There are 195 users in the forums

McCarthy on Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by quatic:
most players would not have taken the paycut....some would've left and hoping to find bigger splash(s) somewhere else....Alex took it and stayed a 49er...

i'm happy he stayed!...i wanna see him play for us for a very long time....

Thats because he realized nobody else wanted him
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
most players would not have taken the paycut....some would've left and hoping to find bigger splash(s) somewhere else....Alex took it and stayed a 49er...

Yes...I wish Alex the best as well.
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by backontop:
Shout out to all the Smith fans! Embarrassing!

It's a QB's world in today's NFL

He's lower than Russell!!

wow you're a real fan of the team

How does that make me less of a fan of the team?? Tell me that you like all of the guys on that roster and haven't talked s**t about anyone of them?? Don't be a Hypocrite man cause I am pretty sure you were very critical about the Clements situation. Its ridiculous how everybody outside of this organization realizes that Smith is a bust, but McBlind cant realize it.

You are not leas of a fan of the team because you think Smith is a bust. You are less of a fan of the team because you found that funny.

I don't find it funny actually....

I think it is HILARIOUS that he had A. Smith already labeled as a Bust and had Russell in a category above him as "have all the earmarks of first-round draft busts"!

I've been a fan since I was 5 and am going on 22 years now and will always be a fan! In fact, the torch has already been passed cause my 7 and 4 year old girls go to games and watch with us too! But that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything the organization does when it is clear that the way they handled this kid has been a mess since day one!

So if it's clear to you that he's been mishandled, why would you think it's hilarious that Smith is labeled a bust by this dude?

The only thing I thought was hilarious was that he is held in lower regard than JaMarcus freaking Russell!! Have you seen him play lately??

I agree that it is not all his fault for not progressing and developing into a respectable NFL QB, but that doesn't take the tag away. Papa Nolan and the staff he put around the kid was horrible and it pretty much killed his career. He was thrown in too early and into a system that was out of his element with one of the worst teams in the league around him!
Originally posted by danimal:

What is sad is that, deep inside, I wanted him to go somewhere else and get a fresh start this season so he could prove everyone wrong! The kid is young and has great athletic skills, but the emotional and psychological ties that he has to this organization are only negative and he will never be able to surpass them IMO.

if he left or was cut and nobody signed him and then he came back and took his paycut...i totally agree with u...no one wanted him!

but he never left! he stayed and sat his pride aside and took his paycut to stay a 49er....

going off here a bit...remember ahmed plummer?!...he went FA and found no one wanted him then came back to san fran...i felt we should've never took him back becuz he felt he could get paid more outside SF!

if he left or was cut and nobody signed him and then he came back and took his paycut...i totally agree with u...no one wanted him!

but he never left! he stayed and sat his pride aside and took his paycut to stay a 49er....

going off here a bit...remember ahmed plummer?!...he went FA and found no one wanted him then came back to san fran...i felt we should've never took him back becuz he felt he could get paid more outside SF!

but lets not pretend that no speculation occurs in the agents office...especially when he has a meeting with one of his smarter players. I deduce that they predicted staying on with the Niners would both pay him more and give him a better opportunity to get a starting job again.....versus the open market.

but lets not pretend that no speculation occurs in the agents office...especially when he has a meeting with one of his smarter players. I deduce that they predicted staying on with the Niners would both pay him more and give him a better opportunity to get a starting job again.....versus the open market.

Alex must've weighed out his options and felt his chances r best here becuz he's an injury or decision away from being the starter (which now he is) vs. if he went somewhere else....he would b a 2nd/3rd stringer at best!

Alex must've weighed out his options and felt his chances r best here becuz he's an injury or decision away from being the starter (which now he is) vs. if he went somewhere else....he would b a 2nd/3rd stringer at best!

All speculation anyways, the only current coach I know that thinks highly of Smith is Turner, he probably could have gotten back up money in SD, who knows?
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

How, exactly, is that supposed to be amusing?

Because everybody outside of this organization realizes that this guy is a BUST! and we cant.

Once again... not funny.

Personally, I don't root for anyone on my team to fail... but maybe that's just me.

Because everybody outside of this organization realizes that this guy is a BUST! and we cant.

Once again... not funny.

Personally, I don't root for anyone on my team to fail... but maybe that's just me.

Don't sweat NorCal, he wasn't even smart enough to realize that that wasn't rankings. He has enough problems as it is.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

WTF how is he lower than Russell?

there is no ranking within the groupings. For all practical reasons, they all suck equally

Yeah but I have a hard time seeing how he was a bust a long time ago. The last full season he played was 2006, then suffered through 2 years of shoulder injuries. Whether they think he's a bust NOW or not is a different story, but that's BS IMO, he's not bad as Russel. And LOL at those rookies being the future of their team. They could turn out like Smith or even worse easy.

You only have a hard time seeing it because you are a Niner fan. Much of the rest of the civilized world has been calling Alex a bust mainly after his poor showing before the injury. Horrific rookie season + marginal improvement(06) + maybe no improvement(early 07) + MAJOR Injury = BUST to most people

You may not agree, but that is definitely the general perception, what he stated was accurate

You are ridiculous and innacurate.

You only have a hard time seeing it because you are a Niner fan. Much of the rest of the civilized world has been calling Alex a bust mainly after his poor showing before the injury. Horrific rookie season + marginal improvement(06) + maybe no improvement(early 07) + MAJOR Injury = BUST to most people

What civilized world are you talking about? Brian billick, and Herm Edwards both say he is not a bust and will be a good quarterback. Then you say marginal improvement in 06. Obviously your memory serves you poorly as he had the greatest quarterback rating from one season to the next in the history of the NFL. Then in 07 he was injured after leading the niners to a 2-1 start. He seems to be only a bust in your world and not the civilized world of expert football analysts.
[ Edited by dave1003 on Nov 19, 2009 at 4:40 PM ]
Originally posted by dave1003:

WTF how is he lower than Russell?

there is no ranking within the groupings. For all practical reasons, they all suck equally

Yeah but I have a hard time seeing how he was a bust a long time ago. The last full season he played was 2006, then suffered through 2 years of shoulder injuries. Whether they think he's a bust NOW or not is a different story, but that's BS IMO, he's not bad as Russel. And LOL at those rookies being the future of their team. They could turn out like Smith or even worse easy.

You may not agree, but that is definitely the general perception, what he stated was accurate

You are ridiculous and innacurate.

What civilized world are you talking about? Brian billick, and Herm Edwards both say he is not a bust and will be a good quarterback. Then you say marginal improvement in 06. Obviously your memory serves you poorly as he had the greatest quarterback rating from one season to the next in the history of the NFL. Then in 07 he was injured after leading the niners to a 2-1 start. He seems to be only a bust in your world and not the civilized world of expert football analysts.

You are absolutely right. I am ridiculous. Not a bust. Got it.

Originally posted by Nes49:

Yes...I wish Alex the best as well.

this, i have been in his corner the whole way. I want him to wake up though.

You seem pretty happy about this prospect. Yuo sure you're really a niner fan?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

You seem pretty happy about this prospect. Yuo sure you're really a niner fan?

I could ask you the same thing. If you really were a Niner fan, wouldn't you want a position of need identified quickly and refilled? I mean you are a Niner fan right?

Or did you defend Kwame Harris this vigourously? False Starts is a very very very fixable problem. Why did we not give him 3 more years.

That lame question works both ways bud.

You are free to follow poor Alex to his next team....don't let the door hit you on the way out
Share 49ersWebzone