McCarthy on Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Shout out to all the Smith fans! Embarrassing!

It's a QB's world in today's NFL

He's lower than Russell!!

wow you're a real fan of the team

the truth hurts

hurts? no not really seems how that is all a bunch of BS from some dumb ass who knows nothing about football. But hey neither do you so I can see why you would agree

Yet, if that same "dumbass" had Smith's picture pasted next to Brady or Manning's, you'd be all over this thread claiming victory. You people are such hypocrites. Every analyst that calls Alex a bust is ridiculed and considered unworthy of football knowledge. I remember similar comments by Niner FANS towards Steve Young and Jerry Rice when they called Smith a bust as well. You guys can hang on to Alex's jersey for dear life, but it doesnt change the perception of him in the football world. Go watch tv for the next couple days. Every single media outlet is doing the "Smith vs. Rodgers" debate, and not one yet has defended the Niners for choosing Smith. And these are UNIBIASED fans, might I add. Not Niner fans trying to root for their players...just good football journalists stating the obvious. But you guys just dont seem to get that.

LOL You keep bringing up that Jerry and Steve called him a bust, but Steve never even said flat out that he's a bust. The only comments about Smith that were negative IIRC were the Seattle game in 07 when he had the seperated shoulder, and just a few weeks ago Steve was on ESPN saying that Alex isn't a bust the guy's just a late bloomer. You sure you know what you're talking about?

If he knew what he was talking about this conversation wouldn't be going on
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

the truth hurts

hurts? no not really seems how that is all a bunch of BS from some dumb ass who knows nothing about football. But hey neither do you so I can see why you would agree

Yet, if that same "dumbass" had Smith's picture pasted next to Brady or Manning's, you'd be all over this thread claiming victory. You people are such hypocrites. Every analyst that calls Alex a bust is ridiculed and considered unworthy of football knowledge. I remember similar comments by Niner FANS towards Steve Young and Jerry Rice when they called Smith a bust as well. You guys can hang on to Alex's jersey for dear life, but it doesnt change the perception of him in the football world. Go watch tv for the next couple days. Every single media outlet is doing the "Smith vs. Rodgers" debate, and not one yet has defended the Niners for choosing Smith. And these are UNIBIASED fans, might I add. Not Niner fans trying to root for their players...just good football journalists stating the obvious. But you guys just dont seem to get that.

LOL You keep bringing up that Jerry and Steve called him a bust, but Steve never even said flat out that he's a bust. The only comments about Smith that were negative IIRC were the Seattle game in 07 when he had the seperated shoulder, and just a few weeks ago Steve was on ESPN saying that Alex isn't a bust the guy's just a late bloomer. You sure you know what you're talking about?

If he knew what he was talking about this conversation wouldn't be going on

+1

the truth hurts

You put Rodgers in Smith's position and you get the same results. And if you watch tv for a few hours you will hear them say that as well. And these are unbiased professionals not fans but professionals.

Coulda, woulda, shouldas. Smith has had 2 years as starter, and 2 years on the bench to watch and learn the game. I mean......geez.....are you implying that he's scarred for life because of what happened to him as a rookie ? When will he get over this post-traumatic stress syndrome of his ? I didnt know playing could be so damning to a player.

actually he has had 2 years as a starter and 2 years recovering from an injury. So you are a doctor now and have diagnosed Smith with PTSD?? thats interesting. And here I thought he just needed to have the same Offensinve Coordinator for more than ohhh say 1 year at a time. But silly me

Actually, I am a doctor......and from what you guys are posting, it sounds exactly like PTSD. Sounds ludicrous doesnt it ? And again, keep in mind that Hill seemed to have success with those same coordinators that Alex was having trouble with, and that includes the worst of the bunch: HOSTLER.

But anyways, I can see its pointless arguing with you. You're convinced that Alex is the next Montana; I'll just let his playing do the talking for me. But knowing the Zone, you guys will still come up with a list of Alexcuses this season. And IF (god forbid) Smith comes back next year and botches, well get an entire new list of Alexcuses (not comfortable with coordinator, not enough supporting cast, etc. etc.) like we have since he was drafted.

Some people just like to learn the hard way. I feel sorry for you........

You're not a doctor. You're a troll.

the truth hurts

You put Rodgers in Smith's position and you get the same results. And if you watch tv for a few hours you will hear them say that as well. And these are unbiased professionals not fans but professionals.

Coulda, woulda, shouldas. Smith has had 2 years as starter, and 2 years on the bench to watch and learn the game. I mean......geez.....are you implying that he's scarred for life because of what happened to him as a rookie ? When will he get over this post-traumatic stress syndrome of his ? I didnt know playing could be so damning to a player.

actually he has had 2 years as a starter and 2 years recovering from an injury. So you are a doctor now and have diagnosed Smith with PTSD?? thats interesting. And here I thought he just needed to have the same Offensinve Coordinator for more than ohhh say 1 year at a time. But silly me

Actually, I am a doctor......and from what you guys are posting, it sounds exactly like PTSD. Sounds ludicrous doesnt it ? And again, keep in mind that Hill seemed to have success with those same coordinators that Alex was having trouble with, and that includes the worst of the bunch: HOSTLER.

