There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers Defense ranked #2 in the NFL

Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by matt49er:

big surprises for me
#44 TE V.Davis (makes me question this entire system how could VD be 44th?)

V. Davis is 14th. FO takes a look at the value of a player over the average of the player in that position. For example let's say your average TE should be able to get 5 yards on a pass across the middle. If VD gets 7 yards, his DVOA will be higher, if he gets 3 yards it will be lower.

The number one TE according to FO is Dwight Clark. He's got 78 passes thrown his way (for comparison VD has 71), and has 768 yards (VD has 493). Dwight Clark is obviously way above average and doing much more with the same number of passes his way. The other thing hurting VD's value in the FO system is his completion rate. He only catches 63% of the balls thrown his way. Dwight Clark catches 82% (which is another reason why Clark is the number one TE in the Football Outsider rankings).

Do you mean, Dallas Clark?
Originally posted by Gelder:

big surprises for me

V. Davis is 14th. FO takes a look at the value of a player over the average of the player in that position. For example let's say your average TE should be able to get 5 yards on a pass across the middle. If VD gets 7 yards, his DVOA will be higher, if he gets 3 yards it will be lower.

The number one TE according to FO is Dwight Clark. He's got 78 passes thrown his way (for comparison VD has 71), and has 768 yards (VD has 493). Dwight Clark is obviously way above average and doing much more with the same number of passes his way. The other thing hurting VD's value in the FO system is his completion rate. He only catches 63% of the balls thrown his way. Dwight Clark catches 82% (which is another reason why Clark is the number one TE in the Football Outsider rankings).

Wow. I read that whole thing and didn't even catch that.
IMO, I believe that this D will step up, swarm and tackle at the point of impact. If you take a look at the Bears game, shoddy tackling especially by Goldson. We play the run well and that won't change.

On the pass side of things, we actual do well as long as we tackle as Clements will attest when we don't. We stay in front, swarm to the ball and frickin' tackle like your life depended on it, we will come away with a win.

Just on a side note...how can peeps not be jazzed at FIVE, FIVE, FIVE awesome picks!

[ Edited by ninertico on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:36 AM ]
Originally posted by backontop:
that has to be the run defense only because our pass defense is amongst the worse in the NFL

Unadjusted, our raw numbers give us a below average pass defense, maybe 15-20 range. Adjusted for the other teams offense, it goes up to #8. From what I saw, it was the biggest difference between adjusted and unadjusted passing efficiency on defense for any team in the league.

Basically, we have only looked bad on passing defense because we have played some very good passing offenses. We have fared better against them than other teams have.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Gelder:

big surprises for me

Hah. I watched the America's Game DVDs of the 1981 and 1984 Superbowls yesterday, then posted this at midnight.

No wonder I got it all mixed up.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by nannite:
that has to be the run defense only because our pass defense is amongst the worse in the NFL

Unadjusted, our raw numbers give us a below average pass defense, maybe 15-20 range. Adjusted for the other teams offense, it goes up to #8. From what I saw, it was the biggest difference between adjusted and unadjusted passing efficiency on defense for any team in the league.

Basically, we have only looked bad on passing defense because we have played some very good passing offenses. We have fared better against them than other teams have.

We've played some excellent passing teams this year. Kurt Warner, Brett Favre (I can't stand him but he's having one of his best years ever), Peyton Manning. Even Chicago is ranked number 10 in passing offense.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nannite:

We've played some excellent passing teams this year. Kurt Warner, Brett Favre (I can't stand him but he's having one of his best years ever), Peyton Manning. Even Chicago is ranked number 10 in passing offense.

Not only that but teams can't run against us so they have no choice but to pass.
This would vindicate J. Smith's statement that we would have a top five defense. It also testifies that Manusky has done a good job with the players given him. It also testifies that the defense will keep us in most games and give us a punchers chance at winning every game. So good job. Now all we have to do is resign Franklin and get a pass rushing OLB, safety and CB depth to maintain our defense. A good offense would also help keep them fresh as well.
in the mid 90s our defense was SOLID and highly ranked and numerous times at #1 but when it counted most in the playoffs we couldn't stop brett favre from lightin' us up...
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
This defense is a safety and an legit OLB away from perennially being ranked #1 imo.

Our run d is stout. If we could get to the QB a little more our pass d would be just as stout. Our O needs to do it's part, then teams better look the f**k out.

Maybe playing Ahmad Brooks(more) and Reggie Smith(if healthy) would help?

I would like to see that, but unfortunately it would have to due to injuries or if our season goes in the tank. I don't want that to happen, but if it does we will need to know what we already have for the future at those positions.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM ]