There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My latest article: Midseason in 49erland...a Look Back at the Offense

Originally posted by kemp_j:
Interesting article.......
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not bad but you kinda forgot that through all of Hill's limitations the team was 3-1 with him starting. You seem to forget Smith's turnover problems. And for real the o line problem should have been discussed more than anything. good writing though i like the part about popping antacid tablets.

I agree...the team was winning while Hill was the QB. But I feel that they were winnig in spite of Hill. The defense finished his wins...no denying that. Say what you like...but by the time we played Atlanta, Hill's limitations were well known by anyone who has watched film of him.

Hill held onto the ball almost .5 seconds longer than Smith on the average. Smith's turnover issues are situational...all but two of his picks came off of tipped balls, and if you think either of his fumbles in the Titans game were his fault, you should go back and look at them in detail.

The O-line problem is situational, too. With a QB that stretches the field, teams run blitz less, and as a result, Gore's effectiveness over the past three games has been measurably better. Continuity on this unit would help a great deal. The line has actually done pretty well considering the injuries we've dealt with this season. The early struggles with run blocking had more to do with defenses stacking the line than with the line's ability. This isn't intended as a defense of the line...but rather to illustrate that the line will be more effective with a passer that can stretch the field.

I'm not saying Smith is a world beater...just that his skill set gives the team a better opportunity to employ all of its weapons.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Not bad but you kinda forgot that through all of Hill's limitations the team was 3-1 with him starting. You seem to forget Smith's turnover problems. And for real the o line problem should have been discussed more than anything. good writing though i like the part about popping antacid tablets.

I agree...the team was winning while Hill was the QB. But I feel that they were winnig in spite of Hill. The defense finished his wins...no denying that. Say what you like...but by the time we played Atlanta, Hill's limitations were well known by anyone who has watched film of him.

Hill held onto the ball almost .5 seconds longer than Smith on the average. Smith's turnover issues are situational...all but two of his picks came off of tipped balls, and if you think either of his fumbles in the Titans game were his fault, you should go back and look at them in detail.

The O-line problem is situational, too. With a QB that stretches the field, teams run blitz less, and as a result, Gore's effectiveness over the past three games has been measurably better. Continuity on this unit would help a great deal. The line has actually done pretty well considering the injuries we've dealt with this season. The early struggles with run blocking had more to do with defenses stacking the line than with the line's ability. This isn't intended as a defense of the line...but rather to illustrate that the line will be more effective with a passer that can stretch the field.

I'm not saying Smith is a world beater...just that his skill set gives the team a better opportunity to employ all of its weapons.

Good read LB, I agree with this post as well, thanks.
I think you start off on the wrong track when you say no one expected a 4-5 start? Uh I did. And so did many others. To paint it as as surprise 1st half of the season is misleading. For a great many fans, this season is playing out exactly as expected
Originally posted by danimal:
I think you start off on the wrong track when you say no one expected a 4-5 start? Uh I did. And so did many others. To paint it as as surprise 1st half of the season is misleading. For a great many fans, this season is playing out exactly as expected

Actually, I had the Niners winning in Arizona (the loss of Haley and the fact that the Niners match up well vs. their receiveing corps), against the Titans (because Vodka Collins just can't seem to do well in back to back seasons) and against Houston. I thought we'd be 5-4 about now.

I had this team finishing 9-7 on the year.

Actually, I had the Niners winning in Arizona (the loss of Haley and the fact that the Niners match up well vs. their receiveing corps), against the Titans (because Vodka Collins just can't seem to do well in back to back seasons) and against Houston. I thought we'd be 5-4 about now.

what do you have us finishing at now? i have us going 10-6 or 9-7
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by matt49er:

I think 10-6 is very doable. The only bumps I see are the Philly game and the AZ game (and both those teams go hot and cold, so if we catch them on a bad night it'll be good for us). I think we win at GB.

If we go 10-6 we sweep the division.

If we go 9-7 and manage to beat AZ we win the division as well.

It depends on how quickly Smith and the offense grow...

With 7 left, our toughest two are at Green Bay and at Philly. If we can manage to win just one of those, 10-6 is in the cards. If not, I see the Niners finishing 9-7, and barely squeaking into the post season.

If the Niners do make it that far, they will likely lose their first game, unless the team grows A LOT between now and then.

This is still a team in transition. There are a lot of positive signs, and I think another off season will do them a world of good.

It depends on how quickly Smith and the offense grow...

With 7 left, our toughest two are at Green Bay and at Philly. If we can manage to win just one of those, 10-6 is in the cards. If not, I see the Niners finishing 9-7, and barely squeaking into the post season.

If the Niners do make it that far, they will likely lose their first game, unless the team grows A LOT between now and then.

This is still a team in transition. There are a lot of positive signs, and I think another off season will do them a world of good.

I agree with everything you have said. Hopefully the main focus of the offseason is the OLine and pass rush