, Kap, and Iupati. They are wayyyy underpaid for their playtime and how they have produced. So tired of seeing these guys skipping workouts for more moola, especially when it boils down to a couple million a year and they have tens of millions already.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Both these players will play well this season. VD and Boone. Depending on our finances maybe they are extended next offseason. They are both replaceable if not. Boone moreso than VD. Don't mind them looking for pay but we have to do what we do and we can't pay everyone. Guards are replaceable so long as you have a good C and good LT RT. We now have that. As to VD I love him and the fact he has turned things around but might we be going more to a spread offense or more 3 and 4 WR sets. We have to put our best players on the field and Q Crab and Stevie Johnson as individual players nearly approach VD in on field offensive output. Heck they might surpass him. Boldin did more than VD last year at the same pay VD is saying is not enough. There is no other VD in the NFL but as the league's highest paid TE and one that got a lot of money front loaded should not you be the cure for our red zone woes like a Tony Gonzalez? I love VD speed and field stretching abilities his blocking and his big play ability but he hasn't been the redzone weapon or the third down weapon I might desire from my security blanket TE. If VD improves here I might say bump up his pay. We all are looking for that red zone threat still as of yet. I also think Boldin can line up tight on some occasions while still being a good blocker and allowing us to feature Crab and Stevie and Lloyd or Ellison or Patton. To me this might still stress a defense almost like VD does in a different manner of course. VD is special but he isn't perfect and to pay him what we should be payi g Crabtree would be ridiculous. Kap looked for Crab with the game on the line and not VD. That tells me something!

and that's what exactly? It only tells me he saw single coverage and he took a shot.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Not too worried about this at the moment.

Sorry, but I am not going to panic or get mad.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
VD is a great player, but I can't believe this BS. Let him play out his contract and let him go or give him an extension. After two more years, he won't likely be as productive as he is now. If he is, they can franchise him in 2016. Time to start grooming his replacement.

The only people that should be upset about contracts are guys like Crabs, Kap, and Iupati. They are wayyyy underpaid for their playtime and how they have produced. So tired of seeing these guys skipping workouts for more moola, especially when it boils down to a couple million a year and they have tens of millions already.

It business. Mostly agent driven and the players are good. I think VD mostly just wanta more time on his deal along with a little bump in pay. Boone just wants more money period and he is underpaid by industry standards. These agents see the cap rising and they want to chip in but they also have to understand that they don't play QB either