LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

49ers Defense ranked #2 in the NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by backontop:
that has to be the run defense only because our pass defense is amongst the worse in the NFL

The pass defense is #8. Before the Bears game the defense was ranked #7.

Follow the link and take a few minutes to read what their stats are all about. They put far more into their stats than the folks who go to espn.com and look at those stats.

I really like the way FO does their stats because it takes into consideration everything. Sure teams might put up a lot of yards against us but we do pretty well at keeping them out of the endzone.

Perfect example of this is the Bears game and the Colts game. Both QBs had over 300 yards passing, but we kept both of them out of the end zone. The 300 yards given up would indicate a poor passing team, but the no TDs tells the true story.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
They are ranked #1 in my heart.

You must have missed the ATL game.....J/K
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
This defense is a safety and an legit OLB away from perennially being ranked #1 imo.

Our run d is stout. If we could get to the QB a little more our pass d would be just as stout. Our O needs to do it's part, then teams better look the f**k out.

good post, i completely agree! 2 players on D, 3 OL and MAYBE a QB if Smith doesn't prove himself the rest of this year. With our cap situation and draft picks I really feel like the 9ers can accomplish this as well as extending key players like Willis/Davis/Gore/Franklin this offseason. I'm really excited about the future of this team.
Can you imagine what this D could do with a legit pass rusher??
  • g0t0
  • Veteran

this
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I don't know what those stats mean on footballoutsiders and I don't care

But we're playing good football on the defense.
Originally posted by danimal:
If anyone here actually thinks professional bettors are walking around thinking of the SF 49ers as a #2 Defenses type of team.......you must be on 40 yr old crack that has gone bad.

so there's 40 yr old crack thats good?
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by danimal:
If anyone here actually thinks professional bettors are walking around thinking of the SF 49ers as a #2 Defenses type of team.......you must be on 40 yr old crack that has gone bad.

so there's 40 yr old crack thats good?

yea but if you take that you will think our offense is ranked #2
player rankings
#1 ILB P.Willis
#1 DE J.Smith
#11 ILB T.Spikes (best combo in the NFL!)
#17 CB N.Clements
#2 P A.Lee

big surprises for me
#44 TE V.Davis (makes me question this entire system how could VD be 44th?)
#12 DT A.Franklin (surprises me it's this low)
#11 F.Gore RB (surprises me this low)
#59 T.Brown CB
#60 S.Spencer CB- thought he would be much higher
unranked D.Goldston S
#7 ST S.Mckillop
This defense is a safety and an legit OLB away from perennially being ranked #1 imo.

Our run d is stout. If we could get to the QB a little more our pass d would be just as stout. Our O needs to do it's part, then teams better look the f**k out.

Maybe playing Ahmad Brooks(more) and Reggie Smith(if healthy) would help?

Wowowowwwoow thats my line, bruh.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by matt49er:

big surprises for me
#44 TE V.Davis (makes me question this entire system how could VD be 44th?)

V. Davis is 14th. FO takes a look at the value of a player over the average of the player in that position. For example let's say your average TE should be able to get 5 yards on a pass across the middle. If VD gets 7 yards, his DVOA will be higher, if he gets 3 yards it will be lower.

The number one TE according to FO is Dwight Clark. He's got 78 passes thrown his way (for comparison VD has 71), and has 768 yards (VD has 493). Dwight Clark is obviously way above average and doing much more with the same number of passes his way. The other thing hurting VD's value in the FO system is his completion rate. He only catches 63% of the balls thrown his way. Dwight Clark catches 82% (which is another reason why Clark is the number one TE in the Football Outsider rankings).
Originally posted by matt49er:

good post, i completely agree! 2 players on D, 3 OL and MAYBE a QB if Smith doesn't prove himself the rest of this year. With our cap situation and draft picks I really feel like the 9ers can accomplish this as well as extending key players like Willis/Davis/Gore/Franklin this offseason. I'm really excited about the future of this team.

Yes. And if I might suggest, a kr, a genuine backup for Frank Gore and a little more depth on the line. Depending on Smith's performance for the rest of the year, I have to say that only the tackle and the pass rush should present any problems. Next year might be rather interesting!
  • Mex49
Well, we are 4-5 and in second place in our division so who gives a f**k

Completely agree.
Share 49ersWebzone