LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

My annual search for a certain 49er highlight (Montana no look pass to Watters)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Happs
  • Veteran
So every year at least once a year there's one particular Joe Montana highlight that I scour the web for but have never found. No one else has had any luck either.

The clip in question is A Joe Montana NO LOOK pass to Ricky Watters. Yup that's right, a NO LOOK pass. It was in Joe's final game as a 49er on Monday Night vs the Lions in 1992. He only played the second half. On this play Watters was in the flat. Montana went through his progressions then threw to Watters while still looking down the field!

After the game Watters went mental about the play to reporters. To paraphrase what he said: I've never seen anything like it. I've seen no look passes in basketball but never in football. He couldn't believe it.

One day I will find this clip. It is truly remarkable. The Watters postgame comments are great too.

Does anyone have a copy of this play?

go to the 7:05 mark

it wasnt to ricky watters
[ Edited by valrod33 on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:17 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:

yea, it was to nate clements.
NICE, man I miss those days, I remember watching that game.
But as far as hard to find clips, how bout the Steve Young tackle on Deion Sanders after throwing him a pick, that was Amazing!!!
Originally posted by prime21:
NICE, man I miss those days, I remember watching that game.
But as far as hard to find clips, how bout the Steve Young tackle on Deion Sanders after throwing him a pick, that was Amazing!!!

that was awesome. I didn't even mind the pick after that tackle. I was hyped.

I miss steve young!! and i love him.
  • Happs
  • Veteran

Could it finally be?! After many years of searching, I think this is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best view of it is the 7:20 mark. Look how he hits the back, (not Ricky Watters, thank you for correcting me sir) without even looking at him. Was looking downfield till the very last possible second.

Today is a very happy day for me now. Thank you ver much Sir!!!!!!!!
He suck so badly...couldn't complete a 5 yds dump off! WTH were we think keeping this guy around for so long

Originally posted by Happs:

Could it finally be?! After many years of searching, I think this is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best view of it is the 7:20 mark. Look how he hits the back, (not Ricky Watters, thank you for correcting me sir) without even looking at him. Was looking downfield till the very last possible second.

Today is a very happy day for me now. Thank you ver much Sir!!!!!!!!

you are welcome
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I remember staying up late to watch that game with my mom. I was 9 years old and I had no idea that would be Joe's last game as a Niner.
I'm pretty sure that was Amp Lee.

Originally posted by Marvin49:

That it was. You can hear Al Michaels make the call.
Originally posted by Esco:
I remember staying up late to watch that game with my mom. I was 9 years old and I had no idea that would be Joe's last game as a Niner.

I was like 10 or 11..and that was my first niner game everrrrrrr
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

That it was. You can hear Al Michaels make the call.

oops...lol....was watching it without sound.

I just knew that '92 was Amps rookie year. I remember when Amp Lee and Ricky Watters were battling to be the starter that year in preseason and I was rooting for Amp. I was also bummed that year because I REALLY wanted Vaughn Dunbar. Nobody thought he would fall to the Niners pick...but he did and the Niners STILL didn't take him. Instead they took Dana Hall. Turns out BOTH players were busts...lol.

Amp wasn't real fast and wasn't real big, but that guy had some moves.

In the long run tho, Ricky was the right choice as the starter. :-)
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM ]
I almost cried
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Montana's last half as a 49er....I remember like it was yesterday,
Share 49ersWebzone