LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

A. Franklin to be franchised?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When is the last time we seriously discussed using the franchise tag on a player? It almost feels like we're talking about another team.
I see little risk in placing the franchise tag on Franklin. If another team signs him we get compensated with two first rd picks. If Franklin starts playing mediocre next season it won't hurt too much because a Franchise contract is for one year only. We don't have any other players headed to free agency worthy of the Franchise tag so might as well use it on Franklin.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Though his play elevated, i dont think he can get better then this.

We need a big and true NT

The guy is a big and true NT. He has been called one of the top 5 tackles in the game by multiple sources. Have you not seen his play this year?

The NT position is finally one of the ones that we do not have to worry about so much anymore. Maybe drafting a guy to back him up and develop, but not in the early rounds. The D line is pretty damn good as it is. This team needs to focus on the offensive line.

lol, too funny

Last year the zone was screaming for his head. Now surprisingly he's playing very well in a contract year running towards the sidelines.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nflguy49:
I see little risk in placing the franchise tag on Franklin. If another team signs him we get compensated with two first rd picks. If Franklin starts playing mediocre next season it won't hurt too much because a Franchise contract is for one year only. We don't have any other players headed to free agency worthy of the Franchise tag so might as well use it on Franklin.

Frankly, if Manusky gets a HC gig, I would not be surprised to see us reverting back to the 4-3 defense, and allowing Franklin to test free agency in 2011.

The guy is a big and true NT. He has been called one of the top 5 tackles in the game by multiple sources. Have you not seen his play this year?

The NT position is finally one of the ones that we do not have to worry about so much anymore. Maybe drafting a guy to back him up and develop, but not in the early rounds. The D line is pretty damn good as it is. This team needs to focus on the offensive line.

lol, too funny

Last year the zone was screaming for his head. Now surprisingly he's playing very well in a contract year running towards the sidelines.

I will agree with you on that. Zoners are pretty fickle for the most part but if anyone was paying attention to him last year after Singletary took over, and simplified the D, Franklin was doing almost as well as he is now. He is a big reason that the D started playing so well as a unit in the second half of the season.

Admittedly, I said we needed to find a NT up until Nolan was fired, but I definitely saw improvement when Singletary got the job. That also goes for the defense as a whole as far as improvement goes.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Frankly, if Manusky gets a HC gig, I would not be surprised to see us reverting back to the 4-3 defense, and allowing Franklin to test free agency in 2011.

Manusky might one day leave for a HC job but that won't happen this offseason. The few teams making moves will likely target coaches like Holmgren,Shanahan, or Cowher.

This. Good post.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike9er:
I'm just scared that once he gets paid he will not play like he is playing this year.

That's the beauty of the franchise tag being only a one year commitment.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I'm just scared that once he gets paid he will not play like he is playing this year.

I can't recall if there is a limit to how many times a player can be tagged
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Hopper:

I can't recall if there is a limit to how many times a player can be tagged

no there isn't but a lot of players say they won't sign to the franchise tag unless its in writting that the team can't do it again the next year.

• GEEK
  • Veteran

Manusky might one day leave for a HC job but that won't happen this offseason. The few teams making moves will likely target coaches like Holmgren,Shanahan, or Cowher.

Yeah. I said 2011 free agency though.

If our D keeps it up, Manusky will be a prime candidate for 2011.
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's not only playing well in the contract year. He's played well since Manusky changed his responsibilities after Nolan left.

Franklin is legit, I believe he is one of the top NT in the NFL and I am very happy the 9ers have him. I do not think we will need to franchise him and will get him signed to a 4-5 year contract prior to the end of this season.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Yeah. I said 2011 free agency though.

If our D keeps it up, Manusky will be a prime candidate for 2011.

He'll deserve it. Won't mean that he'll make a great HC though. Lots of great coordinators turn out to be lousy head coaches.
He showed only glimpses last season that he is showing now. Glimpses that were massively overhyped. I fear that he's all about the money. F-tag him to keep him working hard... draft a rd 1-4 NT prospect to groom (especially if SF doesn't see Balmer/Ice as a worthwhile replacement)...
I'd tag him, and still draft a NT prospect as insurance, if they're the BPA wherever we might be picking.
Share 49ersWebzone