There are 250 users in the forums

What should Niners do/What do you prefer?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Adman
  • Veteran
At the end of the season, we all know there is an abundance of proven winning coaches out there who can bring success to our organization again.

Would you rather keep Singletary and the coaching staff intact for the sake of continuity or hire a safe choice in Holmgren, Shannahan, Cowher, etc?!

I think it's a tough call. And one that should be thought over thoroughly by the front office. In my opinion, I don't think you can go wrong either way. I would prefer a proven head coach with his own offensive approach like Shannahan or Holmgren, this way we get a coach and an OC.

But I would also understand and be perfectly content with sticking with Singletary and our coaching staff for continuity. I really like Singletary a lot. I think he's great.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
i dont think any of those 3 are safe choices, now a days no one is a safe choice for a HC in the NFL.
Lets change coach's every year, thats smart
  • the_woad
  • Info N/A
My vote was to keep Nowin for one more year so we had better options available in the head coach market.

I think it is prudent to time the firing of a below-average coach to when an above-average coach becomes available. There is no doubt in my mind that some of the best coaches in the NFL are (ironically) currently not coaching.

Schottenheimer
Shanahan
Holmgren
Gruden
Cowher
Martz
Billick

All but Schottenheimer have won superbowls, and Marty is no slouch.

But, we have Singletary now and we are married to him for a minimum three years. And frankly I think he is doing a good job. The only move I disagreed with him with was firing Martz.
[ Edited by the_woad on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I honestly don't think the Yorks want to spend top dollar for a high profile coach and staff. Look at who they have had since Mooch got canned. Erickson, Nolan, now Singletary. Every time I mention this no one comments, so I guess no one agrees with me? When Mooch got canned, I though it was because a big name was available, and then they brought in Erickson, a proven loser at the NFL level.
Originally posted by BobS:
I honestly don't think the Yorks want to spend top dollar for a high profile coach and staff. Look at who they have had since Mooch got canned. Erickson, Nolan, now Singletary. Every time I mention this no one comments, so I guess no one agrees with me? When Mooch got canned, I though it was because a big name was available, and then they brought in Erickson, a proven loser at the NFL level.

Yeah but if you remember at the time Erickson was hired it was out of the blue. Kind of like a buddy agreement between he and Donapuke. There were some descent coaches that interviewed for the job including Jim Mora and Brad childress. Childress pulled out early and returned to the Eagles. I actually felt we should have hired Green instead of Erickson but that is water under the bridge now. Singleatry will be given at least 3 years to get tothe playoffs with this team like it or not.

As 49ers fans we had been spoiled over the years with a dynamic offense that can score with anyone and I think alot of people don't like the change to a run first mentality. This coaching staff ahs been slow to recognize the strengths of the players on the offensive side of the ball and I don't think that was considered in the the change in offensive philosophy. Now we are switching to a more spread look to recognize Smith's strengths but that is something that needs to be installed in a full off season.

I would agree with giving this coaching staff the three years necessary to see what Singletary and this offensive coaching staff can do now that they know the strengths and weaknesses of the offensive players. If the offensive ineptness continues next season then its time for a change.
I have no doubt that in time we will be one of if not the best D in football, Sing needs to just get that O goin and were gonna be a damn good team!

So no to the HC change, maybe yes to another OC....
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Nov 21, 2009 at 11:29 AM ]
Invest in cloning technologies

Get DNA from:

Young or Montana
Rice
Derrick Deese and Jesse Sapolu
Ronnie Lott

how about we talk about winning. you are obviously shell shocked from so many coaches being fired. the nfl is about winning, not turning over the most coaches.
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
I'll take the chin. He fits the personnel that we have been bringing in here. I think jed's playoff guarantee could finally come true with him.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by E-49er:

Yeah but if you remember at the time Erickson was hired it was out of the blue. Kind of like a buddy agreement between he and Donapuke. There were some descent coaches that interviewed for the job including Jim Mora and Brad childress. Childress pulled out early and returned to the Eagles. I actually felt we should have hired Green instead of Erickson but that is water under the bridge now. Singleatry will be given at least 3 years to get tothe playoffs with this team like it or not.

As 49ers fans we had been spoiled over the years with a dynamic offense that can score with anyone and I think alot of people don't like the change to a run first mentality. This coaching staff ahs been slow to recognize the strengths of the players on the offensive side of the ball and I don't think that was considered in the the change in offensive philosophy. Now we are switching to a more spread look to recognize Smith's strengths but that is something that needs to be installed in a full off season.

I would agree with giving this coaching staff the three years necessary to see what Singletary and this offensive coaching staff can do now that they know the strengths and weaknesses of the offensive players. If the offensive ineptness continues next season then its time for a change.

Why did we fire Martz again?! I wanted to keep him. He had our offense scoring non stop. We got rid of him to go to a run first offense, now we realize that Martz really had the best offense for our strengths and we are going back to the spread!

Why Singletary! Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our team would be leaps and bounds better than it is now. Because we would have had that continuity that we all want so badly.

Suck it up Singletary and ask for Martz to come back! We have Crabtree now!

I may be wrong, but that seemed like an impulsive firing. Maybe it was the last straw or something but the way it was reported was that York (not known for showing a lot of emotion) flew off the handle at that debacle at the end of the first half against Tampa. The fact that they dredged up Erickson lends credence to the theory that the whole thing wasn't very well thought out. It really didn't matter. With the necessary blood-letting that followed the seasons after that (paying for the excesses of the 90s and the "brilliance" of non-football man capoligist Carmen Policy I doubt anyone could have succeeded. But what was criminal that the necessary surgery was done by someone as inept as Donahue. That was the guy that needed to be fired. When finally he was, it was too late. It didn't need to be as bad as it became.
I'd prefer to finish the season and stop hypothetically speaking about things that won't come to fruition.
Share 49ersWebzone