There are 151 users in the forums

4-3?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=52070

I really do like the way our 3-4 has played this year, but the writer does make some good points about our lack of pass rush from our outside linebackers. I'd love to see McDonald line up at end in the 4-3 and watch him kick some butt. It would be nice to see it used at times as a pass defense. I think Smith would be effective too at end in a 4-3. Balmer and Franklin would be studs in the middle.
In Madden, I like to run Punt Block Man sometimes.

Every WR is covered, everyone else just blitzes, and I control the Punt Returner to act like a safety. The QB usually only has about a second to throw. It works most of the time, catches the other guy off guard.

I say we try that.
this again
the team does seem like it would do well in a 4-3, but I think this is better discussed in the offseason. I dont see them changing now, but it does seem like it would put the teams best pass rushes (mcdonald, smith, uh.....) in a better position to succeed.
Aren't we one of the best rush defenses in the league? Like 2nd?

I say stick with the 3-4, and get some better pass rushers in the draft.
[ Edited by YourHuckleberry on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM ]
No thanks. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
In Madden, I like to run Punt Block Man sometimes.

Every WR is covered, everyone else just blitzes, and I control the Punt Returner to act like a safety. The QB usually only has about a second to throw. It works most of the time, catches the other guy off guard.

I say we try that.

+1

this, not 2nd but third in the NFL rush defense
[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:14 PM ]
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

yea but we are like 30th in pass defenst. Our defense gives up 300+ yards to pretty much every QB we play. Even Cutler threw for over 300 yards with his 5 INT's
Originally posted by backontop:

yea but we are like 30th in pass defenst. Our defense gives up 300+ yards to pretty much every QB we play. Even Cutler threw for over 300 yards with his 5 INT's

That's what happens when teams can't run, they pass. That's why we need to sign and/or draft pass rushers.

That's what happens when teams can't run, they pass. That's why we need to sign and/or draft pass rushers.

would be so much nicer if someone already on the team stepped up!
this again
I really don't remember the 4-3 being talked about a lot. Sorry.
Originally posted by stevenking57:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=52070

I really do like the way our 3-4 has played this year, but the writer does make some good points about our lack of pass rush from our outside linebackers. I'd love to see McDonald line up at end in the 4-3 and watch him kick some butt. It would be nice to see it used at times as a pass defense. I think Smith would be effective too at end in a 4-3. Balmer and Franklin would be studs in the middle.

Really? We're listening to Kevin Lynch now? Sometimes I really wonder if he lurks NinerTalk for article ideas.

I love this comment from user "bucknasty" the best (I wish I could credit myself on this):

Quote:
This article is terrible. It seems like Kevin is either rehashing old news with a new misguided angle or just writing about nonsensical issues such as switching to a 4-3 defense when the defense is actually playing well. Writing about the 9ers must be a part time gig and definitely not an everyday job for you. With all these spelling errors I'm starting to think journalism might be a part time gig too. Also, one last note, change your head shot. You look like a creepy Robin Williams.

This issue comes up every other week it seems. If you want reasons not to switch, I recommending the following reading material:

Moving back to 4-3? (Nov. 3)

Is it time to go to a 4-3 D? (Oct. 27)

3-4 or 4-3 (Aug. 24)
[ Edited by redrathman on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:31 PM ]

would be so much nicer if someone already on the team stepped up!

Agreed, but I doubt anyone on the team is gonna turn into an impact pass rusher overnight.
Originally posted by stevenking57:
this again
I really don't remember the 4-3 being talked about a lot. Sorry.

this is the 3rd time this season that the "lets switch to the 4-3" has been brought up
Share 49ersWebzone