LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

The Barry Sims Question?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Should we keep Barry as the starter on the left and move Staley to the right were he played great. Also leave him there and go after a stud LT in the off-season and sign Barry as the back up over there at LT and draft a RT for Staley's back up.
Sorry but sims playing 6 good quarters isn't good enough to move Staley to the right side. A real bonafide stud at LT and i have no problem moving Staley. I wouldn't mind him as a back up.
Barry has been a surprise so far this season

I thought he would have been a liability, but he has shown some strong play at LT.
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
Should we keep Barry as the starter on the left and move Staley to the right were he played great. Also leave him there and go after a stud LT in the off-season and sign Barry as the back up over there at LT and draft a RT for Staley's back up.

Why should this even be an option? Staley did pretty well his rookie year at RT. Sims OBVIOUSLY sucks at that spot. But has been pretty damn solid at LT.

This is a no brainer imho. You start Sims at Left and Staley at right.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by lamontb:
Sorry but sims playing 6 good quarters isn't good enough to move Staley to the right side. A real bonafide stud at LT and i have no problem moving Staley. I wouldn't mind him as a back up.

Okay then WHOM pray tell Starts at RT if Sims is a "Backup" still?

We get killed off the edge there right now. If Sims were to be moved BACK to RT we STILL get killed.

So are you still a fan of having a solid blocker ride pine waiting to get back on the field?

~Ceadder
This is why I believe leaving Sim at LT put Staley at RT online stable move Synder to RG if you need to if not wait until next year. All this could start to fix our online issues now and later. LG would be the only question mark.
If he continues to play well then yes. Regardless we still need a stud OT in the draft.
Originally posted by miked1978:
If he continues to play well then yes. Regardless we still need a stud OT in the draft.

I agree, I think Staley needs to move back to the right side and we need to sign a stud at LT the tackle position would then be fix.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I agree, I think Staley needs to move back to the right side and we need to sign a stud at LT the tackle position would then be fix.

Screw a "stud OT".

Yes I want an OT in the draft. But I want one that is a solid player who has only played RG and RT in his academic career. This drafting an "OT" because they are BPA is for the birds. Staley wasn't baaaaad at the RT spot but it was a spot he HAD to learn.

When in the history of this team have we had more than a couple of guys perform admirably out of their natural position? I can only think of a handful of guys and they were spread out over the last 30 or so years. Derrick Deese being one of them. Not ONE of our guys on the Line are even in Deese's class imho.

We need the freakin Scouts to insist on players who FIT not players who MAY fill a need. Our scouts seriously have to be better than what we've been seeing on Game day.

At least when Joe returns, having played out of position at RT and not being too bad, should be able to hold down the spot for the rest of the Season barring injury. Knock on wood and all that stuff considered.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by lamontb:

What is wrong with Staley?? Why move him if he has one of the only 2 solid players on this s**tty O-Line??

• Antix
  • Veteran
Sims does play much better on the Left but I still don't trust him. Too many bad memories
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Antix:
Sims does play much better on the Left but I still don't trust him. Too many bad memories
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Why should this even be an option? Staley did pretty well his rookie year at RT. Sims OBVIOUSLY sucks at that spot. But has been pretty damn solid at LT.

~Ceadder

Co-signed.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Co-signed.

look at the big picture, we just gave Staley a 7 year extension to be our LT for a long time. we already moved him once and such a large and long financial commitment to the guy we need to give him consistency and try and let him realize 100% of his potential.

Sims has played well at LT but the guy historically SUCKS the Raiders cut him for God's sakes. I hope he continues to play well but I would not jeapordize Staley's development for Barry Sims.
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by Antix:

o yeah this play. God sims got beat bad.
Share 49ersWebzone