There are 205 users in the forums

Who Is More To Blame For Offensive Failures This Year

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who Is More To Blame For Offensive Failures This Year

Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Should add Foerster with the OL. To be CONSISTENTLY horrible means there must be horribly CONSISTENT coaching.

This
If our O-Line had a solid RT and also played better as a group, then Smith and Gore would look a lot better too. Every thing starts at the O-Line. Also, Raye/Sing might also have a different game plan too.
Wish I could put Raye's playing calling early on and the online. I probably blame part of Raye's play calling under Hill on the QB since he couldn't throw deep which limited what we could do.
O line is playing really hard but it is our least robust area.
Plays are being called according to what the coaches know the team can handle.
Combination of them all. I think we need a new o-line coach next year.
You need to add a "Singletay's offensive philosophy of "Just don't lose it" button to this poll, as with many problems this one is systemic and top down!
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Should add Foerster with the OL. To be CONSISTENTLY horrible means there must be horribly CONSISTENT coaching.

This

And That!
Singletary
The person ultimately to blame is Mike Singletary. He got rid of an effective offense and brought in Raye b/c no one else would take the job and Raye woudl do whatever Sing said to do.

Raye
Speaking of Raye, he is the 2nd person most to blame for this horrible offense. All OC will call a bad play once in a while, but when we get a lead in the 2nd half, the 49ers offense runs and hides. Whatever has been working is trashed and becomes a run, run, pass, punt offense that is designed to bleed out the clock.

QB
The third is whomever is playing QB. Despite the first two guys, despite a shaky OL, if our QB was a little more accurate or a little more decisive or a little better head/arm/legs, the offense would be significantly better regardless of the HC, OC, or OL.

OL Coach
The fourth imo is the OL coach. Baas did pretty well last year and the year before and Rachal did well at the end of last year. These players suddenly stink. Bad. Every single OL that Foerrster has coached has gotten better after he left. The year after he was fired in Bmore and Miami--both offensive lines significantly improved the very next year. What does that tell ya?

Sing, Raye, QB, Foerrster.
Sing probably gets another year. Unless we make the playoffs, Raye is dead where he stands, we know the Qb will have to be changed eventually and I fully expect the OL coach to be replaced this offseason.
I think you have to point at the O-line and O-line coaching first and foremost. Look no further than Arizona since replacing Denny Green with Whisenhunt. The players have not really changed all that much since Whisenhunt took over, but he made sure to bring Russ Grimm over from Pitt and they made the small, but necessary, tweaks in the OL to make them productive. They have played almost 30 games together as a unit, which also helps.

I dont think their players have more talent along the OL, but I do think their coaches are getting the most out of them where ours arent. Either it is time to get a big-time proven OL coach, or its time to completely revamp the line. One way or another, the offense is failing mainly because of the line. The sad part is that it has been that way since the Mooch days
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Nov 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM ]
We'll never reach the next level until the o-line improves. Just look at how much time Brady and Manning have to pass.

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
We'll never reach the next level until the o-line improves. Just look at how much time Brady and Manning have to pass.

Yep, and then look at their sack numbers. It was ridiculous that Manning had not been sacked in 3 games (until he played us ). Can you imagine if our team had that kind of line? 3 games without a sack? I dont think we have seen anything near that for the better part of a decade. 3 snaps without a sack is good for our line.
The OLine has been bad this year but it is Raye who has not adjusted to their poor play. But what the hell are going to call when your QB has about 2 seconds until he is hit and the first contact on the RB is almost always in the backfield.
Originally posted by saj4423:
The OLine has been bad this year but it is Raye who has not adjusted to their poor play. But what the hell are going to call when your QB has about 2 seconds until he is hit and the first contact on the RB is almost always in the backfield.

Yep. On the bright side, it shows that we have a lot of team players because not one person has pointed the finger. They all just say "We need to get better". You know Gore and Smith are remembering Larry Allen and Jonas Jennings dominating the left side right about now.
Crabtree is to BLAME!!...not just for Offensive Failures but for the TEAM!

we were 3-1 without him...

after Crabtree signs...

we r 1-4...
[ Edited by quatic on Nov 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone