There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Team Speed at W.R. Positions?

If this has been posted already-Sorry.
Is it me or do our wide receivers seem to be caught from behind a lot? Crabtree, I think, will be a solid receiver, but he so far has not shown break away speed. Hill and Morgan also look to be good young receivers too, but again no break away speed. I've noticed that the games we've played so far, our W.R.'s get single coverage. Is there a speed burner in the draft that we could get that would demand double coverage? Could Jones be that that guy?
It's gonna be vital to the game this week. The Packers play a lot of man press coverage and they blitz off that coverage a lot. The WR's will be matched up one on one and will have the chance to beat guys deep with there speed but they just aren't that fact of a WR corp. you could see in the Chicago game that none of there DB's respected the Niner's speed at WR which means the team isn't scared of being beat deep so they play extra aggressive. It's up to the Niner offense to prove them wrong and beat them over the top on deep routes we shall see
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:16 AM ]
It's not a problem, and WR speed is immensely overrated.

It's what caused Jerry Rice to fall in the draft. Fitz, Boldin, TO, Roddy White, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Ochocinco, none of them are burners.

The obsession with speed is also a reason why the Raiders have fielded a squad of burners who don't make a competitive football team for the past decade. Look at their best player, Nnamdi, arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. The knock on him coming out is that he wasn't fast enough to play CB and would be best in a tampa 2.

Of course there's some great players who are fast (chris johnson, patrick willis) but there's no shortage of really fast players who suck or aren't that great (tatum bell, manny lawson). We learned this lesson with Lelie already. You really think Vernon is finally having a great (if still not top 10 pick) season because he got faster?

The reason you're not seeing long pass plays is because a) shaun hill could not throw the deep ball and b) alex smith has the arm strength but not the deep accuracy that allows a receiver to catch a 20 yard pass in stride.
I'm not sure that it is. Opponent's lack of respect for being beet deep could be due to lack of production from the QB, etc.

Besides I think I remember Hill having a fast 40 time and I have heard that Jones is also fast. I know that clock time doesn't always translate to FB speed but I have noticed Hill since he has been in there. He is actually getting open which is something the Bruce, Morgan group seemed to have a hard time with.

I also think that we have allot of other needs in the draft.

Just my two cents.
Yes its terrible. We have the slowest receivers in the league. None of them will have a 100 yard game. The team is no good. We are going nowhere. The team should be sold. Its Singletary's fault, Nolan's fault, Smith's fault, Martz's fault, and Denise Debartolo's fault.
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Yes its terrible. We have the slowest receivers in the league. None of them will have a 100 yard game. The team is no good. We are going nowhere. The team should be sold. Its Singletary's fault, Nolan's fault, Smith's fault, Martz's fault, and Denise Debartolo's fault.

For what it's worth, Arizona probably has the slowest receiving corps in the league.
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's gonna be vital to the game this week. The Packers play a lot of man press coverage and they blitz off that coverage a lot. the3 WR's will be matched up one on one and will have the chance to beat guys deep with there speed but they just aren't that fact of a WR corp. you could see in the Chicago game that none of there DB's respected the Niner's speed at WR which means the team isn't scared of being beat deep so they play extra aggressive. It's up to the Niner offense to prove them wrong and beat them over the top on deep routes we shall see

Crabtree's most impressive trait to me at such an early stage has been his ability to get off the line. That doesn't necessarily equivocate to overall speed, though.

Hines Ward is a good example of that
I hope they plat press all day, Crabs and Morgan are LARGE wide outs, and will win that battle all day long, press a big WR and get knocked on your ass!
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's gonna be vital to the game this week. The Packers play a lot of man press coverage and they blitz off that coverage a lot. the3 WR's will be matched up one on one and will have the chance to beat guys deep with there speed but they just aren't that fact of a WR corp. you could see in the Chicago game that none of there DB's respected the Niner's speed at WR which means the team isn't scared of being beat deep so they play extra aggressive. It's up to the Niner offense to prove them wrong and beat them over the top on deep routes we shall see

Crabtree's most impressive trait to me at such an early stage has been his ability to get off the line. That doesn't necessarily equivocate to overall speed, though.

Hines Ward is a good example of that

True he just drives off soon as the whistle is blown and does a great job at creating separation and running his routes. so for him it's bout hitting some routes then setting up a CB for a double move. Which can be done too in this game. I thinkt he way GB plays should give the Wr's more chances to get some deep balls.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I hope they plat press all day, Crabs and Morgan are LARGE wide outs, and will win that battle all day long, press a big WR and get knocked on your ass!

This
When have you ever seen Jason Hill run a go route, or have the ball with room in front of him?
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
It's not a problem, and WR speed is immensely overrated.

It's what caused Jerry Rice to fall in the draft. Fitz, Boldin, TO, Roddy White, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Ochocinco, none of them are burners.

The obsession with speed is also a reason why the Raiders have fielded a squad of burners who don't make a competitive football team for the past decade. Look at their best player, Nnamdi, arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. The knock on him coming out is that he wasn't fast enough to play CB and would be best in a tampa 2.

Of course there's some great players who are fast (chris johnson, patrick willis) but there's no shortage of really fast players who suck or aren't that great (tatum bell, manny lawson). We learned this lesson with Lelie already. You really think Vernon is finally having a great (if still not top 10 pick) season because he got faster?

The reason you're not seeing long pass plays is because a) shaun hill could not throw the deep ball and b) alex smith has the arm strength but not the deep accuracy that allows a receiver to catch a 20 yard pass in stride.

One of the reasons Roddy was drafted so high in the 1st round was because of his speed. Ochocinco was a burner a few years ago, to the effect that he raced a horse for charity. Youtube Fitz and then tell me he's not a burner.

Your mention of Chris Johnson destroys your whole argument. You think he'd be a first rounder if it wasn't for his speed? What about Peterson? Or DeAngelo? (All top 5 RB's by the way)

Is speed overrated when it comes to guys like Deion Sanders, or Darrelle Revis, or DeSean Jackson? NO!

Speed is not the end all be all, but it definitely is an asset in the NFL!
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by MaliCali:
When have you ever seen Jason Hill run a go route, or have the ball with room in front of him?

No way Morgan should be starting over Jason. Jason does nothing but make plays, Morgan does nothing but make you hold your breath when the ball is thrown in his direction.
Personally I was very disappointed in the Bears game that on both deep ball attempts to Crabtree the CB was right there with him stride for stride.
I think the receiver who may actually have the fastest "football speed", not 40 time, is sitting on the bench, and that's Jones. Hill times fast, but doesn't play fast; quick maybe, just not real fast. Morgan has looked surprisingly slow and we still really don't know about Crabtree, since he hasn't caught anything that's allowed him to get up a head of steam.
Sing made a comment which may explain his staying with Morgan over Hill even though evidence suggests Morgan may not be the receiver we'd hoped he'd be......he mentioned how tough he was. Sing places a premium on tough guys and seems willing to overlook other deficiencies, to a point, if they're physical with an F. Just a theory.
I'd sure like to see a lineup of Jones, Hill and Crabtree and maybe we will if Morgan continues to underachieve.