Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by posterX:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Unless Norv Turner gets canned, I say we stick with Raye and try consistency for once.

Come on man, everyone knows that the only way to have a great offense is to change the OC every single year...

I understand changing the coordinator every year is aweful for a team but that doesnt mean we should settle with a bad one just to have consistency. Im not saying we actively go on the hunt for a new OC after the year its just a thought because i dont think Weis will be up for another head coaching job anytime soon so we can possibly land an OC who is smart and who will stay. Not to mention he is decent with quarterbacks just like Norv.

Okay, let's assume for a second that during the offseason, we fire Raye and bring in Charlie Weis as our OC. What happens then next season if we're 4-5 at this same point and our offense is bottom 10 in the NFL again. You'll have a s**tload of people screaming for Weis to be fired and for us to bring in a new coordinator. It's an endless cycle until you start to understand that CONTINUITY wins in the NFL, not hiring a new coach every season and expecting him to fix things immediately.

You don't stick with something that is below average for the sake of continuity. Talent wins in the NFL. Both on the field and on the sidelines. We are making some progress with the field talent, but we've gone backwards with the coaching talent. We can't continue to punch ourselves in the nuts with uncalled for and flat out ridiculous coaching hires.

go away troll.

Why the name calling?

I just call em as I see em.

Oh, so only your type of opinion is allowed around here? You get to call names because you feel justified? That gives you a free pass to attack others? BTW, are you really saying that continuity makes up for talent?
Unless Norv Turner gets canned, I say we stick with Raye and try consistency for once.

Come on man, everyone knows that the only way to have a great offense is to change the OC every single year...

I understand changing the coordinator every year is aweful for a team but that doesnt mean we should settle with a bad one just to have consistency. Im not saying we actively go on the hunt for a new OC after the year its just a thought because i dont think Weis will be up for another head coaching job anytime soon so we can possibly land an OC who is smart and who will stay. Not to mention he is decent with quarterbacks just like Norv.

Okay, let's assume for a second that during the offseason, we fire Raye and bring in Charlie Weis as our OC. What happens then next season if we're 4-5 at this same point and our offense is bottom 10 in the NFL again. You'll have a s**tload of people screaming for Weis to be fired and for us to bring in a new coordinator. It's an endless cycle until you start to understand that CONTINUITY wins in the NFL, not hiring a new coach every season and expecting him to fix things immediately.

You don't stick with something that is below average for the sake of continuity. Talent wins in the NFL. Both on the field and on the sidelines. We are making some progress with the field talent, but we've gone backwards with the coaching talent. We can't continue to punch ourselves in the nuts with uncalled for and flat out ridiculous coaching hires.

go away troll.

I can't believe the mindset of the zone these days. Just upgrade the line that's all we need. We don't need a QB, our scheme is fine. Really? Are you guys serious?

You guys wanna know why we've had a bottom 10 offense over the past 5 years. It's not because of continuity. It's because we selected a lemon in Alex Smith and instead of upgrading we've decided to tweek that lemon every single year. And no fishing thru other teams waiver wire garbage does not count as upgrading.

The only way I support keeping Raye is if by miracle we land McNabb.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Weis would go back to NE end of story.

Not only will we NOT be looking for an offensive coordinator, but Weis probably won't go back to New England either. He will be a serious candidate for HC of several teams (Bills, Browns, Bucs, Raiders, Chiefs).

Our next OC will come from within, and it will probably be Tom Rathman.

What makes you think after failing as a college HC, he would get offered a HC gig in the NFL?? Especially when he hasn't been an NFL HC before?? And I don't think NE has an OC, unless Bill O'Brien is calling the plays?? But I'd put money that Weis ends back up in NE where he had success.
Originally posted by King49er:

...Charlie Weis...FML...FML...
NO
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Weis would go back to NE end of story.

Not only will we NOT be looking for an offensive coordinator, but Weis probably won't go back to New England either. He will be a serious candidate for HC of several teams (Bills, Browns, Bucs, Raiders, Chiefs).

Our next OC will come from within, and it will probably be Tom Rathman.

