There are 250 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I think he's being paid fairly. You can be sure that if he was under performing the team would ask him to sign a new contract or release him. Then again, he has protections in his contract if he gets hurt..so I am pretty much on board with the "you signed it, keep your word" point of view.

MM didn't say he had an issue with his value, he had an issue with his contract. Davis is going to be 32 at the end of his current deal, his speed and consequently his value will drop.

IMHO He's looking to get one last big signing bonus and make these next 2 years into a higher base salary, not necessarily a higher total value.

I think it is a prudent move. Sacrifice 200K in hopes of converting most of the next 2 years into a signing bonus on an extension that will likely be his last "big deal".

I totally get it. He can try...nothing wrong with asking, but he and his agent should have considered that before.
Davis and his value has gone down to the team since Kaep started. If it was still Alex Smith at QB I would say keep Davis and get rid of Crabtree, but now I would rather have Crabtree than Davis if it came down to it.

With that said I dont think much will come of this unless they cant sign Kaep to an extension this year and they front load a new 2 year extension with Davis using all of the cap space they have remaining this year.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
MIA at OTA mystery solved. I have no idea what his current salary is but he should be in the top 3 paid TEs at least.
He IS the 3rd highest behind gronk and witten.

He should be 1st.

Jimmy grahmn should b first.

Dude is just a big wideout. He's not a real tight end. Can't even block.

If he's a big WR, then judge him by WR standards .....

How many 1000 yard seasons?
How many catches relative to TE?
How many TDs caught relative to the WRs in the league?

I can see him basing this on TD - here are your TD leaders for 2013:

Jimmy Graham,16
Demaryius Thomas, 14
Vernon Davis, 13

#3 - Looks like he's being paid appropriately.

And here's my problem with how players understand football when they're paid this much .....
The games when Crabtree WASN'T on the field, Davis production went way, way, way down. I understand these guys want to get paid - however you don't get the production you want as a TE. When you go to another team you're not going to be to focus of the offense. I can see that as a WR, but let's be serious here - VD doesn't have WR hands. He's an awesome TE.

Numbers aren't fair to this argument. We're a run first team. And we don't have Brees. This offense is nonfunctional without him. He's the key to our offense. He provides the mismatch that other teams can't defend.
Originally posted by luv49rs:
how dare he demand to be paid what he's worth!

GTFO he's the third highest paid at his position. Which is what he's worth. Especially considering age
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Typical American attitude. I sign a contract, and if I under-perform, not my problem, the contract will still be paid. However, if I over-perform, well, we need to renegotiate NOW!

lol what? Teams can cut guys if they're under-performing at any time.

But, good for you if you never asked for a raise. But, don't it twisted. Ppl all over the World ask for raise. Messi and Ronaldo - top two players in soccer just got raises from their clubs while both were under contract for several more years. Lol
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by luv49rs:
how dare he demand to be paid what he's worth!

GTFO he's the third highest paid at his position. Which is what he's worth. Especially considering age

When top QBs are getting paid $20M a year - it is kind of obvious for top players at other position ask for more.
He is in the last year of his existing contract, yes? If so, then isn't it normal to want an extension? Pay him his bread, lock him up and move on baby!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 43s By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis' desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
This is a smart move. I think the 49ers were hoping to at lest have this season to know what they had with Vance McDonald before having to deal with Davis. Its a lot easier to ask for a new contract when your high drafted backup is still unproven.
It is too BAd the niners did not draft my draft crush Zach Ertz, then the Niners would have all of the leverage as they have VD's replacement. Hopefully Vance McDonald steps up.

I think the issue is VD's contract was front loaded, so it averages 7.35 million a year, (which makes him the #3 TE pay wise, but his salary is actually 5.9 this year.

He now is unhappy with the 5.9 million and wants one last pay day.

I say let him play out his contract, he will be 32 when it is done. Very few TE's not named Tony Gonzales perform beyond age 32. The front office needs to take a HARD stance with Boone and VD, one cannot set the precedent to re signing a player two years before contract expires.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
It is too BAd the niners did not draft my draft crush Zach Ertz, then the Niners would have all of the leverage as they have VD's replacement. Hopefully Vance McDonald steps up.

I think the issue is VD's contract was front loaded, so it averages 7.35 million a year, (which makes him the #3 TE pay wise, but his salary is actually 5.9 this year.

He now is unhappy with the 5.9 million and wants one last pay day.

I say let him play out his contract, he will be 32 when it is done. Very few TE's not named Tony Gonzales perform beyond age 32. The front office needs to take a HARD stance with Boone and VD, one cannot set the precedent to re signing a player two years before contract expires.

With Ertz we would have leverage? We would be in the same situation we are in with McDonald.
man people are already bashing Vernon and making s**t up about his value to this team.......same s**t these types of "fans" do with all our other players or ex-players.

Vernon is the second most important player to our offense, behind Kap. You do what ever to sign him.

People bring up Vernon's #s compared to Graham or Whitten or other TEs....when Vernon has f'n Greg Roman at OC.

he is in his prime right now... stays in great shape...mostly stays on the field...and is a great run and pass blocker.

if he were with another team and offense he would lighting it up even more. But he has been a team player for a while now.

man, I remember when that IDIOT Singletary chose not to let Vernon get the record for TDs, in the last game of the season against the Rams, when we had opportunities to do so.... just to try to keep Vernon humble... WHAT THE f**k THAT IDIOT s**t IS THAT???

we have held back his talents since he got with the team... he has had the potential to put up ridiculous #s every year (and still did so with inept offenses and coaching)...and should be a HOF TE.
[ Edited by Afrikan on May 29, 2014 at 11:57 AM ]
dp.
[ Edited by Afrikan on May 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
MIA at OTA mystery solved. I have no idea what his current salary is but he should be in the top 3 paid TEs at least.
He IS the 3rd highest behind gronk and witten.

He should be 1st.

Jimmy grahmn should b first.

Dude is just a big wideout. He's not a real tight end. Can't even block.

If he's a big WR, then judge him by WR standards .....

How many 1000 yard seasons?
How many catches relative to TE?
How many TDs caught relative to the WRs in the league?

I can see him basing this on TD - here are your TD leaders for 2013:

Jimmy Graham,16
Demaryius Thomas, 14
Vernon Davis, 13

#3 - Looks like he's being paid appropriately.

And here's my problem with how players understand football when they're paid this much .....
The games when Crabtree WASN'T on the field, Davis production went way, way, way down. I understand these guys want to get paid - however you don't get the production you want as a TE. When you go to another team you're not going to be to focus of the offense. I can see that as a WR, but let's be serious here - VD doesn't have WR hands. He's an awesome TE.

Numbers aren't fair to this argument. We're a run first team. And we don't have Brees. This offense is nonfunctional without him. He's the key to our offense. He provides the mismatch that other teams can't defend.

Of course it's a fair argument. Davis is comparing his salary to .... other TEs in the league and other WRs in the league. You can't convince me that players should get paid more for doing less simply because they're in a different offense. If you feel you can be more productive in another system, don't sign a long extension and go to a team that potentially will feature your skill set. Don't like your contract? Give back the money for the years you didn't play... It think that's pretty fair/simple.

That's the thing, he's not doing less. He's doing the same if not more. The jobs are just different.
AHH YOU MOTHERFU..........

Learn how to man up 1st Vs. Seattle instead of being a lil Hyna hiding for the rest of the game when we need ya before u ask for more mulla
Share 49ersWebzone