LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Owens shouldn't be mentioned with "The Catch"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As niner fans we've been blessed thru the years with some very memorable moments and a long history of success. Owens catch was one of those, the aftermath wasn't so great but that catch was. I think his brain got rattled a bit in there and helped cause his diva-ness. Word prior was how humble and shy he was and after that...... Anyways, I think every niner fan will look at the catch and the catch 2 in two different lights as they should be. The catch was more than a play, it was the play that catapulted our dynasty into greatness and for that it will always be one of the top tier plays ever for this team, for the nfl. Far ahead of the catch 2. Call it catch 2, 2nd will never be as great as #1.
It's only referred as the "The Catch 2" because it's us. Now if some other WR made a game winning catch other than ours then I would have a problem with it being called the catch 2 or 3 .
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
that play should of never happened. Rice fumbled the ball a few plays before that but it was ruled down by contact. Replay clearly showed he fumbled and a packer recovered.

Correct, a lot of 49er fans seem to forget this, selective memory.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
that play should of never happened. Rice fumbled the ball a few plays before that but it was ruled down by contact. Replay clearly showed he fumbled and a packer recovered.
hey, the refs owed us about 5 more of those. The packers got too many calls their way. We were due.

Agreed . . . we got hosed in Green Bay a bunch of times.

Yeah. I'm not saying that the league conspired against the 49ers but for a VERY long time it seemed and sometime STILL seems that they didn't go out of their way to call fair and unbiased games where we were concerned. I'd write a book about all the garbage calls(and not get all of them in, it would be so big) but I'd be afraid the league would hold that against em and continue to penalize them with the laze fare officiating.

~Ceadder

To this day, all my wife's relatives back in Green Bay still complain about the non-fumble call against Rice (yes, he fumbled the ball); yet they will not even consider the number of bad calls that went their way in the preceding games back during that run of games between the 9ers and the Pack. As for the so-called Catch II and its significance, the reality of the situation is that the Packers were not as good that season as they had been the previous couple seasons (they weren’t expected to be able to beat either the Vikings or the Falcons the following week), so it wasn't as big of a deal to actually beat them. Furthermore, the 9ers really weren't that great of a team that season either. The 9ers were actually huge underdogs the following week’s game after the Catch II against the Falcons. And who can forget Garrison Hearst destroying his ankle in the Falcons’ game on the very first play from scrimmage after having run for 1,570 yards that season. As I didn’t really think the 9ers had a very good chance of getting to the Super Bowl that season (the Vikings and the Falcons were both much, much better teams that season) coupled with Garrison Hearst basically being lost to the 9ers for the next couple of seasons as a result of the Catch II along with the Catch II itself being tainted, I honestly just don’t see the big deal about the Catch II. I see it merely as a good catch that probably shouldn’t have ever happened, and the only real positive result from it was that the 9er almost upset the Falcons – they still lost that game.
[ Edited by fzrdave on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:

No one forgets that. We just don't give a s**t after all the times we were screwed by the refs. Even Steve says the same thing if you watch the NFL video on this game.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

No one forgets that. We just don't give a s**t after all the times we were screwed by the refs. Even Steve says the same thing if you watch the NFL video on this game.

This
Originally posted by luv49rs:

This

That.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by luv49rs:

This

That.

And the other
The Catch II must have been coined by someone without a creative bone in their body.

And yes, it is wholly inappropriate.
I thought people called it "The Redemption Reception". I like that better.

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Terrell Owens was a beast in a Niner uniform.

That's all that matters.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I thought people called it "The Redemption Reception". I like that better.

that is a thousand times better
It's unfortunate what happened with T.O., but the game deserves to be called The Catch II. After everything we went through with them, to finally knock them off, that game was all about redemption.

It's also unfortunate that we went out and lost that next week to Atlanta, but I'm sure I'm not the only 49ers fan that believe's if Garrison Hearst hadn't gotten hurt, we would've gone to the Super Bowl and had a fair chance at beating Denver.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
"The Catch" was a play that started a dynasty; it sent our team to its very first Super Bowl. Owens' catch was an absolutely amazing play, but it was during the wildcard game. I remember being very excited that we finally beat the Packers, but I just dont like referring to it as "The Catch II". I think Dwight Clark deserves to have the only play known as "The Catch" because of the outcome of the play: A DYNASTY!!!!

P.S. I blame Brett Favre for everything that has gone wrong this season. It is all Favre's fault!!!!

I wholehearty agree. Owen's reception was indeed amazing and helped to win a playoff game but it only made up for the amount of drops he had during the game. The fact that he had many drops in a sloppy game should not be overlooked as it is by so many people. He was the last option in a game where if he just catches half of the passes thrown his way we sustain drives.
I think that if there was a Catch II, it should be Taylor's catch in Super Bowl 23 (still the best Super Bowl ever, Tyree be damned).

Oh and I don't give a crap that Rice fumbled two plays earlier, there were much worst calls in previous games that GB got.

Like the MNF game in GB in 96. Favre throws a pass to Don Beebe, the ball skips off of the ground, Beebe traps it, McDonald touches him while he was on the ground, Beebe gets up and runs 59yds for a TD, refs give it to him. Final score of the game was 23-20 GB, GB finishes 13-3, we're 12-4. That game cost us first in the West (Carolina beat us twice and held the tie breaker, they finished 12-4 as well) and we lost to Green Bay in the Divisional round in Green Bay.

or the time Gary Plummer recovered a fumble and went 98yds, only to have the refs rule the Packers RB (Edgar Bennet I believe) down before the fumble (he wasn't).

Packer fans have no leg to stand on when it comes to the refs and bad calls.
Share 49ersWebzone