But anyways, I can see its pointless arguing with you. You're convinced that Alex is the next Montana; I'll just let his playing do the talking for me. But knowing the Zone, you guys will still come up with a list of Alexcuses this season. And IF (god forbid) Smith comes back next year and botches, well get an entire new list of Alexcuses (not comfortable with coordinator, not enough supporting cast, etc. etc.) like we have since he was drafted.

Some people just like to learn the hard way. I feel sorry for you........

A doctor huh? That's cool, but irrelevant to being a 9er fan. You know, I am in the middle in terms of how much longer I can support Smith, but the fact is the bashers on here are completely out of line. Who care what Rice says, or what Young says, or what some dude on Fox Sports says. The fact is we will have to wait and see what happens with him! We have the rest of the year and if he isn't definitively the answer at QB than he would have had his shot. The fact is he is the BEST we have. Live with it. Shaun Hill is a nice backup but unfortunately he doesn't have the physical tools to ever be a full time starter. Smith has more potential. Period. He is 25. He is mobile. He is proven to be accurate. And whether you like it or not SMITH is the BEST we have. Once more, ALEX SMITH is the BEST we have. Nobody said he is gonna be Montana and nobody said he is the next Ryan Leaf. Kick back, grab a coke and smile. We have six games left. Let's see how this thing unfolds.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
it is a pointless argument, because you can never prove anything one way or the other.

Personally, I think the very best teacher is real playing time. Thats how you learn. Its just like anything else.....you read something in a book and kind of get it, but when you apply those theories or practices is when it really sinks in. Nobody has ever effectively convinced me that somehow NFL quarterbacking is different.

I do agree with the excuses about the various coordinators and about not getting him weapons or a good line...those are valid excuses. The whole sitting vs playing debate.....thats just peoples opinion

It's also about confidence...if you throw a young QB out to get burned and he can't handle the public pressure that comes with failure...well you end up with Ryan Leaf...
doesn't matter if he should have sat or not. He didn't. Move forward already. Let it go.
  • wordlesschor
  • Info N/A
I remember shortly after we drafted Smith somebody put up a video on here of McCarthy breaking down college game footage of Smith with some other coaches and McCarthy and/or the group was so enamored by what they saw one of them said something to the tune of, "well what are we waiting for guys?" which i think was in reference to drafting him #1 overall. Anybody else recall/see this?

I think the video was straight from 49ers.com btw.
  • wordlesschor
  • Info N/A
Also, it's kind of a moot point and hindsight is always what they say it is but looking back now it wouldve been great if we had sat Smith.
Originally posted by wordlesschor:
Also, it's kind of a moot point and hindsight is always what they say it is but looking back now it wouldve been great if we had sat Smith.

Yeah that would have been great but it was Nolan's impatience that forced him into the lineup. Ratay was the QB and had been throwing 4th qtr interceptions alot if you recall that cost us games. Now we know better that those teams were pretty pitiful after being strippped of all of its talent. Nolan wanted to enter the coaching ranks with a big splash and severley overestimated the talent that was on the team. He didn't realize there was no supporting cast around the QB to make him successful and felt he could have done better with a rookie rather than a vet. he was wrong.the result 1 td pass for Smith that came at the end of the year.
It's one thing to play a rookie on a decent team...it's another to throw a 20 yr old to the wolves on a horrible one. Hindsight's typically 20/20 but I'll bet if Nolan had a do-over he'd have kept Rattay to allow Alex to learn the ropes before throwing him out there. So, I agree w/McCarthy...it's moot now, but it does give you some insight into what's happened to Alex.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's one thing to play a rookie on a decent team...it's another to throw a 20 yr old to the wolves on a horrible one. Hindsight's typically 20/20 but I'll bet if Nolan had a do-over he'd have kept Rattay to allow Alex to learn the ropes before throwing him out there. So, I agree w/McCarthy...it's moot now, but it does give you some insight into what's happened to Alex.

You mean like Vince Young who has had multiple OCs and was thrown in.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yeah, why isn't everyone exactly the same as everyone else?

Hmm.
I think like quite a few fans that Alex may never fully develop. He seems to lack the fire and determination to win. I mainly refer to the times he bails out and throws the ball away on third downs. He fails easily. I think with Joe, he would have pulled his own tooth then fail to make first downs. I know he probably has minimal help from the coaches but he has to do more on his own. I think that is why I like Nate Davis so much is that he has very few builtin flaws that Alex has. He is instinctive and has natural skills moving around and imo has the best arm around. True he might have a bit of trouble learning plays but the ability to make plays is immense compared to Alex. We all saw that most times, he recognized throws much much quicker and got the ball there at the optimal times. Alex is so often so late that the play has past and he has to dump the ball or get sacked or throw an interception. He seems to be pregressing a bit but playing from such a hole as last week is a fools game and unfortunately the fools participating in that are the coaches. I think if we had sound coaches I personally would feel more secure in what we see from Alex.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Troll.
Share 49ersWebzone