What makes you think after failing as a college HC, he would get offered a HC gig in the NFL?? Especially when he hasn't been an NFL HC before?? And I don't think NE has an OC, unless Bill O'Brien is calling the plays?? But I'd put money that Weis ends back up in NE where he had success.

I agree there is no way Weis gets an NFL head coaching job unless its with the Browns because they for some reason love hiring New Englands assistants as head coachs.

However, i agree alex has to shoulder some of the blame on why or offense is terrible but Jimmy Raye is ike 67 and isnt gonna be the perminant answer to the offense. Why not go out and grab a guy who we know will be there for a while. Plus his system isnt too far off of what we do now and he'll certainly be a balanced play caller and another voice of reason besides singletary telling Raye what to do.

Also as for niner fans being soft. Thats dumb we just expect a winning team and i dont see how we can do that with a bad OC. Improve the oline is a necessity but the run run incomplete pass play calling we have is not only predictable, but lacking in substance.

Can anyone think of other possible long term answers at OC?
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I can't believe the mindset of the zone these days. Just upgrade the line that's all we need. We don't need a QB, our scheme is fine. Really? Are you guys serious?

You guys wanna know why we've had a bottom 10 offense over the past 5 years. It's not because of continuity. It's because we selected a lemon in Alex Smith and instead of upgrading we've decided to tweek that lemon every single year. And no fishing thru other teams waiver wire garbage does not count as upgrading.

How do you know that? We haven't had any continuity to begin with.

-9fA
  • kem99
  • Veteran
If Charlie Weis is fired by Notre Dame which I think is all but done already, do you think he would be a good hire as our offensive coordinator?

I dont wanna hear about people saying he sucked at ND because its different. The guy was a good coordinator for some super bowl teams and if he wants to get back into the NFL would he be a good hire for us?

For the most part, his offense at ND has been fine. He just isn't a HC. If/when he gets canned, he is going to have the benefit of a lucrative buy-out from ND so he probably would take a year off anyway before getting back into coaching, most likely at the NFL level as a coordinator.

With that said, Raye is going to be the OC next year unless he chooses to leave or retire. Part of the reason he was hired was to give some continuity at OC after 7 years straight of changing OC's year to year.
Originally posted by Arnazbattle4life:
The only way I see us getting a new coordinator is if Alex smith doesn't show anything within the last 7 games and we get a quarterback in the draft because honestly Sing is in love with Raye and unless smith and raye tank I don't see it happening

I was gonna say the same thing, and honestly, FOR THE SAKE OF THE OFFENSE i hope we keep all of our personnel because i think we have our first full year going into our second season with the same staff, same OC, same starting QB, same receivers, a no 1. that can start the season off. The team we have now is not the same team from when HIll started the offense. So since some pieces have been moved around, and replaced. It would be great to see our team with that type of continuity, and would really spell out, Super Bowl or bust. If we dont make much noise now, i hope we keep the same with definitely upgrading the o-line, and a few other spots. But we could start off 2010, knowing that all excuses around are done, and nothing less than a playoff berth.

go away troll.

The problem with the Ray hire is even when and if (big if) we get an 0-line, better WR play and someone proven to back up Gore or take over when he slows, we will still have Ray calling the plays. If we had gone out and hired someone on the upswing as an o-coordinator we could have at least had consistancy and upside rather than consistancy and complacency with Ray.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

How do you know that? We haven't had any continuity to begin with.

-9fA

It's not like we've had scrubs at OC over the past 5 seasons. These guys have consisant record of improvement (Martz, McCarthy, Turner), and a consisant record of good production out of their QB.

Not once in this 5 year span has Alex had one game were you can legitimately call him the future.

I'd love to have continuity. Who doesn't want that? But I'm not going to settle on a doomed offense just for continuity sake. I love Singletary, but if he puts all of his marbles with Raye and our crappy QB's then he deserves to be fired after 2010.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:13 AM ]
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A

It will be time to bring in a new GM, new coach, and new coaching staff.
Singletary is an extension of the Nolan regime. If we fail again next season that puts us at 6 years of McCoughlan's regime without any success whatsoever.

Time to reshake things.

THIS.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
If you want to discuss Weis's coaching future please do so in the proper place. Right now there isn't any indication that the Niners are considering a new OC.
Share 49ersWebzone